PDA

View Full Version : '86 250R A-arms removal

alex guedea
07-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm trying to remove the A-arms from the hub but cannot. I've removed the A-arms from the frame so I have the entire front left suspension out in one piece. I was able to remove the hub later on but now want to free the A-arms from the streeing knuckle (I think it's called). I got instructions on tapping the A-arms out of the knuckle but they are NOT coming out, they look as if they're machine pressed in, or it seems. I've also seen a special HONDA tool used to extract the A-arms, but I don't have such a device.

Can anyone please provide detail instructions on how to do so?

Thanks,

Hondo.

ZSK
07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Here's a good thread, follow the links in the thread. They are a tappered fit into the knuckle.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42855&highlight=ball+joint+removal

TBD
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
ishock and Motion Pro both make tools to extract the ball joint from the knuckles. If you don't want to buy the tool then what you need to do is use a hammer. Actually two hammers. You need to put one hammer on one side of the knuckle where the ball joint pin is in the knuckle and then hit the other side of the knuckle with the other hammer. This should be enough of a shock that the tappered pin will come out of the knuckle. If you didn't totally uderstand this I can try a different way to explain it to you. I would suggest buying the tool.

Caseys 300ex
07-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Or for free go to autozone and rent a tool that takes the ball joints out. You have to pay a deposit but you get the money back when u return the tool.

lghickman21
07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
if you tap on the knuckle with a hammer they will seperate. And by tap i do mean beat on the knuckle. if you have it all off hold on to one of the arms and let the rest dangle while you peck the knuckle and gravity will help a little.