PDA

View Full Version : 2 lt-r motor failures

dg26
07-26-2006, 11:01 AM
On july 2nd the motor in my lt-r had a complete top end failure. it started making a funny sound and then i tore it apart in the pits and took the head cover off and all the cam cover bolts were backed out a quarter inch, we tightened the bolts but it back together and called it good but it still made some weird noises so monday i took it to the dealership and found out that it was worse than i expected. the head, cams, valves, cylinder, and piston were toast. i ended up having to pay for the cylinder and piston, warranty covered the head, cams, misc. gaskets, and the labor. and also a couple weekends ago a buddy of mine seized up his motor on his lt-r, i went down to the dealership and saw the pieces it wasn't good the wrist pin went through the piston and the rod was all bent to hell, the more they tear it apart the worse it gets, and this was after the techs there went through and checked the valves and torqued all the top end bolts. the lt-r's are a great quad but the reliability isn't there

Ex_Rider43
07-26-2006, 08:33 PM
last week while we were practicing , 2 of them broke , and another person that I know broke his too , the warrenty covers everything but all the parts are on back order until september :(

†2005 400ex†
07-26-2006, 11:06 PM
This surprises me because i know honda has always been the leader in reliability, but personally i think [or i guess thaught] that the major atv manufacturers* have all become pretty reliable. I geuss i was wrong:(

QuadJunkies
07-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by †2005 400ex†
This surprises me because i know honda has always been the leader in reliability, but personally i think [or i guess thaught] that the major atv manufacturers* have all become pretty reliable. I geuss i was wrong:(

He was talking about the Suzuki ,not the Honda from what I just read ;)

We had a wrist pin do the same amt of damage to our Predator and them some and it NEVER ran the same afterall the carnage it done to the motor :( It was a constant battle to get threw one ride or race

†2005 400ex†
07-27-2006, 08:05 AM
lol ya ik, of course this wouldnt happen to a honda:D i was talking about suzuki

CannondaleRider
07-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Friend of mines uncle had a serious problem with 4th gear, then I've seen FAR to many of them sitting on the tires at races, from the linkage point breaking.

But of course, Cannondales are the only unreliable race bike out there right?:rolleyes:

....Just getting tired of people telling me that the Cannondales will never be up to par, performance and reliability wise, with the factory 450s

And also, i've seen Hondas have breaks anywhere from a simple top end, to main bearings siezing, to rods going through cases.

badvox
07-29-2006, 08:55 PM
2 motors out of how many and you're saying the reliability isnt there? That a little much isnt it? 2 motors does not make an entire build unreliable.

Do you really think 2 hondas never blew up? or 2 yamis? Please.

†2005 400ex†
07-30-2006, 10:51 PM
I wasnt tryin to knock any company:ermm:

Vindex Injuriae
07-31-2006, 12:57 AM
My roommate has been runnin his LTR in MX since he bought it this spring - other than it not wanting to start when its hot he hasn't had a single prob with the motor, frame or trans. In fact, the bike has been a flawless performer.... Just the hot start issue to figure out at some point.

dg26
07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
BADVOX the motor failures were 2 out of the 10 around my area so 20% failure rate is pretty high plus another guy brought his in because of trans problems so make that 30% failure rate that is really unreliable to me but i love the quad, holeshoting and winning motocross races with a stock quad versus full mod yfz's and trx's is really sweet

badvox
07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by dg26
BADVOX the motor failures were 2 out of the 10 around my area so 20% failure rate is pretty high plus another guy brought his in because of trans problems so make that 30% failure rate that is really unreliable to me but i love the quad, holeshoting and winning motocross races with a stock quad versus full mod yfz's and trx's is really sweet

Cool and I can understand your point. However, there were more than 10 made. It could be incredibly bad luck that 2 were in your area of 10.

No brawlin from me I just think its premature to say at this point.