PDA

View Full Version : Who hunts?

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I am a dedicated waterfowler in the fall, who else enjoys hunting as much as I do??
We got a 14 foot flat bottom tracker thats camo'd up that we hunt out of. I enjoy hunting deer, turkey, and upland game as well.
I just bought a digital camcorder, so I will be recording some hunting this fall. I will post the vids. Cant wait till September teal/goose season.
Waterfowlers, check out: http://www.duckhuntingchat.com

:D :D

Mx_523
07-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Pappy hunts. Wait until deer season rolls around. You'll see a lot of members that hunt.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Mx_523
Pappy hunts. Wait until deer season rolls around. You'll see a lot of members that hunt.

im 1 of them:)

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Holy chit!! I posted this and you replied within 5 seconds. You all are quick.

Pappy, You got any good hunting pics?? Thats one thing I really regret, I never took any pics of our hunts...Like I said, I now have a digital camcorder and will get some good footage!

Hunters, check out: http://www.huntingfootage.com

Spring/summer= riding on the quad
Fall/winter= Shooting some ducks

Does it get any better?? :p

FourFiftyFour
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
bad chevy- what kind of dog do you have for retrieving the ducks?

There is this breed of dog called the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever that is supposed to be the best duck dog ever...they actually can lure in ducks by what is known as "Tolling." That is how they got their name. They look like mini Golden Retrievers. I might try to get one in a few years when I get a house bc they seem to be a great pet and a good dog for hunting and outdoors as well.

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
bad chevy- what kind of dog do you have for retrieving the ducks?

There is this breed of dog called the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever that is supposed to be the best duck dog ever...they actually can lure in ducks by what is known as "Tolling." That is how they got their name. They look like mini Golden Retrievers. I might try to get one in a few years when I get a house bc they seem to be a great pet and a good dog for hunting and outdoors as well.

They are great dogs ..... very expensive .... but awesome dogs . A lot of hunters up here use them . Here's some info about them if you want . http://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/toller_info.htm

As far as hunting goes . I usually hunt for moose and partridge in the fall . I'm also going to give duck hunting a try with my new Chocolate lab this fall . He'll be of perfect age to start training him to retrieve. :devil:

FourFiftyFour
07-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
They are great dogs ..... very expensive .... but awesome dogs . A lot of hunters up here use them . Here's some info about them if you want . http://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/toller_info.htm

yeah thats why im going to wait to buy one, they are really pricey bc they are still a rare breed. Itll probably be a few years before I buy one.

exrider008
07-26-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm also going to give duck hunting a try

u will love duck hinting, it is my favorite animal to hunt cuz there is so much action unlike deer hunting were u have to sit and wait.:ermm:

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
yeah thats why im going to wait to buy one, they are really pricey bc they are still a rare breed. Itll probably be a few years before I buy one.

Ya they are pricey , but buying a breed while it's still "rare" has it's advantages that you probably already know about .

If you wait for a breed to become very popular , there's an increased risk of the dog developping genetic problems because it is being bred so much and often done in a wrong manner by those that are inexperienced . Once people start cross breeding or breeding with dogs that have a certain problem , the problem can enter into the gene pool and transfer down to others of the family . As I was reading on the website I provided , there are new problems comming out with this dog . The Clubs have now recognized a problem with the eyes of this breed that was not present before . This is a direct result of people breeding without first having the dogs properly examined .

When we bought our chocolate lab , he was fairly pricey . We paid $700 for him , but he's a purebred with all documentations showing a clean pedigree . I was able to look and obtain a medical history of his decendants , dating back 5 generations . It was very reassuring knowing that I'm not buying a dog that has a history of heart problems or early development of hip dysplasia . I could have bought another lab for $250 , but he wouldn't have had any documents and he would have come from a breeder that breeds the same dog a few times per year , which is not healthy for the dog or it's pups . ( ie increased risk of diseases) .

I guess what I'm trying to say , is that if you decide on this breed and that you really want it , don't try and find the cheapest breeder around and don't wait until the breed becomes very popular . Act on it as soon as possible , and I'll bet you won't ever regret it .

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by exrider008
u will love duck hinting, it is my favorite animal to hunt cuz there is so much action unlike deer hunting were u have to sit and wait.:ermm:

Ya deer hunting ain't my thing . Up here deer season with a gun is open for 1 week and it's in November . If you're ever been up this way , you'll know that November is usually really f'ing cold and chances are there's usually a few inches of snow .

Sitting up in a tree stand for hours freezing my nuts off isn't my idea of fun . I'm mostly into partridge hunting and moose hunting .... atleast with those I can drive around with the quad . :devil:

Duck hunting will be a relatively new experience , especially with the dog . I just hope he takes well to it. :cool:

exrider008
07-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Ya deer hunting ain't my thing . Up here deer season with a gun is open for 1 week and it's in November . If you're ever been up this way , you'll know that November is usually really f'ing cold and chances are there's usually a few inches of snow .

Sitting up in a tree stand for hours freezing my nuts off isn't my idea of fun . I'm mostly into partridge hunting and moose hunting .... atleast with those I can drive around with the quad . :devil:

Duck hunting will be a relatively new experience , especially with the dog . I just hope he takes well to it. :cool:

haha ya i know what u mean i live in vermont and it is frezzing in november.

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 10:55 AM
We got 2 labs. One chocolate and one black lag. One is getting too old to hunt and cant handle cold weather any more. The other one will rip the boat blind apart when someone fires a shot. Hes still a youngin and we are trying to teach him hand signals and complex commands, but hes a GREAT dog.
Greg,
Duck hunting is where its at, and you are definately in the right place for it!! Canada winters a lot of birds!! I want to come to cancada and go goose hunting, but too busy with school.
Anyone got any pics they would like to share? :)

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
We got 2 labs. One chocolate and one black lag. One is getting too old to hunt and cant handle cold weather any more. The other one will rip the boat blind apart when someone fires a shot. Hes still a youngin and we are trying to teach him hand signals and complex commands, but hes a GREAT dog.
Greg,
Duck hunting is where its at, and you are definately in the right place for it!! Canada winters a lot of birds!! I want to come to cancada and go goose hunting, but too busy with school.
Anyone got any pics they would like to share? :)

I'm in the process of teaching my lab hand signals as well as whistle signals . He has caught on very quickly to both , especially the hand signals , but there's still a lot of improvement to be made . Being he's still just a pup ( 7 months old as of yesturday) , he'll go out into the water to fetch something but then loses concentration and drops whatever he's got and goes after something else . It's something we're working on fixing . LOL

If you ever make it up this way , check out this website . They are a fly-in fishing and hunting outpost camps and the company is based right out of the town I live in .... actually it's just down the street from me ( less than 1/2 mile away) . I can assure you , these guys aren't fly-by-night operations ..... I've lived in this same town for 22 years now , and for 22 year they've been flying overtop of us hundreds of times per day . My cousin's husband was one of the main pilots for them 2 years ago , and if I decide to go get my float license , I'll be dealing with these people .

Asides from them be top class ....the hunting and fishing they offer is amazing . Often when I go down to the lake to swim and do some training with the dog , I see a bunch of trucks with US license plates and talk with guys comming back from their 5 or 7 day stay at one of the camps . These guys come back year after year .

Anyways , here's the website .... check them out . http://www.sudburyaviation.on.ca/

400exrider99
07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
i hunt mostly quail, chucker and pheasant.

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm in the process of teaching my lab hand signals as well as whistle signals . He has caught on very quickly to both , especially the hand signals , but there's still a lot of improvement to be made . Being he's still just a pup ( 7 months old as of yesturday) , he'll go out into the water to fetch something but then loses concentration and drops whatever he's got and goes after something else . It's something we're working on fixing . LOL

If you ever make it up this way , check out this website . They are a fly-in fishing and hunting outpost camps and the company is based right out of the town I live in .... actually it's just down the street from me ( less than 1/2 mile away) . I can assure you , these guys aren't fly-by-night operations ..... I've lived in this same town for 22 years now , and for 22 year they've been flying overtop of us hundreds of times per day . My cousin's husband was one of the main pilots for them 2 years ago , and if I decide to go get my float license , I'll be dealing with these people .

Asides from them be top class ....the hunting and fishing they offer is amazing . Often when I go down to the lake to swim and do some training with the dog , I see a bunch of trucks with US license plates and talk with guys comming back from their 5 or 7 day stay at one of the camps . These guys come back year after year .

Anyways , here's the website .... check them out . http://www.sudburyaviation.on.ca/

Right on, thanks for the link...Dogs take a lot... a whole lot.... of time to train, properly!! A highly trained dog is not replaceable. I hope your pup isnt gun shy, that is a hard trait to break!! I hunted with a guy that had a dog that didnt mind if he shot, but when another person shot...he would head to the next county...damndest thing!! Our old female, the chocolate lab, is very very well trained, you can almost talk to her and she acts like she understands. The black lab, Cody (never mentioned his name) still needs some improvement, but is doing very well. I wounded a duck last year and I'll bet he ran a half mile, if not more, to go fetch that duck. I only let him go, becuase I could keep an eye on him all the way there, I dont like the dogs to be outta site or too far away. ;)

Pappy
07-26-2006, 11:55 AM
who me...hunt:p

Pappy
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
A few pics of the deer on the property (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84565&highlight=buck)

and both my boys and the wife can fill the freezer also

Pappy
07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Cody and Ryan both got blooded when they were 7

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Pappy,
I'm starting to think that me and you have a lot in common. Very nice buck/Pics!! :cool:

Do you do any waterfowl hunting, Pappy?

Pappy
07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Cody dropped his first deer at a shade over 150 yards. he followed that up with 2 more later in the week including a 183 yard neck shot. He said he would out her down with a neck shot and he did:p

Pappy
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Pappy,
I'm starting to think that me and you have a lot in common. Very nice buck/Pics!! :cool:

Do you do any waterfowl hunting, Pappy?

I shoot alot of geese. I havent ever been goose or duck hunting like alot of folks have in the country(on the water), but I tear them up in the cornfields.

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I shoot alot of geese. I havent ever been goose or duck hunting like alot of folks have in the country(on the water), but I tear them up in the cornfields.
Do you set decoys and layout blinds, or do you shoot em with a rifle?

Pappy
07-26-2006, 12:04 PM
depending on the farm, i will decoy them. ive had good luck calling them in as they come off the local lake and set out to feed. i use a remington 870 with T shot, most shots are 50 yards or so unless they come in to the decoys.

coolex
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
i have a question for the people in canada, to hunt moose is it a lottery i know her in nh, it is a lottery system whether or not you get your hunting license (for moose).

also in southern nh your not aloud to hunt deer with a rifle (which sucks cuz im a very good marksmen with a rifle.

ive never been duck hunting but would like to because im really good at trap shooting and have won awards doing it.

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by coolex
i have a question for the people in canada, to hunt moose is it a lottery i know her in nh, it is a lottery system whether or not you get your hunting license (for moose).

also in southern nh your not aloud to hunt deer with a rifle (which sucks cuz im a very good marksmen with a rifle.

ive never been duck hunting but would like to because im really good at trap shooting and have won awards doing it.

Ya it's a lottery system for us up here . You buy the license , which automatically allows you to shoot a Calf ..... you then apply to the MNR ( Ministry of Natural Resources... same as your DNR) and they enter you into the lottery . When you apply , you specify whether you're most interested in a bull or a cow .... then it goes from there ... but no matter what , even if you don't get a bull or cow tag , you're able to go out and shoot a calf . That's for our residents .

I know that for most Americans that come up here , they pay a certain amount above the price of a lodge and they'll get either a cow or bull tag . The fishing and hunting outpost camps/lodges are granted a certain number of tags every year by the MNR to sell to their customers . This way , the customers don't have to apply for a tag . If you were to come up here and not go to a lodge , but rather just go hunt , you'd have to contact the district MNR office that you'll be hunting in and see how to go about getting or applying for a tag .

We get a LOT of americans that come up here for the bear season . Seems most of you guys are crazy about bear hunting . LOL . I've never taken an interest in bear hunting .... but if you're interested , the area I live in is overpopulated with them . Most guys shoot their bear on the first day ... then it's another 6 days of drinking . LOL :p

Pappy , those are some awesoem pictures . Are those taken right off your property?? Also when does deer season open for you guys ?? It looks nice and warm out .

gpd005
07-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm into hunting! Got this one last year with my Bow!

My wife divorses me every October so i can head to the woods!:D
Then we get back togeather sometime in December!:devil:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/gpd005/DeerPics003.jpg

coolex
07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Ya it's a lottery system for us up here . You buy the license , which automatically allows you to shoot a Calf ..... you then apply to the MNR ( Ministry of Natural Resources... same as your DNR) and they enter you into the lottery . When you apply , you specify whether you're most interested in a bull or a cow .... then it goes from there ... but no matter what , even if you don't get a bull or cow tag , you're able to go out and shoot a calf . That's for our residents .

I know that for most Americans that come up here , they pay a certain amount above the price of a lodge and they'll get either a cow or bull tag . The fishing and hunting outpost camps/lodges are granted a certain number of tags every year by the MNR to sell to their customers . This way , the customers don't have to apply for a tag . If you were to come up here and not go to a lodge , but rather just go hunt , you'd have to contact the district MNR office that you'll be hunting in and see how to go about getting or applying for a tag .

We get a LOT of americans that come up here for the bear season . Seems most of you guys are crazy about bear hunting . LOL . I've never taken an interest in bear hunting .... but if you're interested , the area I live in is overpopulated with them . Most guys shoot their bear on the first day ... then it's another 6 days of drinking . LOL :p

Pappy , those are some awesoem pictures . Are those taken right off your property?? Also when does deer season open for you guys ?? It looks nice and warm out .

thanks, i wasnt sure if you guys had the lottery or not so thanks for clearing that up

i dont know exact dates but its fall to early winter in nh

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 12:37 PM
thanks, i wasnt sure if you guys had the lottery or not so thanks for clearing that up

i dont know exact dates but its fall to early winter in nh

Here's a website for you . Click on Moose and it'll give you the regulations regarding the hunt up here . About half way down is the restrictions and regulations for non-residents . I didn't read it all , so you can take a look if you're interested .

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html#hunting

Pappy
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM

Yes, and 2 of the bucks pictured were killed here also. There is nothing more satisfying then taking a wall hanger on your own land.

The wife informs me each year of our meat needs, and I fill the freezer. 15 is the lowest number we can get away with, usually I have to kill 40 or so to get us through the year. we dont buy any beef:p

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Nice buck gpd. Bow hunting whitetails is great!! I shoot a High country bow, never killed a deer, but I shot a 175lb. hog...that was a rush!!

I got to diggin and found a pic from a couple years back. The guy on the left is a co worker that decided to give duck hunting a try, he lasted 2 outings and then hung up the waders...what a puss!!
:p
This was a very slow morning, I usually only shoot puddler ducks, but I figured I would kill a few mergansers that day!!! :D
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/Picture009.jpg

CannondaleRider
07-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm "into" hunting.

The only thing i've hunted is Dove, and Quail. But haven't went in a couple years. Just been to busy with other things. Planning on getting back into it this year

I've always wanted to get into many other forms of hunting, from waterfowl, to upland, to big game....just have never got the chance.

I have a German Shorthair pointer that I was training a while back. He was going to be a great gun dog, and retriever. He was catching on to hand signals and whistle signals. I was training him when we were into hunting more, but when we slowly backed away from hunting, I stopped training him. Now that i'm getting back into it, i've started making an attempt at training him. He's had a couple years off, but he remembers some stuff well, and others not at all. He's a real smart dog, so hopefully i'll be able to continue training even at his age. I think its a little late though:ermm:

ohsobad_chevy
07-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
I'm "into" hunting.

The only thing i've hunted is Dove, and Quail. But haven't went in a couple years. Just been to busy with other things. Planning on getting back into it this year

I've always wanted to get into many other forms of hunting, from waterfowl, to upland, to big game....just have never got the chance.

I have a German Shorthair pointer that I was training a while back. He was going to be a great gun dog, and retriever. He was catching on to hand signals and whistle signals. I was training him when we were into hunting more, but when we slowly backed away from hunting, I stopped training him. Now that i'm getting back into it, i've started making an attempt at training him. He's had a couple years off, but he remembers some stuff well, and others not at all. He's a real smart dog, so hopefully i'll be able to continue training even at his age. I think its a little late though:ermm:
Like I said before...training a dog is hard work and time consuming, have patience and your dog will amaze you!! Good luck this year. :)

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I like to fish , I like to hunt , but most of all , I like the ..... ;)

quads14589
07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
i hunt last yr i got 1 spike horn and one turkey we took it easy but this yr we r going hard:devil:

tar
07-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I love to hunt I hunt deer,quail,pheasent,dove, and coyotes

Quad Boy 660r
07-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Just curious Pappy, but what caliber rifle do your kids use? And do you have many coyotes down there?

My science teacher talks about how great the hunting is in West Virginia.

suck my pipe
07-26-2006, 08:14 PM
7mm Remington mag.

400exrules
07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Yes, and 2 of the bucks pictured were killed here also. There is nothing more satisfying then taking a wall hanger on your own land.

The wife informs me each year of our meat needs, and I fill the freezer. 15 is the lowest number we can get away with, usually I have to kill 40 or so to get us through the year. we dont buy any beef:p

holy crap! yall eat a lil bit of deer dont ya!

400exrules
07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Nice buck gpd. Bow hunting whitetails is great!! I shoot a High country bow, never killed a deer, but I shot a 175lb. hog...that was a rush!!

I got to diggin and found a pic from a couple years back. The guy on the left is a co worker that decided to give duck hunting a try, he lasted 2 outings and then hung up the waders...what a puss!!
:p
This was a very slow morning, I usually only shoot puddler ducks, but I figured I would kill a few mergansers that day!!! :D
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/Picture009.jpg

you look like your crappin your pants in that pic lmfao

Pappy
07-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Quad Boy 660r
Just curious Pappy, but what caliber rifle do your kids use? And do you have many coyotes down there?

My science teacher talks about how great the hunting is in West Virginia.

I use a Remington 700 Ultra Light in 30-06. We have a few, but they are not so numerous around here YET. I want to kill a few of them, and I kind of hope they do not make it around this area.

WV has alot to offer, but hunting can be hard. Heavy pressure leads to smaller bucks. Noone even knew my buck existed until i dropped him, now the neighbors are rethinking shooting the first buck they see.

Pappy
07-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
holy crap! yall eat a lil bit of deer dont ya!

Yes, we tend to prefer it over beef, and at $7+ a pound for a beef steak, its a might bit cheaper:p

I also (we) love goose. I use it just like beef in stews and soups. I dont really like snow geese as much but I will eat most anything especially if I kill it.

trick250r
07-26-2006, 08:29 PM
my grandpap got me into it when i was young... loved it ever since. how do you guys hunt for deer? do you hunt in a stand or do you drive em out? up around here (wheeling, northern panhandle), there are more does than bucks so its hard to find wall hangers... its just the exact opposite right across the river. whats the longest you've ever had to drag to get back to the truck (yea, i mean without a quad) i think the farthest ive ever had to drag was around 3 1/2 miles downhill.

Pappy
07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
in maryland, all i do is stand hunt. in wv, i stand hunt and also stalk. people that know me and my background know that 800 yards shots are the norm for me if available and the ridges in this state make that a dream come true for me:p 2 years ago, we saw a small buck on another ridge, 3 of us standing over a doe the one guy had killed. we hit it with my range finder and it was at 540 yards. i dropped it:p I LIVE FOR THE LONG SHOT! when i hunt a stand that allows me the distance, i use a 300 ultra mag with my handloads.

as far as dragging, i have no idea how far i was back in the middle of nowhere when i killed a small buck. thankfully a downhill drag in snow helped. i did drag one far enough one time that i wore the hide off down to the meat:ermm:

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 08:54 PM
There is nothing worse than having to drag a moose out of a swamp .... especially when it's waist deep loon chit ( aka muskeg .... soupy swamp) .

Having to quarter it in a musquitoe infested swamp then drag it out has to be the worse thing ever . A lesson was learned that day .

We now wait till the moose is done eating and hits dry land before shooting .

Pappy
07-26-2006, 08:55 PM
My wife wants me to get a moose so she can have the head mounted:p Believe it or not, I have no interest in killing a moose:p

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 09:02 PM
My wife wants me to get a moose so she can have the head mounted:p Believe it or not, I have no interest in killing a moose:p

:eek2: I'm shocked . I'd have thought for sure you'd be one for moose hunting . If you ever change your mind , let me know .... you can be a guest up at the cottage and I'll change your mind real quick about not wanting to drop one .

I had the opportunity a few years back to see a moose just like the one in this picture while out riding our quads with my dad and his buddy . We stopped and watched it from across a small river for about 10 minutes . It wasn't hunting season but we called it and he responded . Truely an amazing animal to see . If it was hunting season , I would have had a hard time dropping him since it was amazing at how beautiful he looked .

http://www.wildnatureimages.com/I%20to%20R/IGLOOBULLMOOSE2..jpg

Pappy
07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
haha thanks for the offer.

i have no idea why, i dont see them as anything more then freezer meat, but its just an animal ive never really considered hunting. i doubt i would pass up a chance to hunt one though:D

ELewandowski
07-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I hunt just deer right now. 870 for rifle season, and a Bear Grizzly 55# recurve for bow season. My first year going traditional.

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 09:12 PM
haha thanks for the offer.

i have no idea why, i dont see them as anything more then freezer meat, but its just an animal ive never really considered hunting. i doubt i would pass up a chance to hunt one though:D

Just out of curiosity , have you ever had moose meat ?? ( probably a dumb question to ask) . I find it has a totally different taste from all other meats . A nice wild taste .

My ranking on meat goes .

1. Moose meat
2. Deer
3. Cow .

coolex
07-26-2006, 09:16 PM
do u guys ever make jerky out of deer meat ive never had it (had venison but never venise jerky)???

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 09:21 PM
do u guys ever make jerky out of deer meat ive never had it (had venison but never venise jerky)???

My uncle does it all the time ..... soooooooo good !!!!!!

Pappy
07-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Just out of curiosity , have you ever had moose meat ?? ( probably a dumb question to ask) . I find it has a totally different taste from all other meats . A nice wild taste .

My ranking on meat goes .

1. Moose meat
2. Deer
3. Cow .

I had it once at a bowshoot. every one brought a dish and moose was one of them.

I think the most memorable meal of game I ever ate was when 2 buddies stopped by camp on their way home from a mule deer/elk hunt. we had fresh steaks from each and they were so good:p

Quad18star
07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
I had it once at a bowshoot. every one brought a dish and moose was one of them.

I think the most memorable meal of game I ever ate was when 2 buddies stopped by camp on their way home from a mule deer/elk hunt. we had fresh steaks from each and they were so good:p

I've only had the chance to try Elk once , and it wasn't wild meat ... it was from Elk that were raised on a farm .

Elk hunting is illegal around here since they are an endangered species . A few years back a group was released and they seem to be taking very well .... maybe in 10 years or so , I'll be able to do Elk hunting in the area .

I got a few packs of moose meat down in the freezer that my girlfriend's uncle shot last year . I never think of cooking it up . :ermm:

LTZ400rider
07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quad18star
[B]I'm in the process of teaching my lab hand signals as well as whistle signals . He has caught on very quickly to both , especially the hand signals , but there's still a lot of improvement to be made . Being he's still just a pup ( 7 months old as of yesturday) , he'll go out into the water to fetch something but then loses concentration and drops whatever he's got and goes after something else . It's something we're working on fixing . LOL

try ritalin

i used to hunt but now i hate it, sitting next to a tree for hours freezin my *** off, then after shootin the damn deer u gotta chase him

:p i think im done with hunting, too bad i just got 22 acres a couple years ago o well

bansheexcracer2
07-26-2006, 11:19 PM
I hunt from september through febuary. It dont matter what I hunt as long as i am in the woods. I used to do alot of fishing but then i got into racing quads. I will only use one shotgun, REMINGTON 870 PUMP, and two brands of bows, HOYT and FRED BEAR. I dont belive in hunting with rifles.

Pappy
07-27-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by bansheexcracer2
I dont belive in hunting with rifles.

LOL....yet you use a computer, drive a car, and use toilet papaer:D

Quad Boy 660r
07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
HA, you cant even use them for hunting in Indiana.

ohsobad_chevy
07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
My choice for killing a deer is a bow, but I will not hesitate to shoot one with a rifle. The deer on our hunting land are not that big, so I usually kill a deer for meat, meaning I find a 100 lb. doe and shoot it. Deer hunting, for some reason, got old to me. I tried duck/goose hunting and I have been so hooked, I havent shot a deer in 2 years. I think I will sharpen the broadheads and hang a stand this year though!! I got a little hony hole picked out that holds a few deer. :p

ohsobad_chevy
08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
you look like your crappin your pants in that pic lmfao
ROFL...I got hit in the eye with a snowflake when he snapped the picture! :p

ak_stick
08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Moose, Caribou, Deer, Bear, Wolf, Elk, Duck, Goose, I hunt em all.

Pappy, you come to AK and we'll getcha a moose.

Never had a year without moose meat in as long as I can remember.

Now duck, well lets just say its a good thing duck isn't the only thing I eat.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/bear.jpg

ohsobad_chevy
08-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I used to not be able to stand duck. I learned a new recipe and secret that makes it taste OK. Soak it in milk for a whole day, in the frig. Takes a lot of game flavor out of it. :cool:

ak_stick
08-01-2006, 12:11 PM
the NSDTR is a wonderful dog I have never met one I couldn't get along with. And having staffed a vet clinic, and worked with dogs for over 15 years (dog shows, working dog seminars, MP and attack dog classes and family pets), I think its one of the very very few dogs I've never been bitten by.

However, they are kinda plauged by Hip Dysplasia, from the few people I know who own them (total of 5 dogs) the breeders are currently trying to cull the flock of breedable dogs with dysplasia, so thats an up side. However its rather hard to find a good doc who realy knows much about them.

I have the exact same issue with my pet of choice, the PBGV.

My huntin buddys
Geevees, AKA GV, AKA idiot, stupid, furball, whatever else I seem to call him. This dog is about as cool as a dog can be. He'll even get drunk and sleep in with you....
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/gv050602.jpg

And AJ.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/aj050602.jpg

I also have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, named DD, she's just a house dog now, but used to be a champion show dog, great great dog.

I had another, Abby, but sadly, while I've been in Iraq, she passed away, she was going on 15 years old, and was getting blind, arthritic, and deaf. Thats probably the dog I'll miss the most, at 12 I trained her myself, and took two herding titles (sheep and cattle) Not bad for a 12 year old kid and a 3 yr old dog...

Chicksdigme423
08-01-2006, 12:16 PM
i like to go out and shoot a buck and a doe in rifle...

but small game is my favorite... this is my rabbit dog... akc registered basset hound

TRX_450
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
hunt?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/pf2e0960a8d908beef6295e083f5b408d/edb70ee4.jpg

fish?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p40e5af9e365ed2c0189a50f6932bf1e8/edb70eda.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p209ea36f1c14921d1cd6b9e0f1aceabb/edb70ed0.jpg

trap?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/p5e9125d5eb21a2edfef9fe06dbefe522/f51790ce.jpg

ak_stick
08-01-2006, 12:50 PM
damn dude, you need to throw those fish back!

ohsobad_chevy
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Throw em back??? No Way!! :rolleyes:

ak_stick
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
dude, I had guppies bigger than that.

fatkid400
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
im 1 of them:)

cletusEX
08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
I hunt sika deer and ducks on Md eastern shore. For those who don't know what a sika deer is here are a few pics of some of the mounts we have in the basement.

cletusEX
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
more pics

cletusEX
08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
This one is around 4th in the state with a muzzleloader, my brother shot it a few years back.

groundhog_464
08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
my wife and i both hunt heres a pic of us in texas this year turkey hunting.

groundhog_464
08-01-2006, 03:21 PM
my wife's first deer EVER!!! Lucky!

groundhog_464
08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
me with a 10 point i killed this past fall with my bow

groundhog_464
08-01-2006, 03:24 PM
in other words yes we like to hunt

ohsobad_chevy
08-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Nice turkey/bucks. First deer...wow...thats a nice buck. My first deer was a button buck, actually thought it was a doe, but you know how that goes. :o