PDA

View Full Version : im going racin...need some tips

Pappy
08-21-2002, 11:52 AM
ok...i havent raced a bunch lately and will be attending my first gncc race in september. anyone got some tips for me? for the next 3 weeks i will be getting my endurance up thru riding..swimming and bicycling.

i will have 2 full sets of razors to take and just ordered a new prm rear skid from the quadshop. the quad is ready i think...all except a new chain which i wil get tomarrow.

any advice on that course (millfeild? ohio) or anything else ya wanna tell me i will be listening...thanks.....kenny

08-21-2002, 11:55 AM
don't drink too much beer the night before. trust me i have done that.

Pappy
08-21-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
don't drink too much beer the night before. trust me i have done that.

ok....this race is gonna cut into rico's training program:eek:

what about light beer:blah

cant wait ta meet ya there gnccer:blah

08-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Jeff was tellin me at the quadshop last week that it's a fairly easy race with a MX track thrown in there..:macho

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Drink lots and lots of water! Like 1 gallon a day the week before the race (not beer or lite beer). The track isn't too difficult, just a little wore out from racing there for a number of years. The MX track is mostly natural terrain stuff with some small doubles and table tops thrown in.

08-21-2002, 01:59 PM
the last d-11 race we had there we cut about 2 miles of tight new trails and they said they are going to at more new stuff before the national. It will still all be pretty easy stuff.

Sparks425Ex
08-21-2002, 03:18 PM
Jeff is right. Alot of water is key to racing. O yeah that skid was a good idea. What do you have for front Tires. I am thinking those radials might not fair to well. But i don't know the track youtalkin about so that is iffy.

Light beer mixed with water could be a new before race drink you could test out. If it turns into anythign great i am gonna have to take credit. lol

Good Luck

JabberJaw
08-21-2002, 04:14 PM
These are just a few ideas ... I use them when I race and I have placed nothing less than 1st every time.

Tip 1 (2 step)
Step 1 - Before the race starts be sure to rub a generous amount of vasoline on each competitors seat cover.
Step 2 - Remove thier footpegs.

Tip 2
Fill thier tires with water. (this slows them down quite a bit)

Tip 3
Pour bubble soap into thier exhaust pipe until completely full.

Tip 4
Put a small amount of Ben-Gay into thier goggles.

Tip 5
Place a small amount of NAIR in thier helmet.

Tip 6
Place a generous amount of oil on the outside of thier exhaust pipe. (classic)

Tip 7 (really evil, sorry mom)
Pee in thier gas tank. (water works ok too)

Final Tip
Ride fast, even after they hand you the trophy!

Pappy
08-21-2002, 04:35 PM
jabber.....me and 2 R's are rotfloao!!! good tips....dave sez he will try them!!!

Doibugu2
08-21-2002, 04:35 PM
LMAO:D

BadA$$440
08-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Thats was the funniest thing ive heard Jabber, ROFLMAO, i migh have to try it my first race to

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 08:41 PM
What class are you going to run Kenny?

Pappy
08-21-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
What class are you going to run Kenny?

well i was thinkin 30 + or vet. i havent researched the gncc classes as of yet. any suggestions?

i hope only to finish the race....i hope to run a full season in our local hare scrambles points series and make 5 - 8 gncc races next season.

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Ya run vet, you'll start in the row behind me. You'll also be racing Marty!:D

Pappy
08-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Ya run vet, you'll start in the row behind me. You'll also be racing Marty!:D

good....i will try to follow him. im not expecting to do great..just have some fun and do some learnin.

08-21-2002, 09:31 PM
whch wuld be tworows behind me.

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Thats what its all about.

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
whch wuld be tworows behind me.
Wait up for us!:p

Pappy
08-21-2002, 09:40 PM
haha...say hi if ya lap me:blah

i enjoyed hare scrambles back in the day..and i had a great time at wisp so i said..wtf...im doin it. the day of the race is my 11th wedding anniversary so i told the wife if she wanted to celebrate it wit me she would have to do it there:devil

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 09:42 PM
Way to put that foot down Kenny!:macho

08-21-2002, 09:45 PM
Jeff you usually pass me about the en of the first lap or begging the second lap. later than that if get a good start.

Pappy
08-21-2002, 09:45 PM
Way to put that foot down Kenny!:macho

haha..yeah..woman do as i say:devil

actually..she said she wanted to go somewhere for lil trip sooooooo .......i geuss this qualifies:D

women are like a 2 stroke......just got to feed them the right fuel.....change the plug often......and when neccessary.....rev them too the moon:blah

08-21-2002, 09:47 PM
there is not a more romantict place than Athes OH.
through in 600 quads and a gncc sounds perfect to me

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 09:50 PM
HAHA...the last half of my honeymoon I took my wife to Highpoint!

08-21-2002, 09:52 PM
women are like a 2 stroke......just got to feed them the right fuel.....change the plug often......and when neccessary.....rev them too the moon

Too funny, Kenny you seem like your got your head in the right place :D

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 09:55 PM
LOL....you guys are keeping me up too late, I have a meeting with Cannondale in the morning.

08-21-2002, 10:07 PM
Seriously though I am just a little behind you in getting into racing and most likely even same class etc.

I was intending on just getting to a couple races and checking things out first but I am gonna follow this thread for any good info.

I have heard from more than one person that after 30 endurance is a major concern so I agree with you on trying to finish, but wouldnt it be better thinking if you thought you might finish towards the top???? Sort of like" I think I can, I think I can" :)

Do you guys pace yourselves or just run 100%?

I have heard of guys running diff offset front rims for diff tracks etc any thoughts?

thnx

SGA
08-21-2002, 10:12 PM
Good luck! I raced my first GNCC this year, ran in the beginner class. Did fair, but had a blast. Did a little better at the next one. I just pace myself at a steady clip, cause i'm alot older than than a bunch of them young bucks. I hope to get to run about 4-5 next year, the rest are too far away:( As for the good news, our local HS season starts in two weeks! Its all over florida. and runs about 7 months

08-21-2002, 10:12 PM
i runthe sae rims fr every race by no means do i run 100 % the whole race itis acoding to how good of a start i get. the couple of holeshot i have got i ran 100% till i messed up. i am better when i go into the woods like fifth. i like my LRD's power but not he fit i want to try a HMF. i think tht was you that asked that question.

Pappy
08-21-2002, 10:16 PM
well...if i would have stayed riding throughout my 20's and into my 30's i would have been ok. i only got back into quads last year. i raced my first mx last spring (first race since mid 1991) and finished 9th out of 14. i was happy with that. now im thinkin of getting back into the xc side of the racing. not that its easier but i missed the whole....jump 50 ft doubles thing....so i am re-learning that part of it. the gncc series seems to be physical conditioning and quad preperation so thats my goal now. not that im not still in the competeive mind set but im old enough to set reachable goals and progress from there.

Pappy
08-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by sgaexer
Good luck! I raced my first GNCC this year, ran in the beginner class. Did fair, but had a blast. Did a little better at the next one. I hope to get to run about 4-5 next year, the rest are too far away:(

thanks...maybe i will see ya at one.

08-21-2002, 10:46 PM
not that im not still in the competeive mind set but im old enough to set reachable goals and progress from there.

Stop it ken, not only are you making "us" feel old but you wouldnt be doing more than trail riding if you were not feeling competative

Pappy
08-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

Stop it ken, not only are you making "us" feel old but you wouldnt be doing more than trail riding if you were not feeling competative

hahaha....lmao.....caught me being a grown up:D

08-21-2002, 11:05 PM
There is this guy who keeps posting on a site for a local riding park here in NJ. He just keeps complaining about the jumps and stuff and how he is almost forty and cant afford to get hurt, I want to find him and smack him to put some sense into his head.

Its funny cause he is on a new two wheeler and this place gives them a pretty good track, but the quad track is pretty much flat and the quad guys only keep crying for what he has to ride and this nut is trying to get them to "turn it down" guess thats what were supposed to do after 30, BS.

Pappy
08-22-2002, 01:03 PM
yeah...i can understand someone new to this would not find a mx track very fun. the landing mx in easton maryland has 5 tracks to choose from. i normally ride the beginner track for 6 to 8 laps as a warm up. no big jumps..a few small tables and a small step up.

then i hit the quad track and intermeadiate track the rest of the day. some public tracks cater to the beginner and some dont i geuss. i cant stand people that think it should only be one way. if i cant do a jump on a track then i just dont do it.

i talked with andy the manager at rausch creek and even he agreed they need a less aggressive quad track there. eveyone has to start somewhere so i would like to see it, it just takes time ..money ..and the land.