PDA

View Full Version : Truck Bed Liner..

Punk'd
07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Would truck bed liner work on my bumper, grab bar.. etc?

I thought it would look neat, but im not sure if you can buy it at a hardware store or what?

Vindex Injuriae
07-26-2006, 12:33 AM
There are a couple different kinds you can buy at auto parts stores, but they aren't as good as a traditional spray on. Nearly all of them are a roll-on or brush-on. I've only seen black in that version. I used to spray Rhino Linings back when it was the only spray liner available - tried it on nearly everything from beer trucks to Army tanks and it works very good. The biggest problem spraying small parts is the amount of wasted material from overspray - generally the easiest thing to do is take the parts to a dealer and see what they'll charge you to spray them while they're doing a truck. If you want a custom color you may have to wait until they spray a truck that color or swallow the cost and just have them do it. The only negative to the spray on is weight and it turning dull from UV rays - you can wipe it down with armor-all or something similar to keep the shine. Aluminum requires different prepping to spray then steel, at least it did when I sprayed - we had to use a self etching primer to give the liner a chance of adhering to the aluminum, but a current dealer can tell you better on the process now. My personal favorite is Line-X - its more durable and has a tougher texture and finish than some of the polyurethane liners. Hope this helps, let us know how it turns out!

Punk'd
07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Vindex Injuriae
There are a couple different kinds you can buy at auto parts stores, but they aren't as good as a traditional spray on. Nearly all of them are a roll-on or brush-on. I've only seen black in that version. I used to spray Rhino Linings back when it was the only spray liner available - tried it on nearly everything from beer trucks to Army tanks and it works very good. The biggest problem spraying small parts is the amount of wasted material from overspray - generally the easiest thing to do is take the parts to a dealer and see what they'll charge you to spray them while they're doing a truck. If you want a custom color you may have to wait until they spray a truck that color or swallow the cost and just have them do it. The only negative to the spray on is weight and it turning dull from UV rays - you can wipe it down with armor-all or something similar to keep the shine. Aluminum requires different prepping to spray then steel, at least it did when I sprayed - we had to use a self etching primer to give the liner a chance of adhering to the aluminum, but a current dealer can tell you better on the process now. My personal favorite is Line-X - its more durable and has a tougher texture and finish than some of the polyurethane liners. Hope this helps, let us know how it turns out!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I went to www.autozone.com and they have Herculinar (sp?) for $29.99 a quart:eek2:

So ill prolly give this a try tomorrow. Ill test it on my grab bar first just incase something bad happens:p

Thanks again:)

Vindex Injuriae
07-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Good luck with it! Herculiner has a website - herculiner.com - they do have colors and it says it will stick to aluminum but you have to prep the surface. The instructions link has some info on that.

stalefish_132
07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
my dad owns a body shop and he gets quite a few people coming in and wanting box liners sprayed in, we've tryed allmost ever box line there is and the pro form stuff seems ot be the best stuff yet. cheaper than other coating and fast drying, most of all its tough!

"Elastomeric Coating Bedliner is a one part moisture curing urethane. It cures with ambient moisture in the air to form a hard, tough permanent waterproof coating. It is an easy to use and economical way to protect truck beds and also for multi purpose industrial and marine applications. It bonds directly to paints and primers and flexes with the truck’s movement. This rugged coating not only looks great, it protects surfaces against a wide range of extreme conditions and extends truckbed longevity."

http://www.proformproducts.com/data/images/dyn/group_dv_27.jpg