PDA

View Full Version : oil change gone bad

mdavis98103
07-25-2006, 09:43 PM
our kids have been riding our new honda foreman 500 and we told them they were to maintain it and change the oil and oil filter. they changed the oil and at 1000 miles changed the oil filter however, they put it in backwards and we didn't find out until about 40 later. now we've changed the oil and filter again, put in some additive and it still makes the metal noise but not as bad. i'm afraid to ask, but what has been done to the motor? is there any hope or are we screwed? we live in the alaskan bush, so we pretty much need to work on our own atv. what should we do?

tltcracing
07-27-2006, 10:24 AM
the "metal" noise you hear is proly a bearing. wait.. does it do the noise when the motor is not running too. because a lot of times the fan makes that sound.

Trevor
07-28-2006, 06:46 AM
I did that years ago with a 86 350 your best bet is to get a whole used head.and then flush the engine and change the oil a bunch of times to get all the metal filings out. If you want to repair your head it will cost alot morethan buying a used one. mine was $ 350 cdn for a complete head valves, cam,rockers.

ckasper18
07-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Additives will not fix your problem take it apart there was no oil going to the head and you now have problems tell your kids to pay more attention when working on the quad every one makes mistakes at least they put an effort into it give them credit for that.