PDA

View Full Version : What I love about Glamis

Dune Surfer
07-25-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm just sitting here thinking about riding, why I like it so much.
I spend a lot of tme at Glamis, and want to share what a day there is really like. For you poor souls that have not been there yet.

You wake up to the sounds of engine power all around you, sand rails, quads, bikes, and more. Get up start the coffee. Sitting there drinking a morning cup of joe, looking out over the dunes With the sun rising you can see the shadows off the big dunes in the distance. You start to get a little excited, knowing your going to out there ripping them up soon.
Now everybody is up, the kids are running around, the wives are cooking a great breakfast. Chow down, and gear up for the morning ride.
It is starting to get good now! Sitting on the quad, geared up and ready to go, looking around, waiting for your buddies, yelling at them to hurry up. No slack with this groop. A quick nod from everyone and were off, headed towards the dunes. Running through the gears, hauling ***. These guys can all ride, your pushing your quad for all it has, this is not a ride you relax on. More like racing MX in the dunes.
Ripping along the top of a big dune, picking a spot and jumping in, getting about 15-20 feet dropping in, it's getting real now. Absorb the transition at the bottom standing up, then its up through the gears as fast as you can. You loop back around a 150 foot bowl. Driving up the sholder, pushing as hard as you can, your able to get forth gear racing around the very top of the bowl, in the loose soft sand, pitching it sideways, throwing a roost over the top of the dune. Past the apex of the dune, shifting into fifth gear, You throttle is pinned, this is as fast as the quad will go. Its pretty fast. You go over a little ridge and it pops up into a wheelie. Weee!!!
You come looping out of the bowl swooping into another one, You launch into it sideways. That always makes the guys behind you crap thier pants. Ha ha. Now we are working are way over to the wall, High speed dune running at its best. Everybody is on it, e is hauling butt, riding like the vets they are. Now its down into a valley, you see three or four sets of smaller dunes lined up, Jumping time, you head strait up the face of the dune, second or third gear, watch your buddie launch off the top and sail away, you watch his body language to anticipate the landing. You checked the landing on the way down the valley, and its a fall away. The steep dune shoots your quad straight up, you pitch it foward to match the pitch of the landing, It seem like your in the air forever. You spot the landing and nail it. Ye ha, Throw it into a wheelie. Feeling like superman.
Time for a break. Everyone hanging out having a drink, giving eachother crap, Laughing at your friends mistakes. Nobody's hurt. Its all good. Off we go again, three or four more stops, getting low on gas, time to head back to camp. We all stay in line untill we see camp, then its hammer time. Pay attention, pretty tricky, riding standing up, dodging bushes, flying down the trail. mach snell.
Wow, we made it back!! fire up some lunch, refuel and here we go again for the second ride of the day. It's just like the first, only faster. Everybody is on there game.
After three rides the sun is going down. Sitting aroud camp, drinking a beer, tired, dirty, and at peace.
Dinner time, I swear we eat much better at the desert than we do at home, BBQ's going next to every toyhauler and motorhome. Steaks, chicken, ribs, fish, everything you could dream of. It all goes in the middle. Time to feast.
One thing I have come to realize about Glamis, Even as fun as the riding is, half the fun is hanging out at night sitting aroud the camp fire, cracking jokes, partying with your friends. Who by the way, are going to do everything they can to ride you into the dust tomorrow.
That is a day in Glamis. It might not be normal, sure is exciting though. The people I ride with have been riding Glamis for years and years. They are incredable riders and ride faster as a groop than any groop I have ever seen. It is something to see, and participate in. Injuries, yes of course. Still it makes you feel alive pushing you limits to the edge.
Go to Glamis and it will change your life. I promise.
If you have not been there, wait until winter, pack up your crap and hit the road. Get a local to take you around. Even if it means asking the riders camped next to you to show you around.

I feel better now.
tony

Aceman
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Nice post Dune Surfer, sounds like good times. I WILL definitely make that trip to Glamis sometime in the future.:cool:

Rossco307
07-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Glamis is nice, and many of grand times..but if you want the best So-Cal Razor back experiance..Hit Imperial..and its only a couple hours from glamis, well worth the drive

250r4life
07-26-2006, 02:26 AM
man... thats just cruel, posting that when dune season is still 3 months away....

and glamis is part of the imperial sand dunes... what are you talking about?

Rossco307
07-26-2006, 02:34 AM
The actual imperial park about 30 miles outside of yuma, AZ.

Dune Surfer
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
man... thats just cruel, posting that when dune season is still 3 months away....

and glamis is part of the imperial sand dunes... what are you talking about?

Sorry, Like an idiot I bought a new quad a couple of weeks ago, now I have to wait three months....ARG
The only good thing about buying it now is, I have all summer to trick it out. Here is what I have done so far: Trinity pipe,, filter and jetting. +2 arms, rear wheel spacers, full body skid, new graphics, nerfs, six pack rack, billet rear wheel spacers, ITP t9 wheels, Trailtech x bars and clamp, billet case saver, ordered TCS front shocks.
Still to do: cam mod, install the precision stabilizer I ordered, drop my stock shock for a TCS rebuild, Purchase trailtech lights. When I'm done I think my riding buddies are going to have a hard time keeping up:D

Imperial?? I know the entire set ou dunes are the Imperial sand dunes. As you get closer to Yuma the dunes cut across the freeway down bu Gordans well and buttercup. Been going there for years and have never heard of Imperial park . Where is that?

pharit
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
What no boobie flashing at glamis, i've been lied too again....

jesshamner
07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Wow...you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wish I could go back soon. I'll have to save up. You guys that live close are lucky. You don't have to make the 30 hour trip just to get there. :(

duneaticdave
07-28-2006, 11:42 PM
very well said!:cool:

ABrocket
07-31-2006, 08:59 AM
nice write up!

you got me all hot and bothered now. thanks. lol

Dune Surfer
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
I just got my precision stabilizer, new boots, and my shocks should be ready this week. I might have to take a trip to Oregon.:)

Pappy
07-31-2006, 05:30 PM
You guys and your sand make me sick:(

Dune Surfer
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Pappy,
You should come down and ride Glamis with us!!

Pappy
07-31-2006, 06:00 PM
I know, everyone says that but making it happen is another story.

A quick guide to riding on the east coast....

Ride, wash off mud, clean mud off gear, clean mud off self, clean mud off truck from ride home, clean truck because its muddy, clean wifes floor because boots was muddy...lol

if its not muddy, then its dusty:p

d3ktrix
08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

A quick guide to riding on the east coast....

Ride, wash off mud, clean mud off gear, clean mud off self, clean mud off truck from ride home, clean truck because its muddy, clean wifes floor because boots was muddy...lol

if its not muddy, then its dusty:p

So true, 30-40min of cleaning after every ride :P

ohsobad_chevy
08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
If we didnt hit the dunes at least once every 6 months, I would go insane!!! I love sand!!! :D :D

Pappy
08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I cant imagine riding in an area for a few days, then re-riding it a week later and it is like you were never there. It would be like riding a new area each trip.

Just keep posting dune pics so the rest of us can enjoy some of it!

Sandgod4
08-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Great story.. It sucks when you have to break out the California Duster to clean off the plastic.:D Off to Saint Anthonys next week for three days..:macho

Dune Surfer
08-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I cant imagine riding in an area for a few days, then re-riding it a week later and it is like you were never there. It would be like riding a new area each trip.

Just keep posting dune pics so the rest of us can enjoy some of it!

It's a life changing experience. I ride trails during the summer months, but nothing compares with riding big dunes. It is more like snow skiing when your riding untracked sand. I swear you would think they made quads just for dune riding. All you guys are invited to come ride Glamis, I'll be happy to show you around.

SandShark400
08-03-2006, 02:30 AM
PERFECT!

trx440
08-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Were you guys driving a lawnmower??

I've driven from Chicago to Phoenix too many times. It's never taken more than 25 hours drive time. That was 1800 miles door to door.
New Orleans to Yuma is probably 1600 miles so that's 22 hours. That's an easy 2 day drive.

trx440
08-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
It's a life changing experience. I ride trails during the summer months, but nothing compares with riding big dunes. It is more like snow skiing when your riding untracked sand. I swear you would think they made quads just for dune riding. All you guys are invited to come ride Glamis, I'll be happy to show you around.

I'm originally from NW Indiana. Grew up MXing @ Red Bud. I've raced cross country on bikes and quads. I'd go to Silver Lake 2 or 3 times a year.

I came out to AZ in 99 and went to Glamis, GAME OVER. I moved the entire family out.

I used to ride other places, trails and mountains and desert, I quit them all. Now it's dunes only. I keep my paddles on year round. I sell my stock tires/wheels each time I buy a new quad!

I'm an early bird, nothing beats a crisp sunrise in Dec or Jan with a big cup of Kona. It's usually dead quiet, being that all the rowdies from the 909 just passed out a half hour earlier!

My day goes like this:

5am Coffee

7:30am breakfast

9:30am ride

12pm Lunch
2 or 4 12oz beverages

2pm ride

5pm at the drags
4 - 6 12oz beverages

7:30 Dinner
a couple of more drinks

9pm @ the hill with a bottle of Absolut and lemonade or just stay at camp, which we do more of the last couple of years.

We don't do much night riding, it's fun if you've gotten a little help from Ricky Stator.

Usually make a few "Redneck mushrooms" or 'Fireballs' Blowin up stuff is cool. Sit around the burning pallets and talk about how fast we used to be or how many times we roosted each other.

I try to make it to bed by 11:30p but one night always up at least 3am.

I ride with a wild, fast bunch. We all have Dune names.

Our point guy is Chopper. [He got a Copter ride to Brawley a few years back]

The others are:

Roll-over-Bob
Rolls his quad 2x everyday
Mash
3 trips to Yuma Hospital in past 2 years.
Mitch-da-Witch
He's a Witch's Eye Magnet.
C-n-B
When he goes, he goes out BIG
BigBellyDave
Well, he's got a gut.
Cat Box
Loves Silver Lake in Mi. Az guys call it a cat box cuz it's only 2000 acres
Jolly Green
I'm 6-5 and wear green gear so I'm easy to spot.

My favorite thing about duning is when you approach a razorback at a 45 degree angle, you're tapped in 4th and you launch to the other side of the dune. You do a controlled barrell roll and it seems you are in the air forever but you are usually just 3 0r 4 off the ground.

Good job Dune Surfer, you've got me wondering how far away Halloween is now.

AdamEX
08-04-2006, 10:50 AM
i can't wait for glamis. me and my friends are even thinking of driving 4 hours just to do a long night right. but its too dangerous to dune in glamis at night. at my work i get one weekend off a month and so far last season i went on almost every weekend off.

dariusld
08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by AdamEX
its too dangerous to dune in glamis at night.

Why? I do it all the time.

loons
08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Night riding is fun. YOu just have to have a set up like mine. trailtech torch lights in the stock location, and a set of hid's on the bars. If I ride in the back of the pack, I help light the way for others who don't have good lights.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/desertbound/yfz1.jpg

Dune Surfer
08-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by loons
Night riding is fun. YOu just have to have a set up like mine. trailtech torch lights in the stock location, and a set of hid's on the bars. If I ride in the back of the pack, I help light the way for others who don't have good lights.

dude,
nice looking quad!!

dariusld
08-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by loons

Night or day, I wish I had that set-up.:eek2:

AdamEX
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Why? I do it all the time.

yeah but i bet you don't ride at night the way you do in the day. seriously i think we all know that deep in the dunes its dangerous. especially when you have hundreds of other quads and rails flying in any direction. you never know whats on the other side of a dune.

dariusld
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by AdamEX
yeah but i bet you don't ride at night the way you do in the day. seriously i think we all know that deep in the dunes its dangerous. especially when you have hundreds of other quads and rails flying in any direction. you never know whats on the other side of a dune.

Yes thats true. That is why we leave the women and children back at camp when we ride at night.;)

250r4life
08-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Yes thats true. That is why we leave the women and children back at camp when we ride at night.;)

lol... we do that during the day too- unless they are riding in a rail :D

wilkin250r
08-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Next time you're riding through your rocks, trees, and creek beds, take a moment to look around. Look at the terrain and think "What would it be like if none of these trees were here? If I wasn't confined to this trail? I could hit that ridge over there, I could carve that little bowl. That would make a SWEET jump right over there if wasn't covered in bushes".

Plus, the sand is soft. It gives. You're not going to bust your elbow unless it bends the wrong way. You've got to hit twice as hard to break your wrist. It's not completely without danger, but that few inches you can sink into sand makes injuries a bit less likely.

Sand is a truly beautiful and wonderful thing...

isotope
08-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey, I never rode in sand but would love to someday. anyways i got this sick video off of http://www.paboys.com my local PA atv site. i think its worth checking out...

http://media.putfile.com/Chosting-Jump-26 its pretty amazing :)

ohsobad_chevy
08-12-2006, 09:11 PM
:eek: :eek: SWEET!!! :D

Bad Habit
08-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Next time you're riding through your rocks, trees, and creek beds, take a moment to look around. Look at the terrain and think "What would it be like if none of these trees were here? If I wasn't confined to this trail? I could hit that ridge over there, I could carve that little bowl. That would make a SWEET jump right over there if wasn't covered in bushes".

Then it might look something like this....................

AdamEX
08-13-2006, 11:33 PM
ahhh i cant wait till october. i can see olds in the back. by the way we women always stay back. thank god th girls we take like to cook and have no interest in the dunes.

Dune Surfer
08-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I couldnt wait, I just got back from a three day trip to Coral Pink sand dunes in Utah. What a killer place, not even Glamis, but some great riding. Sand dunes, sand trails through the trees, pretty campground, and best of all.....I WAS RIDING SAND DUNES IN THE SUMMER!!!!!

250r4life
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
how was coral pink? how was the weather? my group is going to head up there for labor day...

Dune Surfer
08-14-2006, 01:58 PM
how was coral pink? how was the weather? my group is going to head up there for labor day...

It's really cool, the riding is alot of fun, good riding through the forest (all sand) Good dune riding, weather was 75 degrees and perfect. The campground is one of the best I have seen. They keep it perfect. They even blow all the sand off and wash off everything including the rocks, so every campground is in perfect condition. Beautiful place, the forest and rock formations are something else. Call for reservations. They have a dump, showers, and ice, nothing else.
Have fun

PS drive through Zion park on the way. It's worth the $20 park fee.

LittleMissE
08-14-2006, 03:18 PM
lol... we do that during the day too- unless they are riding in a rail :D

Hey, I dont get left behind no matter what so you guys would have another thing coming if you thought I was going to stay back at camp!!! LOL I had to give you guys a hard time. And cooking from me is not happening either I dont stop for long enough to cook I barely stop for enough time to eat!!!

I havent been to Glamis yet one day I will make it out there probably christmas time in a year or 2!!! But St. Anthony's is a blast I love that place I will probably make a second trip there before I get the chance to go to Glamis!!!