PDA

View Full Version : 450R decompression

modaddyoh
07-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Here's what's going on all you engine buff's. I have an 05 450R, Athena 480 Big bore , Stage 1 hot cam new spring's, bucket's, valve's everything new pretty much on the top end. The thing run's like a striped ape. The only problem I have is at low idle the decompression lever want's to kick in and make's the motor "hiccup" and sometime's quit all together. I can run the idle up and it take's care of the problem but that's not the way to fix it. The carb is right, I even changed the decompression spring thinking it might be weak but that didn't fix it either. Any body ever seen this problem before? Could it be in the cam? Thx

Rossco307
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Its your decompression spring, I have had the same problem and this the only remedey I have found thus far. When you stroked the motor you increased the compression ratio, but the factory motor was never designed with increased compression in mind. Finding after-market spring I could not do and ended up making my own out of titanium. I havent looked around lately to see if anyone has caught on yet..hope this helps

modaddyoh
07-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks.

400exrider707
07-26-2006, 10:35 PM
what? That doesn't make sense. Why would it only kick in at low RPM? If it was doing it, it would do it all the time right? You do need to adjust the gap just like all of your valves.

Compression I dont think is the problem here. A lot of guys right on this site run 14:1 compression baldwin pistons and this is the first I've heard of this problem.