PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

hmrubicon
07-25-2006, 12:52 PM
:confused: What is this on the kfx 450? Here is the photo what I'm talking about is circled in red. Also check out how beefy the frame is around the lower A-arms. But what is that thing circled in red its not an A-arm. I dont see how it could be a bump steer stabilizer. Maybe it is?

hmrubicon
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Here is a link to a larger picture. http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/kawasaki/2006kfx450atvspyphoto3.jpg

Ruby Soho
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
4 wheel drive?

haha i dont know

plkmonster2
07-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Looks like the caliper.
Forgot to add that it's an aluminum frame. It needs to be thicker than steel to be strong.

321racer
07-25-2006, 10:18 PM
long travel a arms maybe??????

hmrubicon
07-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Well I copied the pic and put it into paint and magnified it. To me it looks like the bolt for the left side bottom a-arm, and the right side a-arm on the other side of the quad appears below it. Making it look like something else attached to the quad. I'm kinda embarassed now but pics can fool you some time.

Nick110
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Its the spot that the bottom left a arms bolts to the aluminum frame. Since its aluminum it has to be beefier and it makes it look weird. But it is deffinatly just the frame and arm.

hmrubicon
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
yep

hak231
07-29-2006, 05:26 PM
To me it looks like the A-arms bolt to the opposite side of the frame, in criss-cross fashion. Example; left arm bolts to right side of frame and vice versa. This would create long-travel A-arms without making the quad extra wide (good for GNCC). When you look at the pic, you can see the rounded side of the arm where it bolts to the frame. The left side looks like it continues to where you can't even see exactly where it bolts on.

This is a concept that I had flirted with some time ago. It creates uneven mounting points (L to R), but the bend of the arm could compensate for the lack of alignment. Problem I had always thought to be, would it turn better one way than the other?

hak231
07-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by hak231
To me it looks like the A-arms bolt to the opposite side of the frame, in criss-cross fashion. Example; left arm bolts to right side of frame and vice versa. This would create long-travel A-arms without making the quad extra wide (good for GNCC). When you look at the pic, you can see the rounded side of the arm where it bolts to the frame. The left side looks like it continues to where you can't even see exactly where it bolts on.

This is a concept that I had flirted with some time ago. It creates uneven mounting points (L to R), but the bend of the arm could compensate for the lack of alignment. Problem I had always thought to be, would it turn better one way than the other?

Never mind!! I must have been smoking something. That just looks like a really beefie set-up.

Dale512
07-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Dean Sundal ran a quad in the desert during the 90s with a crossing-arm setup like you just described. Had something like 15 or 16 inches of travel. Not sure whatever happened to that particular setup. Got me interested so now I'm gonna do some research on that particular idea.

jonboy
07-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Did you notice the reinforcement rings on the back wheels? I hope they do this on both sides of the wheel.:ermm:

400eXr1d3rZ
08-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by jonboy
Did you notice the reinforcement rings on the back wheels? I hope they do this on both sides of the wheel.:ermm:

Where?

firefighterjosh
08-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by jonboy

That would be retarted if they only did the inside

08-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
That would be retarted if they only did the inside

No it wouldn't, the inside is the weakest part of the rim.

firefighterjosh
08-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
No it wouldn't, the inside is the weakest part of the rim.

Why would it be the weakest part?

300ex_#387
08-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Why would it be the weakest part?

Because that is where its most stressfull on the rim. Ever rim I have bent from landings is on the inside of the rim. The leverage causes it to bend on the inside.

firefighterjosh
08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
But wouldnt the levrage be on the outside. The hub should help support the inner part. the outside is just left in the open.