PDA

View Full Version : LTR backfiring

msdnman
07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
I noticed this weekend that my LTR is backfiring. I have the C-Bomb, sparky out, and Trinity K&N kit. I ran with just the lid off the airbox and stock air filter and it was fine, started when I installed the Trinity filter kit, lid still off.

I'm not sure what I need to do to correct this, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

AL Elks
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Sounds like you're running lean (sucking more air in due to the Trinity). Put the lid back on and see what happens. If it stops that is your problem.

You need to adjust the EFI if it's running lean.

bwamos
07-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Agree.

msdnman
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by AL Elks
Sounds like you're running lean (sucking more air in due to the Trinity). Put the lid back on and see what happens. If it stops that is your problem.

You need to adjust the EFI if it's running lean.

IF putting the lid on stops it, do I still need to adjust the EFI? If so, how do you recommend I do that? IS there something I can purchase at a reasonable price or should I take it somewhere?

Thanks for you help!

AL Elks
07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
If you put the lid on and it stops that was your problem. Now you will have another problem. It won't breath as well as it could if you had the lid off and had the EFI tuned properly.

To run properly with the lid off you will have to have it tuned by either the dealer ($$$$$) or someone with the proper equipment.

bwamos
07-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Or you could jsut remove the Trinity kit and go with the standard CB setup. ;)

Might check with Trinity.. they should have a proper mapping for the setup you have. You'd think they would, anyway.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-26-2006, 07:50 AM
The cherry bomb is only good for the stock filter and baffle removed any other mods like a high flow filter and the bike goes lean. The stock air filter is very restrictive.

Baracudaaa
07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Try running race gas too. I wouldnt waste $ on an efi unit if all you have is the C/B. Go get a Yoshi pipe and the PIM, its a great and reliable combo.

msdnman
07-26-2006, 09:43 AM
What about the Dynojet Power Commander? Is anyone using this and would it do the same as the PIM and FIMAC? I really don't want to put a new pipe on it.

I'm pretty ingorant when it comes to this EFI stuff.

Thanks!

Baracudaaa
07-26-2006, 06:08 PM
If you dont know anything about EFI, you would probably end up loosing power if you just jump in and start goofing with the stock maps. if you have someone who can do it for you, I would go to them and have it done right. I still say save some $$$ and get the pipe/PIM combo.

msdnman
07-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Let me get this straight. If I go with the pipe/PIM combo them everything is automatic don't need to adjust a thing?

If I go with the Power Commander I will have to either know someone who can tune it or take it samoiewhere and pay big $$?

I just want the bike to run good and produce the most power it can with the few mods I've made.

Is the Power Commander or the PIM FIMAC the best for my particular situation? From what Baracudaaa says, if I replace the pipe and go with the pipe/PIM I'm trouble free. I have a hard time beleiving that the solution is that easy.

I appreaciate all of the help I am getting.

Thank you!!

AL Elks
07-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Yep, It's that simple. The PIM was designed for the Yoshi Pipe as yoshi put in the maps for the pipe when they had it designed. It has 2 maps in it. 1 for using the spark arrestor and 1 for when you take it out.

So get the full exhaust and the PIM and you'll be good to go. I have the exact setup that we are talking about and even thought Yoshi didn't map the EFI for the Trinity it is just fine. The reason I know it's fine is because I have a wideband oxygen sensor that I put in the pipe to check the Air Fuel Ratio and with that setup it actually runs a tad bit Rich.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
The powercommander is very simple to use. You don't have to pay someone to tune it. Dynojet spends countless hours building maps for all types of setups. No one has more experience building custom maps for efi than dynojet.