PDA

View Full Version : Can't shift with boots?

rooster300ex
07-25-2006, 08:17 AM
I just recently sprang my ankle while ramping and if I would of had boots on it wouldn't of happend. But my problem is with boots is I can't shift at all with them. I can down shift but what good does that do if I can't shift up. The boots I tried were them A.R.C cheap motocross boots. I got to thinking that maybe them were some bulky cheap ones for motorcycles. Are atv boots not as bulky so you can get your foot under the shifter. And are there any boots that make it where you can move your foot and flex alil better but still protect?

awsomeaussies
07-25-2006, 09:55 AM
I have alpinestars, and it's actually easier to shift with the boots then without them for me. Maybe try using the side of your boot to shift instead of trying to get your whole foot under the shifter.

Strong_Racing13
07-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Also try taking our the bolt on your shifter and taking the shifter off and ajust the shifter to how you want it

07-25-2006, 10:10 AM
try moving your shift lever up a knotch

rooster300ex
07-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Naw I think i'll just risk having busted ankles, i would never be able to shift like i need to, because of how i ride. the only boot that flexes is that alpinestar 450bucks a pair boots. i can't afford that.

rooster400ex
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
i have the thor quadrants 129$? i think... they are great imo, you just have to wear them, break them in, and get used to them, i think it's worth the protection.

rooster300ex
07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rooster400ex
i have the thor quadrants 129$? i think... they are great imo, you just have to wear them, break them in, and get used to them, i think it's worth the protection.

Can you use the shifter like you can if you had shoes on.

Strong_Racing13
07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
all you gotta do is take the bolt out of the shifter and move it up... and also get your boots wore in. i really like my alpinestar tech 4s... but first i had to geat them wore in and move my shift lever up

250r4life
07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Naw I think i'll just risk having busted ankles, i would never be able to shift like i need to, because of how i ride. the only boot that flexes is that alpinestar 450bucks a pair boots. i can't afford that.

busted ankles are not worth the money... thats part of the reason i have boots- its cheaper for me to buy the nerfs and the boots than it is to get hurt...

listen to these guys- move your shifter up a bit, and get your boots broken in and get used to them.... everybody told me once i got used to boots i would never ride without them, and they were right- i feel naked riding without boots... well when i 1st got them and was getting used to them, when i was dragging i would miss shifts and it would piss me off, so i would wear my riding boots during the day, and when we went to the hill at night to drap i would wear normal caterpillar boots so i wouldnt miss shifts... then i got used to my riding boots, and i can shift like nothing and never ride without them... jsut get used to them and move your shifter up...

ZSNOW
07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
i have the quadrents too...and when we go on long rides..there wicked comfortable u can walk around all dayt =in them..i wore mine to school one day(for 100 bucks) and i was more comfortable then any other time i wore boot(work boots)there just wicked comfortable....and u just have to get used to shifting with them

CannondaleRider
07-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah, rotate your shifter a spline up, and wait for your boots to break in, you'll be fine.

Once your used to boots, you'll feel so akward without them....I can't get out of 2nd gear without boots, without feeling very uncomfortable.

rooster400ex
07-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Can you use the shifter like you can if you had shoes on.
yep once i was used to it it feels normal

theTman
07-25-2006, 03:59 PM
um i have ARC boots and i can shift fine...just wear them around for a day and they will break right in

dont ride in shoes...your gonna regret it

rooster300ex
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Ya i'm tellin ya. It sucks having a busted up ankle. Last time i rode my jetting was messed up,not this last ride i had it dialed in. you'll be suprised how much more speed you can get in a short distance when your jetting is right. I hit the ramp to fast, and some dirtbikes messed up the ramp. Nothing personal to ya'll dirt bike riders. ya'll were acutally here before we atv riders.

PismoLocal
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I thought the same thing about boots too when I first started wearing em when I was around 9 or 10. I screwed up my ankle and once it healed my parents bought boots for me. On my first ride after my ankle healed I hated them. I took them off put on my shoes and rolled my ankle again on a harsh landing, I could n't ride and could barely walk for 6 weeks. Once my ankle healed I rode again and still didnt like them, I think it takes a couple rides to get used to them but once you are you won't ride with out them.

LittleMissE
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
I dont know what kinda boots they are but I know that they are Alpinestars and I got them on clearence for about $80!! When I wore them the first time I didnt have much of a problem with shifting except I needed the shifter lowered!! But then when I tried to drag race in the dunes in was alittle harder so I didnt wear but I am going to try again tomorrow when I get to St. Anthonys!!!

hotrodbelair
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
try this i only did because i left my other shifter at a friends house trying it on his 250r. it actualy works pretty good. i took it of a old honda mini bike.

rooster300ex
07-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
try this i only did because i left my other shifter at a friends house trying it on his 250r. it actualy works pretty good. i took it of a old honda mini bike.

Thats pretty clever right there. That would take some getting use to also. I think i'm gonna get a pair of them 160 dollar A.R.C. boots that allow forward & backward movement but still protects.

woodsracer144
07-26-2006, 06:31 PM
hey dude i know what your talkin about
i had that prob too. i just took the bolt tha held the shifter on out and pulled it off and put it up higher it works great
my buddys and my one buddys dad did it and they said it works great with the boots dont matter how big and bulky they are

tltcracing
07-27-2006, 10:05 AM
yeah. i cant even shift a bike that doesnt have the shifter rotated up one notch. along with getting the handle bar rotation just right, it was the best adjustment i have ever made to my bike.

Jake250ex
07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
they arent broken in yet and your not used to them

give it some time and youll never go back

ingleful
07-28-2006, 09:03 PM
i havalpinestar tech 4s and i can shift just fine on both my quads..adjust ur shifter...