PDA

View Full Version : large capacity oil tank

rob-u/21
08-20-2002, 10:28 PM
can you guys let me know the purpose of the larger oil tanks for the 400ex and are they worth the money

stocktires
08-20-2002, 10:46 PM
more oil = lower engine operating temperature

It also (I believe) mounts the tank farther up the frame away from the pipe so it will also stay cooler.
In my opinion, this is one of the first mods that should be done on a 400ex, because the (air cooled) 400ex can get pretty hot.

honda400exrider
08-21-2002, 11:47 AM
i didnt like my pingrys. it got "rusted" from 2 rides. its got this whittish stuff on it and doesnt come off. tell me if im wrong, but i wouldnt expect it to rust over 2 rides. thanx

UglyMotha™
08-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by honda400exrider
i didnt like my pingrys. it got "rusted" from 2 rides. its got this whittish stuff on it and doesnt come off. tell me if im wrong, but i wouldnt expect it to rust over 2 rides. thanx

:huh aluminum dosen't rust and that white stuff isn't rust it is some form of oxidization but not rust i dunno for sure but just take some mothers mag to it and it will look perty again

honda400exrider
08-21-2002, 01:26 PM
do u think i can get it to come off? sry i couldnt think of another word to describe it. new it does look great though. and what causes that oxidation crap? thanx

UglyMotha™
08-21-2002, 01:30 PM
it's just somthing that aluminum does if it doesn't have a clear coat on it like the rims on my truck there polished aluminum without a clearcoat and i have to clean them atleast once a week or else they'll look like crap, just get some aluminum polish at wally world or elsewhere and polish you tank and it'll have the orginal mirror finish on it and if you want try find a high temp clear coat and apply to it and that will enable it to hold it's shine

honda400exrider
08-21-2002, 01:34 PM
thanx alot uglymother i was gettin worried.

Crowdog
08-22-2002, 09:27 PM
I added my tank after I bumped my 400 to 416. I run in the sand in hot weather with long hills. Wanted a bit more protection. They are expensive, but very well built.

Jon

Leo
08-22-2002, 09:35 PM
coming soon to a store near you (actually to the EXriders.com store, thump-racing (http://www.thump-racing.com)

UM Racing high capacity oil tanks, and air boxes (I thought the CFM boxes were nice until I saw these!).

take a peak ....

www.umracing.com

Leo

K_Fulk
08-22-2002, 09:59 PM
I thought i had a pingry airbox untill i saw umracing's thats the same one i have. I still had to make some custom wires though.

Big - D Racing
08-22-2002, 11:45 PM
you more than likely have pingry's Um copied their design

K_Fulk
08-23-2002, 03:21 AM
Ok. I'm surprised pingry never got any patents on them. I know the oil tanks are identical too.

L.Vegas400
08-23-2002, 03:44 AM
whats the difference between the two oil tanks?

Leo
08-23-2002, 05:11 AM
I don't believe there is very much difference at all between the oil tanks...

I know the airbox comes with a new harness, etc to make everything fit perfectly..

Leo

L.Vegas400
08-23-2002, 05:22 AM
what is the price difference?

RED121572
08-23-2002, 08:50 AM
I have a Pingry oil tank. Ive been keeping a record of my oil temp after EVERY ride for the past several months. I take readings by inserting a digital meat thermometer into the oil tank. On my quad, the pingry oil tank didnt lower the oil temp by any noticeable amount. But, it does hold an extra quart of oil and fresh oil in the key to the 400 survival.

Now, I have not personally met anyone that has a Pingry oil tank that did not leak. Mine also leaks from the return line from the oil cooler. My dipstick does NOT fit properly inside either. The cooling tubes that that travel through the tank, interfer with the installation of the dipstick. I cut my dipstick in half.

Those of you that surf the "400EX" on E Bay regurlary, have you noticed that the Pingry oil tanks havent been available on E Bay for quite sometime?? You can thank me for that. The outfit that sold em, wasnt aware that the dipsticks didnt fit properly until I called them. (wont mention the outfits name, but Im sure you can figure it out) The gentleman told me that he would stop the auctions until he could come up with a fix. Its been a few months and they have yet to return the oil tanks to E Bay.

Personally, Im disappointed with the tank.

:(

Sick0
08-23-2002, 02:38 PM
They also give a more race look

honda400exrider
08-23-2002, 06:09 PM
yeah i loved how it looked on steve abbotts 450 in dw a LONG timee ago. (dont remember how long ago)