PDA

View Full Version : Try if you want

JJs450r
07-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Well i was walking by moth balls in lowes today, and my brother n law was telling me that moth balls contain a ethenal content in there ingredients. he said you could drop a couple in a high octane gas such as 108 or 112 and it will be almost like running straight ethenal fuel like they burn in the dragsters, and if you have an old beat up quad or dirtbike or motorcycle you may wanna try it ;)

nosliw
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
stuff like that is fun to screw around with, and yes, it does make a noticeable improvement, but NOTHING goes into my expensive-*** quads without it being proven to not do any harm.

didn't they do that on mythbusters?

JJs450r
07-24-2006, 10:00 PM
haha thats what im saying not in my 450r maybe our 220 bayou :D

Edit: Not sure maybe

07-24-2006, 11:06 PM
I have a whole box of moth balls in by garage, I will drop them in my CR125 this weekend.:p
I will tell you how things go...
Should I chop them up like fine dust?

honduh440
07-24-2006, 11:25 PM
i hope this is a joke

hotrodbelair
07-24-2006, 11:41 PM
yes you do gain a little bit by putting moth balls in your gas ive seen people do it in derby cars. ive also heard from people it hurts your engine also.

Doober
07-24-2006, 11:54 PM
yea, i was told it works, and i was going to try it in my derby car but forgot to get some of them:rolleyes:

firefighterjosh
07-25-2006, 01:59 AM
I have a derby this Tues and Wed. If my Engine Survives I will drop a whole box into the tank and see what happends to say bye bye to the engine!

NorCalRacer
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I hope you guys hate your rides. Mothballs don't mix well with gas, so while raising your octane it is consantly giving you "hot shots", or concentrated areas where the mothballs didn't thoroughly mix. I've seen a guy burn a hole right through the top of his piston trying that exact method. It might wotk for a bit, but I can almost garantee you'll regret having done it sooner than later.

firefighterjosh
07-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I was going to put moth balls in my old derby car but I didn't have any. I still tried blowing the motor but it caught on fire before it blew.

honda350r
07-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Found this on another site

Yes, mothballs will slightly assist the octane rating of gasoline. HOWEVER, in
that grain of truth there lurks the potential for disaster. One must use very
few mothballs (naphthalene only) because the ratio of carbon to hydrogen in
the molecules makes for a very dirty burning fuel. Too many mothballs and your
engine will load up with carbon deposits -- very bad news in the performance
department.

Also DO NOT mistakenly use moth crystals (paradichlorobenzene). The chlorine
atoms in this material becomes HCl upon combustion. Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is
very destructive to engine internals.

Finally, unless your engine is high compression and in need of high octane
fuel, enhancing the octane rating of the fuel over what is required is simply
a waste of money. High octane fuel burned in an engine designed for lower
octane fuel does not increase engine power.

440racer66
07-30-2006, 11:53 PM
im gonna trow sum in my friend "hel" quad its a trail blazer we cant get no money for it so we give it "hell" haha weve try mx on it its top speed is like 20 haha

ilpadrino113
07-31-2006, 06:33 PM
that's y people put em in derby cars, cuz they don't plan on runnin the motor again any time soon