PDA

View Full Version : what could the problem be?

YFZ450Ridr
07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
recently i got a new cam chain put in my bike. i was at work while my dad and a guy he knows from work put it in. it started when i got home and i took it riding and it was terrible. the timing was off so i fixed it, put the flywheel to T and the cams are at 3 and 2.

before the new cam chain it ran great, now not so much. to start i have to hold the throttle all the way down and then it starts fine and runs pretty decent, but as soon as i start to go it will die if i let off the throttle. the idle is fine and the choke is not stuck. i took the bowl off and the pilot jet had a little speck of dirt in it. everything else looked fine.

this is where i hit a road block. what else should i check to see whats wrong? its got a new spark plug, fresh gas, timing is correct. im completly stumped, HELP ME PLEASE!!

IrideMHSC
07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Is the cam chain all you did?? not a new hot cam or new piston or anything?

YFZ450Ridr
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
no just a cam chain. the old one was so worn out you could hear it slapping the inside of the motor when it ran. now it has a DID heavy duty chain.

†2005 400ex†
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
try and adjust you throtle cable, i had a similar problem with mine dying if i let of the throttle, it turned ou to be that my throttle cable was all out a whack

IrideMHSC
07-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Hmm... i dunno... i had around the same probelm for awhile but mine was electrical... i had a wire chewed in two comming from the cdi box... dunno may not be that probelm but you know stuff happens.... maybe even valve clearence and so forth... i dunno each bike is different...

YFZ450Ridr
07-25-2006, 10:19 PM
well it idles fine in nuetral, but once its in gear it wont idle. i guess i should check the wiring.

im getting a yfz saturday so i wont be on this thing long:cool:

IrideMHSC
07-26-2006, 09:03 AM
That would be worth a shot.... sad to hear your leavin team suzuki though..... Oh well.... you gonna run anymore of the Missouri races? If you are look me up in the C class... ill be on the orange z-400

YFZ450Ridr
07-26-2006, 09:05 AM
ya i should be in some more hare scrambles, and some hill billy races this fall.

IrideMHSC
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Sweet hopefully ill see ya around

YFZ450Ridr
07-27-2006, 10:14 PM
i figured out the problem, so stupid and simple! when i corrected the timing after the new cam chain got put in, i had the motor at TDC of the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke, durr.. simple fix.

IrideMHSC
07-28-2006, 10:02 AM
lol yea that wasnt to hard... should have thought about that first thing