PDA

View Full Version : changeing brake pads

TRX23rider
07-24-2006, 06:57 PM
i was gonna change my pads today and i got the old ones out and everything but the new ones dont fit in. what do i have to do to make them fit. also i was just looking at the front is there anything different with the rear?

nosliw
07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
you're doing the rear?

um.... make sure that you compress the piston all the way, and also take the cap off the rear resovoir to let the pressure out when you do it....

if you have a parking brake block off, remove it. one time i replaced my rear brake, ran into your problem, and found that the blockoff plate was pushing the piston in. i took it off, installed the pads, then made some thick gasket to space it so it wouldn't hit the pistonrod.

other than that, make sure the 'cap' that covers the piston is clean and there is no debris making it protrude

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 07:41 PM
ya, and if u don't have a blockoff, back the parcking brake way out. same thing happened to me

jrafter
07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
havent changed the front pads yet but to get the piston on the back caliper to compress all the way in i just loosened the bolt that holds the ebrake cable on to the caliper.

then tightened it after i put the caliper back on
it took all of about 10 mins

lghickman21
07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't know what kind of pads you got but i bought a set of EBC brake pads and they were way tight. So tight that it locked the wheels up. Anyone else have that happen?

nosliw
07-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by lghickman21
I don't know what kind of pads you got but i bought a set of EBC brake pads and they were way tight. So tight that it locked the wheels up. Anyone else have that happen?

something isn't right then.

again, read what i first posted about changing pads, and make sure you went through all of it.

TRXNIGHTRIDER
07-25-2006, 05:18 AM
just make sure u push the piston down all the way and it will fit perfect

krt400ex
07-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by lghickman21

ya, those r the pads i got. talked to my shop and he said to adjust the parking brake all the way out until there is room to slide the pads on. then u tighten everything up and re-adjust the parking brake

AR15 guy
07-25-2006, 07:13 AM
I just changed my rear pads the other day. I did not have to remove or loosen my block off plate.

The EBC pads were a tad tighter than the tusk pads I installed this time.

TRX23rider
07-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by TRXNIGHTRIDER
just make sure u push the piston down all the way and it will fit perfect

by push the piston in all the way do you mean with your finger or is there another way?

TRX23rider
07-25-2006, 09:11 AM
alright thanks guys i got them changed. all i needed to do was take the cap off the resiovior to release the pressure like nosliw said