PDA

View Full Version : polishing

Ruby Soho
07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
i cant seem to find mxjunkies thread on how to polish stuff.

anyone wanna lend me a hand in finding that thread?

TheFontMaster
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
First if there is any paint on the piece that your trying to polish get a good paint stripper and strip all the paint off of it. Then sand with 1000 grit sand paper untill it's looking nice and smooth, then step up to 1500, then 2000 wet grit. Make shure that before you step up to a higher grip sand paper that all the scratches from the previous lower grit are all removed.

If there is no paint on the surface, chances are that it will be kind of rough. Such as just bare unfinished aluminum, or brushed aluminum. In the case of that you will need to start with a lower grit sand paper. you might have to start as low as 180 grit, then go to 220, 400, 600, 1000, etc.

After everything is sanded I use mother's mag and aluminum polish. Start by rubbing the polish on the metal with an old t-shirt, or a cotton rag. Don't be afraid to really rub in the polish, the longer you rub in the polish the better the finish you will get. After that, the polish will turn from a white to a really dark grey color. Take another clean t-shirt, or cotton rag and wipe off all the acces polish, then with the cotton rag by hand polish the rest of the mother's off of the surface and it will leave you with a nice brilliant shine.

Ruby Soho
07-24-2006, 07:35 PM
thanks for the help!

Mx_523
07-24-2006, 08:51 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221853