PDA

View Full Version : i know this sounds stupid but.......

400exBro
08-20-2002, 07:37 PM
i know this sounds stupid but is power coating the strongest paint job you can get????

i am one of those guys that once they have something nice done to their quads they don't want to ride it, so if i get a killer paint job on the frame i don't want any stone chips or anything as soon as i pull it out of the shop.....:eek:

also is it a nice finish on it as well , not like paint that will tend to run if it is not completly dry????
thanks a lot
Bro

400exBro
08-20-2002, 07:53 PM
ooooooopppppppppppssssssss wrong forum, danm i am tired
rico put this in the body section
thanks
Bro

Leo
08-20-2002, 07:59 PM
powdercoating is great... at least 10x's stronger than regular paint..

if you go with a silvervein type color even if you do mark it up it will be tough to see :D

nothings impervious to any type of damage, but so far mines holding up great..! (and it's gloss black! LOL)

Leo

Sparky416ex
08-20-2002, 09:50 PM
Hey leo i have black gloss pegs check this out

Sparky416ex
08-20-2002, 09:56 PM

Pappy
08-20-2002, 10:03 PM
yeah i agree with leo. the powdercoating i have had done has held up great. and since i now do some pc i can tell ya it is better for some things then paint. and leo is also correct with the textured finishes, they tend to hide scratches and imperfections in the metal. i was gonna pimp out my frame but since im getting into gncc this fall and next season...i think im gonna do it in black or silver vein so i can get it muddy and not worry about the finish so much. my 2 cents:)

Pappy
08-20-2002, 10:09 PM
here is a gaurd for the brake resovoir i did tonight. it is 2 R's rider

gaurd. he gets it re done every year to keep it lookin good. after a year it still looked like new

08-20-2002, 10:44 PM
this will be my third quad "custom painted "
and I will never do any other kind of paint ...

& now that kenny ...has learned the ropes
of PC ..I will never go to another shop ..he is gettin real...good
I have been around P C for years ...

& he is no quick job "JOE" either

he takes his time

AND DOES IT RIGHT ....

count on more of pics for my newest additon in the future

400exBro
08-21-2002, 08:01 PM
kenny- don't go into gncc, sure it is fun to ride wood trails but i think you will enjoy mx a lot better than gncc....
but whatever it is what you enjoy the most

about pc my frame either a nice cherry or candy apple red or a baby blue/ darker blue ( i can't decide) will the dirt come off easily, my stock ex right now the dust and mud always stays on the frame and i have to strip everything down so she looks very clean, is there some kind of finish i can put on that repels water/ mud and hopefully dust???
well thanks a lot. a lso kenny how much would i be looking at if i got my frame and sub frame power coated a red or blue colour, give the full price what you would charge strangers???
thnx
Bro

Pappy
08-21-2002, 08:22 PM
bro...yes dirt will come off a lil easier with a pc frame but....just like a car finish it will scratch the surface if abused. also contact areas will rub thru in time. if you ride alot the normal areas will wear with time, same as other finishes but may last a bit longer, and will stay shinier longer then any other application.

i havent done a full frame as of yet but will be soon. the going rate for a frame and sub is around $200. the cost of shipping is almost as much as the pc job itself. i am trying to stay away from frames at the current time and right now i am doing only small stuff like stems..pegs..mounts etc.

becareful chosing a color ..i prefer a neutral color that allows you to change plastic colors and gives you more options in the future.
i was gonna do a wild color but have settled on a more durable finish such as black or silver vein. darker colors hide imperfections and scratches from riding or the occasional slipped wrench. once the pc is on the frame its a bear to remove so choose wisely.

Leo
08-21-2002, 08:35 PM
my baby when it was still in the "bones"...

Leo

Pappy
08-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Leo
my baby when it was still in the "bones"...

Leo

hey leo....ya know i dont think i have ever seen a pic of yours completed. can ya post a pic for me...thanks

08-21-2002, 11:07 PM
2 R's.......completed...

400exBro
08-22-2002, 09:59 AM
ya leo i want to see it in one peice...?

thanks to kenny with his last post about how the sratchs and all that other crap got me worried and on and on etc...
so i started to think if i should even do it, is it worth the money or should i go just black, leo you have a yella ex so i was wondering how does the black match if the yella ???

the reason i am looking into this is becuase the honda piant started to flake once i got it, and peeled off a lot in some places, now there is rust on the frame it self,
i didn't want the frame to rust thro so i am looking in to sand blasting it myself and sending it off to the shop to get it pc before my frame is weakend and cracks on me....
leo how much did you pay, if i may ask???
thnxs
Bro

MOUSE
08-22-2002, 12:52 PM
how much would it be to get the stuff to do my own powder coating? thanks dan

Pappy
08-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MOUSE
how much would it be to get the stuff to do my own powder coating? thanks dan

if you stay with small peices and use a household oven you could get into it for under a $1000. maybe less if you have an air compressor and various sanders and grinders etc. i have around $5000 in my set up now and i am just getting started. the spray booth i want is close to $8000 and the commercial oven i will be looking into when i build my new shop will be in the $15000 range.

MOUSE
08-22-2002, 01:02 PM
ok i guess when i want mine done i will send it to you :D