View Full Version : knee surgery august 1st

300exOH
07-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Well I am finally going in on August 1st for total knee replacement on both knees.:eek2: I'm starting to get nervous but after talking to a few people who have had it done it isn't really that bad. I won't be doing any riding for a while though. I can't even drive for 2 months afterwards. I'm looking forward to being healthy again and being able to do things without all the pain. Especially riding.

Anyways... wish me luck!:macho

Scott

Pappy
07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
keep us posted.....and I hope your back up and running soon!

Scro
07-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Hope you have a speedy recovery! Not trying to make you feel old or anything, but my grandad has had both knees replaced and gets around fine these days. They still hurt on some days if he walks around alot, but it's better than before the surgery.

He's also had a hip replacement. Now that's a different story:(

Quad18star
07-24-2006, 01:41 PM
My neighbour just had both knees replaced about 3 weeks ago . He's doing fine now ... he goes for a walk every day , mow's the lawn , drives , etc .

I'm surprised you won't be able to drive for 2 months . :confused: Best of luck to you with your recovery.

Nick shupe
07-24-2006, 09:09 PM
that sucks dude i wish you a fast recover. I have to get my ACL reconstructed after a bad crash i had awhile back.I can only image how you must feel. there telling me about 9-12 mouths before i can really ride agin what a kick in the balls. I hate setting around trying to get better when we have all this nice weather to. :(

300exOH
07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I'm sure I'll be back on here in no time.:o I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. I was surprised when the doc said no driving for 2 months too. We'll see how long that one lasts.

And Bama...don't worry I already feel old.:ermm: But with any luck this should take care of that for a while.

I'm looking forward to being able to horse around with my kids again without paying for it for 3 days. I got to enjoy most of the summer including a great vacation and I have all fall/winter to recover. Plus we're going to a water park this weekend for a last hoorah with the old knees. Hopefully by spring I can get back on the quads again. Watching my kids ride out back this fall will be torture though.

Nick- Good luck with your recovery too.

QuadJunkies
07-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Its amazing what they are doing with knees these days... Best of luck to you, Im sure you will have a speedy recovery!;)
Hopefully they will give you some good happy pills to get you by for a fw days..:p

Doober
07-25-2006, 12:40 AM
I hope you surgery goes good and a fast recovery man, but that sucks no driving for 2 months

300exOH
07-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Its amazing what they are doing with knees these days... Best of luck to you, Im sure you will have a speedy recovery!;)
Hopefully they will give you some good happy pills to get you by for a fw days..:p

It is amazing what they can do. It's kind of cool knowing I'll be a bionic man.:macho I guess I'll be on morphine for the first few days so I should be really happy.:D I'm not sure what they'll give me after that but I'm sure it'll be good.

Here's a link to virtual knee surgery if anyone is interested to see what they are doing. It's from a kids website but it gives you a real good idea of how the procedure works. I almost wish I hadn't checked it out myself.:ermm: Just click the virtual knee surgery.
http://www.edheads.org/activities/knee/index.htm

300exOH
07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Well everyone. Tomorrow is the big day. I have to be there at 6am.:ermm: Holy $h!z I'm nervous. :eek2: I'm already looking forward to being back home.

Everyone keeps wishing me good luck. I say wish the doc good luck.;)

Thanks again for the kind words. I'll be posting as soon as I can.

JRP
07-31-2006, 02:25 PM
good luck man, my uncle got his done not to long ago and hes good now, better then before.:)

300exOH
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by JRP
good luck man, my uncle got his done not to long ago and hes good now, better then before.:)

Thanks. I'm betting I will be much better soon. If I had waited much longer I might be in a wheel chair so this is kind of a second chance for me.

The doc showed me the x-rays and you could see where the femur had worn a deep groove in my tibia. I might even be a bit taller after this.:devil:

300exOH
08-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi all. I'm Scott's wife. I just came from the hospital on day 6 of recovery. He's doing great. He walked about 140 feet today with the walker and didn't have to get into the wheelchair to rest until he got back to his room. He was on some pretty good painkillers the first couple days(morphine). He's on some lighter stuff now and wasn't complaining of any pain after therapy and an hour past due on the pain meds. He's in really good spirits and has a whole new outlook on life. I have a few pictures of the knees to post. First one is the left knee.

300exOH
08-06-2006, 08:40 PM
19 staples in the left knee and 20 in the right. Here's the right one.

300exOH
08-06-2006, 08:41 PM
And both knees together. The doctors are saying he may be able to come home next weekend.

JRP
08-06-2006, 09:07 PM
looks painfull, lol, but atleast this is going to help him out alot. Tell him i said get well soon:)

QuadJunkies
08-06-2006, 09:08 PM
OWWWIIEEE!!!!!!:eek2:

That looks like it hurts like he!!
Im glad to hear he is doing well ;)

Pappy
08-06-2006, 09:48 PM
C'mon ya sissy, lets go riding this weekend and test out them staples:p

Glad to hear your on the road to recovery!

exhotdog
08-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Hi all. Scott's wife again. Thank you so much for all the well wishes. I'll let him know. I'm really proud of him. He's come a long way since his surgery on Tuesday. He's like a whole new man. He'll be setting off metal detectors wherever he goes but it will make for an interesting story. :)
I couldn't believe he wasn't asking for pain meds last night when I left. He's a much stronger person than I am.
Pappy, I'll send him your way when he's ready for the bike, physically. He wants to ride when he gets home but he's going for the bicycle then. Let's just hope it isn't the bmx again. :uhoh: I'll keep you all updated until he can do it himself.
Thanks again for all the thoughts.
Have a great day everyone! :)

Ken Robey
08-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Good luck with that , Scott. Looks pretty painful , that's for sure. Just don't get to close to the microwave when the wife is cooking, I think it will cause you to pee you pants. I am layed up also not riding or racing. Have been down now with a broken left collar bone for a month. IT is in three pieces from a crash at the WPSA race in ILLinois. I may make it to the Sept. GNCC, but not sure yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sit back and take it easy, don't rush it, you've got alot of riding time coming. Take care, Ken

300exOH
08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Well folks I made it home. They let me out of the hospital after only 8 days. Everyone was amazed at how fast I've recovered. I'm still using a walker for a while but I should be moving on to a cane after a couple weeks or so. My staples were removed this morning and the scars are healing very nicely. I'm starting to get some strength and mobility back.

My wife printed out all of the posts and brought them to me. Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed the laughs too. :D My wife and kids have been a great support team. I couldn't have done it without them.

Pappy- I'll have to take you up on that ride soon. Hopefully by spring I can start thinking about getting back out on the quads.

Ken- Is that really true about being too close to the microwave? I had to laugh when I read it. Sorry to hear about your injury. Get yourself healed up and get back out there and give them boys he!!. Show Rath, Stack and Yokley how its done on them Utes!

Overall the pain hasn't been too bad thanks to some good meds. :bandit:
Thanks again to everyone for the support!
Scott

Quad18star
08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Glad to hear everything went well . Take it easy and don't push it too quickly . It's pretty amazing at how the body can cope with pain . After my accident I was on morphine for 1 day , then put on Tylenol 3s which I rarely took .

It's too bad you already had your staples removed ...... I was going to tell you a pretty sweet way of removing them . I couldn't wait till I seen the doctor cause mine were killing me , so I removed my own . :p

gpd005
08-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Well, i just got back from the doctor this morning and i'm scheduled for surgery on Aug. 28th. I'm only having one knee done and it's a minor thing but had to respond after seeing your post. I'm not real happy about doing it but the wife said she thinks i'll still want to walk when i get older so i guess i'll listen to her!:eek2:

Glad to see your home and doing better! Take it easy for awhile!

Ken Robey
08-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Glad to hear you are home and doing alright. Heal up and get back out there . Go have your wife buy you a bell to ring whenever you need something. I am sure that she has probably already taken care of that. I am done with the WPSA for the year. Going to go to NJ and hang out with Team Arctic Cat, but no racing for me. Have to be ready to roll by Sept. 9th for GNCC, getting close and I am in no shape to ride. Wish me luck. Ken

ps-I have two of these arctis cats in the garage and man you want to talk about a smooth ride, maybe since you are getting so old and having all these surgeries, you should look into something a little smoother. They can jump as far as you want them too!!! Very nice, check them out.

300exOH
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Glad to hear everything went well . Take it easy and don't push it too quickly . It's pretty amazing at how the body can cope with pain . After my accident I was on morphine for 1 day , then put on Tylenol 3s which I rarely took .

It's too bad you already had your staples removed ...... I was going to tell you a pretty sweet way of removing them . I couldn't wait till I seen the doctor cause mine were killing me , so I removed my own . :p

Thanks. I have been doing my phys. therapy exercises as directed and that's about it. I'm not going to push it too hard. I learned my lesson with the last surgery I had and ended up prolonging things a bit. They have me on percoset for pain and I only take them when the pain gets a bit too much or before I exercise. The staples came right out with the little tool they used. In fact it didn't even hurt unless some leg hairs got caught up in the mix.

300exOH
08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by gpd005
Well, i just got back from the doctor this morning and i'm scheduled for surgery on Aug. 28th. I'm only having one knee done and it's a minor thing but had to respond after seeing your post. I'm not real happy about doing it but the wife said she thinks i'll still want to walk when i get older so i guess i'll listen to her!:eek2:

Glad to see your home and doing better! Take it easy for awhile!

Good luck with the surgery and rehab. You won't regret having it done. I noticed almost immediately that the pain in the knee was gone. Most of the pain after surgery has been in the muscles for me. Once they heal I don't think I'll have much pain at all. My wife talked me into having it done and I'm glad she did. A bit of suffering now will be much better than a life in a wheel chair. Keep me updated on your progress. Maybe we can have a walker race when you're ready.:macho

300exOH
08-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Ken Robey
Glad to hear you are home and doing alright. Heal up and get back out there . Go have your wife buy you a bell to ring whenever you need something. I am sure that she has probably already taken care of that. I am done with the WPSA for the year. Going to go to NJ and hang out with Team Arctic Cat, but no racing for me. Have to be ready to roll by Sept. 9th for GNCC, getting close and I am in no shape to ride. Wish me luck. Ken

ps-I have two of these arctis cats in the garage and man you want to talk about a smooth ride, maybe since you are getting so old and having all these surgeries, you should look into something a little smoother. They can jump as far as you want them too!!! Very nice, check them out.

Things are going well so far. Our house is small so a good holler gets the job done when I need anything. I'm getting fairly self sufficient so usually I can take care of things myself. I'm sure by spring I'll be ready to do some light trail riding at least. The Artic Cat is sounding like a good option right now. It would be good for the days I don't feel like beating myself up on a sport quad. I was thinking about a ute for my next machine anyhow so I can use it around the property. I'll have to see if I can find a local shop with a Artic Cat to try out. Good luck getting back in shape for the GNCC's. I'm hoping to make one of the races this fall so I can cheer everyone on and at least get to enjoy the sport from the sidelines. Thanks for the support. I'll keep an eye out for ya at the races.

Ken Robey
08-11-2006, 10:33 AM
here is a picture of my practice quad, the other one is a Tony Stewart edition.

Ken Robey
08-11-2006, 10:35 AM
two more

Ken Robey
08-11-2006, 10:36 AM
one

Ken Robey
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
last one

300exOH
08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Nice. The Stewart edition would be sweet. I would have to trim up the rear fenders a bit though just for looks. I like the front end though. I hear they have a really plush ride much like the big polaris utes. They only thing about them is their size. It looks like they would feel a bit big for tight woods riding. I guess I'm just used to the little sport machines. I know the big *** trailblazer my wife had felt like a hummer in the woods so it might take a while to get used to the size of the Cat.

By the way I tried the microwave thing and I didn't wet myself but I did have a few sparks shoot out my @$$. LOL J/K:eek2:

Ken Robey
08-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Hope you didn't burn yourself too bad. These things are definately big, haven't even got the chance to ride them in the woods yet. I don't see any riding for a few more weeks. There will be alot of plastic trimming that is for sure. Have to get some offset wheels from OMF to make it tighter. Definately a winter project.

300exOH
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Ken Robey
Hope you didn't burn yourself too bad. These things are definately big, haven't even got the chance to ride them in the woods yet. I don't see any riding for a few more weeks. There will be alot of plastic trimming that is for sure. Have to get some offset wheels from OMF to make it tighter. Definately a winter project.

Haha. I have to admit I'm a bit nervous around appliances with 4 pounds of titanium in my knees. I won't be getting through airport security in any hurry now either. How's the handling with the big Cats? I haven't tried anything with IRS so I'm not sure what to expect. I would think with the height and weight that there would be a bit of body roll in the turns. I'm hoping for something with a somewhat sporty feel so I had been looking at the solid rear axle machines. Even though its a ute it would still be nice to pitch it through the turns now and then. Looks like the Cat would nice base for all around quad though and a great workhorse.

300exOH
08-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Just an update...

It has been about a month and everything is going pretty good. The scars are healing amazingly well. It's almost hard to tell anything has been done now. I still have some stiffness and I'm working on getting my range of motion and strength back. I have phys. therapy 3 times a week and things have been going really well. Most of the pain is gone now and the exercises are getting a little easier to tolerate. I'm still confined to a walker but I should be able to switch to a cane very soon. My wife is going crazy because she is having to do all her normal duties plus the stuff I usually do too. She's been a HUGE help though.

Anyhow I just wanted to let everyone know things are going great and improving every day. I'm glad to finally be on the road to recovery.:macho

Scott

Here's what the knees look like now...

redrunner
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Scott...guy I completely missed this thread. Thanks for the PM and the update...this is great news for you. Chances are you got some threaded parts created by my companies product. I just got back from two places, Biomet and Stryker Orthopedics in Jersey. They are both world leaders and I got to see the entire Mfg operation and their newest innovations. Top notch stuff and I cannot believe how fast your scars have healed.
Everyone and I mean everyone I know and have talked to have had tremendous success, even with minor complications they would do it again.

Wow what a thrill to get out there with the kids and wife and enjoy the outdoors..take it easy for as long as you need to. It has been almost 2 years for my acl which is nothing compared to you but you actually have better knees than most of us right now. The key is muscle, build it up. I recently started jogging and biking to build up leg mass. Muscle mass is why pro atheletes can recovery so fast..they have lots of it and the technique of surgery cuts through far less muscle tissue than ever before.

So that's it it is ride time next year for us.....!!!!

300exOH
08-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Scott...guy I completely missed this thread. Thanks for the PM and the update...this is great news for you. Chances are you got some threaded parts created by my companies product. I just got back from two places, Biomet and Stryker Orthopedics in Jersey. They are both world leaders and I got to see the entire Mfg operation and their newest innovations. Top notch stuff and I cannot believe how fast your scars have healed.
Everyone and I mean everyone I know and have talked to have had tremendous success, even with minor complications they would do it again.

Wow what a thrill to get out there with the kids and wife and enjoy the outdoors..take it easy for as long as you need to. It has been almost 2 years for my acl which is nothing compared to you but you actually have better knees than most of us right now. The key is muscle, build it up. I recently started jogging and biking to build up leg mass. Muscle mass is why pro atheletes can recovery so fast..they have lots of it and the technique of surgery cuts through far less muscle tissue than ever before.

So that's it it is ride time next year for us.....!!!!

Yeah. I'm really excited about the whole thing. I have made much more progress than I ever imagined. Plus the knees feel even better than I thought they would. I caught a glimpse of the titanium parts before my surgery and they looked like some very well engineered pieces. It's almost a shame they are hidden under the skin. I'll have to ask my surgeon if he knows where the parts came from. I'm really shocked at how fast things have healed. I thought it would be months before they would look this good. Luckily I haven't had much for complications besides some swelling in the left knee. The swelling has gone down in the last week or so and I've gained some motion as a result so things are improving at least.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to the outdoors with the family again. Right now the phys. therapist is having me concentrate on range of motion but I should be ready for some strengthening exercises soon. My goal is to get back on a bicycle again by spring. I used to ride constantly(5-10 miles/day) before my knees went bad so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it. I think that will be the best/fastest way to regain some muscle tone. Hopefully I will be ready to get back on the quads by the time the season is in full swing. I'm really pumped to be able to do some of the things I haven't been able to do since I was 15 or so.

kawi_kfx13
08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
im really happy 4 ya man... lol im waitin 4 my lil acident to heal broke both the bones in my leg and im only 13...and i was cusin like a !!!! lol... but ya im glad to hear your doin good i kept readin the thread...and ur legs looked very healed after all those staples wow... well hope u can get goin again cya later

300exOH
08-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by kawi_kfx13
im really happy 4 ya man... lol im waitin 4 my lil acident to heal broke both the bones in my leg and im only 13...and i was cusin like a !!!! lol... but ya im glad to hear your doin good i kept readin the thread...and ur legs looked very healed after all those staples wow... well hope u can get goin again cya later

Thanks. Ouch... both bones in your leg are broken. :eek2: I would guess thats pretty painful. Good luck with the healing. Luckily you are young so you should heal up fairly quickly. Heck you'll probably be up and running before I will. I should be good to go in about 6 months or so as long as I do as the doc tells me.

Thanks again and good luck to you.

gpd005
09-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Well, i had mine done yesterday! I'm walking and even at work today! It's a little sore but no to bad! I'll be back on the quad in two weeks!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/gpd005/MVC-055S.jpg

300exOH
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Well, i had mine done yesterday! I'm walking and even at work today! It's a little sore but no to bad! I'll be back on the quad in two weeks!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/gpd005/MVC-055S.jpg

Glad to hear everything went well for ya. Did you have arthroscopic(sp) surgery done? I'm sure you'll be up and back to normal in no time. Probably before I will. lol Take it easy on the knee for a while.

gpd005
09-07-2006, 12:58 PM
yep, the biggest cut is only two inches long and I am walking already with very little pain! It's just hard to sit and do nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

300exOH
09-07-2006, 01:16 PM
yep, the biggest cut is only two inches long and I am walking already with very little pain! It's just hard to sit and do nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it. I have done nothing for so long it's driving me nuts. If I didn't have exercises/therapy to do I would go crazy. I'm just now getting to where I can get out of the house a bit and drive a car. I drove for the first time in over a month this week and I think I was almost as happy as when I was 16.

Anyhow good luck with the knee.