PDA

View Full Version : 2 strokes dead or not?

DVXchic
07-24-2006, 07:42 AM
PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING

What do you think, Will a nicely built 250r or LT250 still be competitive against the thumpers of today?
check yes or no and explain your answer.

Clutt225 and i had this discussion yesterday, i think they do, he says no.

And sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

Mx_523
07-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Of course they will be. They aren't slow. They are very fast machines and with the right set-up and a skilled rider they can own the competition.

clutt225
07-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Well I had better get my op up here. I feel that If you can ride a 2 stroke well than you may be able to compete. But a 4 stroke is much easier to ride fast than a 2 stroke. So I think that puts you at a disadvantage on a 2 stroke because you have to be good to get the power and the guy on the 4 stroke just has to be ok because he has torque to save his ***.

duke416ex
07-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Sorry, didn't read the poll close enough and hit no, but I think they are still very competitive. If anyone can change my answer to yes.

My reason is, there are still several in the mid south hare scrambles that are very comp. and I still see several at motox races being comp. I wish I still had one to play around on. There is nothing like them.

07-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by clutt225
Well I had better get my op up here. I feel that If you can ride a 2 stroke well than you may be able to compete. But a 4 stroke is much easier to ride fast than a 2 stroke. So I think that puts you at a disadvantage on a 2 stroke because you have to be good to get the power and the guy on the 4 stroke just has to be ok because he has torque to save his ***.

There's a reason the MX / SX dirt bike guys have ALL gone to 4 strokes.

And it ain't political correcxtness.

MUCH easier to get power to the ground on a 4 stroke.

There's stilla lot of 2 strokes in the XC scene.

Cheaper for folks on a limited budget, and usable power most everywhere.

I wish they'd make more 2 stroke ATV's. Love that ring ding ding.

I love the smell of 2 strokes in the morning.

quads14589
07-24-2006, 08:08 AM
hell yah they r they eat me up like im a peace of chit lol.

zedicus00
07-24-2006, 08:15 AM
2 strokes forever, you will hafta pry mine from my cold dead hands. but untill then all you will see is my tail pipe.

if you know how to ride a 2 stroke it will whip a thumper, it doesnt take skill to be competitive with a 4-stroke. just like todays cars are made with idiot features like traction control and ABS brakes... and front wheel drive. yuck.

D Bergstrom
07-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Sorry, didn't read the poll close enough and hit no, but I think they are still very competitive. If anyone can change my answer to yes.

I did the same thing! The question for the post was "2 strokes dead or not", but then the poll question is "are 2 strokes still competitive". I guess I should have read a little closer, so that is two votes now that should have been yes. (I bet there will be more since most people will just read the main post question and vote for that.)

I think they are still competitive. I have both, and yes, the two stroke is a little harder to ride. I still enjoy racing it. (I race desert)Is my 450R faster on a desert course? I would have to say yes, but that is because I have alot more money in the suspension of my 450R then my 250R. If I had the same suspension on my 250R as my 450R, then I think I would be just as fast on it. The main thing I like about my 250R is the weight, it is quite a bit lighter then my 450R. I still love my two stroke and I always will.

Doug

DVXchic
07-24-2006, 08:36 AM
sorry about the mix up guys, i wasn't thinking about the title that way, I forgot that 2 strokes are dead in the production sense. My mistake.
Thanks for the input though, I was just wondering if building a 2 stroke would be a good idea or not. I race against alot of LTRs, but have ridden 2 strokes in the past. Of course it would depend on my riding abilitys now verses then.

Mxjunkie
07-24-2006, 08:41 AM
I still giver hell on a 2 stroke. I think 4 strokes make riding lazy and boring but YES they are much easyier to ride on a track but there is nothing like a 2 strokes power delivery.

Once you ride 2 strokes for long enough you can ride them damn near like a thumper, if you listen to the gncc guys on the dirtbikes, 3rd-4th gear just putting along with a little clutch work. I think this is mainly why people never quite like a 2 stroke because they think you have to run the living piss out of it to go anywhere and the motor bogs then pick's up and they arent ready for it and it scares them vs. a 4 stroke which is mellow.

Ruby Soho
07-24-2006, 08:45 AM
i agree mxjunkie, 4 strokes are kinda boring. but when you get on a 2 stroke its the total opposite

juanki
07-24-2006, 11:29 AM
l just love my r, i had the oportunity to trade it for a yfz 450, but when i used and practiced in it, it wasnt as fun to drive it like my r. the 2 stroke it feels mor like a rece machine. because you have to be focused all the time and pinned.

LittleMissE
07-24-2006, 12:21 PM
My dads 250r is fun to ride when its running not broken!!! IMO you can make 2strokes go really fast and beat most 4-strokes out there but thats now in a few years that might be different b/c alot of people are spending money and time in the 4-strokes to make them faster!!!

I just read this again and I might have been unclear so I am only really talking about straight drags not the tracks and stuff b/c then thats suspenion and other stuff!!!

Phills450r
07-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I was told by one of the workers at "Britt Motorsports" in Newbern, NC that all 2 stroke bikes will be outlawed soon.. in that case how will the 50/65/85 class dirtbike races handle that..

LittleMissE
07-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Phills450r
I was told by one of the workers at "Britt Motorsports" in Newbern, NC that all 2 stroke bikes will be outlawed soon.. in that case how will the 50/65/85 class dirtbike races handle that..

I dont like how everyone wants to outlaw 2-strokes to me thats like outlawing classic cars b/c there are newer things that people could drive!!! I drive a 4-stroke but I wouldnt like to see 2-strokes get outlawed b/c to me they make some really good drag machines!! But whats going to happen will happen and I dougt that there is much we could do about it!!!

ELewandowski
07-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I dont race mx, so i dont how they compare like that, but I wish i had a 250r. I know from riding my buddy's cr125 bike, they are a ton of fun. I like the 2-stroke power band. I wouldn't give my 440 up, but a 250r will probably be my next quad.

TheFontMaster
07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I went with my 250r after riding 4 strokes for a while, and let me tell you, I am never going back. One of my friends here has a 450r, it doesn't have much work done to it, but it is tuned right, and it is one of the fastest quads around. I rode it, and yes it is slightly faster in a straight line than my 250r, but I just find it borring. And my 250r handles way better than his 450r. On the trails he doesn't out power me ether, my better suspension more than makes up for haveing a little less power. So yes the 2 strokes can still keep up. As long as I'm alive there will be a 2 stoke in my garage, and that 2 stroke will be a TRX250r:macho :cool:

07-24-2006, 06:09 PM
In MX there 99.9% DEAD.

330exkid
08-02-2006, 06:52 PM
2strokes will be dukin it out for years to come hopefully.
all the pros were on 2 strokes til the ban, but why theres nothin like a 250R

If the pros were still alowd to ride them they would. chris b. was mighty pi$$ed when that happend.

there a live and still ownin

baker250r
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
In MX there 99.9% DEAD.

ur a f*cktard.

i race a 250r and compete in the A class with ease. the 250r is dieng in motocross because everybody wants the easy 4 stroke. u get a guy who knows wut hes doing on a R and he will donimate.

Toadz400
08-02-2006, 08:47 PM
The only reason the 2-stroke is going dead is because of the the hippies and factory backing.

sportraxkid
08-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Someone who has rode 2 stroke's alot and know how to handle the power can still give 4 strokes a whippin.I have rode my friends 03 crf450 alot and will admit it is alot easier to go fast on then my kx250. But it just dont seem the same riding one it's kind of boring to me :confused: . I think 2 stroke's are more fun to ride and I feel like I have more control.

450robot
08-03-2006, 01:18 AM
i really think the older generation of atv's could hold there own today, if not do better... i mean, imo, and others who have owned 250r's in the past, all agree the geometry of the r has yet to be matched in the new 450's. when it comes to handling, they are the standard.

but they really are a dieing breed, not because they suck, but because of polution acts, and the whole "factory support thing" along with most people out there who follow the trend of, "well, the pros ride 4-strokes, so they must be better". but given any situation, im sure if you asked a pro rider if he could go back to his 250, he would jump for glee.

in the dirtbike world, 2-strokes are still alive and well, atleast from a gncc standpoint. more than 60% of the pro bikes, along with the other classes are still burning oil with their gas. why? power delivery and ease of maintence, along with the huge wieght savings.

i dont follow the mx scene to well, but i know that all the classes now are related to the "mx light" or 250f class, and the bigger 450 class, where 2 strokes are far and in between. although when traveling to the local track, there are a hell of alot more riders on pingers than thumpers.

just my little insight on the matter hahaha

FourFiftyFour
08-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Jeremiah Jones was probably one of the best two stroke racers out there....I bet if he was still able to race right now and he hopped on his 250r hed smoke them all. Ive raced on a 250r and to be honest with you, I think I picked up the 2 stroke riding style better than the 4 stroke..it all depends on the rider I think. I like my 4 strokes and prefer to have them as race bikes, but man those 250rs are fun!

ShiftFMX
08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I have a 330r, And I LOVE IT!

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2030/330rgg4.jpg

Video of me messin around on the R (http://media.putfile.com/Me-Messin-around-36)

250R-Dee
08-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I have been riding pingers since the 70's and I will mosy likely ride them until the day they spread my ashes over the Black Warrior river in 'Bama!

Long live the 2-strokes!!:chinese:

Politics is the only reason why pingers are not being used by pro riders. Well built 250R's and LT250R's wouldn't have any problems spanking some booty!

PeeWee21
08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
250R-Dee is correct. The main reason pro's are riding 4 stroke is factory backing.....if your paying someone to ride would'nt you want them on your newest peice of equipment? Government has a HUGE influence on the manufacturers and the only machines being banned are the ones that are NOT made for closed course competition. The Blaster, Banshee, Scrambler 400 and 250...atv's like that. The 85/125/250 dirtbikes will still be produced. Maybe not in the quantity as before, but they will still be among us. I would love to see Honda take a stock 250 2 stroke motor with case reed induction and electronic powervalve and stick it the 89 R chassis with rezzie shocks and such. I bet the 450R would'nt be the flagship anymore!!!!

250R-Dee
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
I am pretty sure we would seen a fuel injected 2 stroke ATV/bike if the politicians wouldn't have screwed it up for up. Over here the CRM125 - CRM500 have had ECM controlled oil injection since the early 90's. Just imagine a 2stroke with EFI, ECM PV and ECM oil injection. That would be beyond nasty!!!!!

Oh well, coulda shoulda woulda!! :D

PeeWee21
08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
No kidding Dee?!?!?!?!?!? That would make a kick *** hybrid!!!!:macho Evinrude has come out with an almost pollution free 2 stroke boat motor, they have direct ties with Bombardier...maybe we'll see a new 2 stroke sooner than we think. Besides, i think the 2stroke decree only applied to the big 5 manufacturers, people like BRP, ATK, Gas Gas, and a few others do not have to honor it.

TheBlasterMan
08-03-2006, 11:11 AM
cc to cc 2 strokes will make more power for years to come. If u want to fairly compare the 2 engines, its like comparing a 250f to a 250 2 stroke.

250R-Dee
08-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Pingers and 4pokes should never be compared on a 1 to 1 cc ratio. Everybody knows a 4poke needs twice as many cc's to compete with a pinger.

TheBlasterMan
08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
exactly my point, there simply inst a comparison, 2 strokes dominate in power to weight wise, the are prety basic too.

08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
yup 2 strokes are simple and fast...i dont understand why the everyday rider dont ride a 2 stroke....there is nothing like a 2 stroke and thrill u get of riding... i would bet a ton of money that in 15-20 years from now the only 450rs, yfzs, and LT-rs will be rusted out, blown up...sitting in the weeds in the backyard....

some people might disagree with me on this but the new 450 4 stroke ARE NOT built to last...and with the younger generation think the 450s are the greatest thing to ever come to the earth...a know a kid that seized up his dirt bike and i was like well how did that happen and hes like it has 60 hours on it man...they dont go any longer then that...and i was like, my 1987 250R is still on stock crank....act like a motor wont go more then 60 hours...:D

to all the people riding the Rs, LTs, and banshees dont give into the 4 stroke revolution.and keep on doin ur thing screamin thru the trails :D :D :D

MR.BIG
08-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
yup 2 strokes are simple and fast...i dont understand why the everyday rider dont ride a 2 stroke....there is nothing like a 2 stroke and thrill u get of riding... i would bet a ton of money that in 15-20 years from now the only 450rs, yfzs, and LT-rs will be rusted out, blown up...sitting in the weeds in the backyard....

some people might disagree with me on this but the new 450 4 stroke ARE NOT built to last...and with the younger generation think the 450s are the greatest thing to ever come to the earth...a know a kid that seized up his dirt bike and i was like well how did that happen and hes like it has 60 hours on it man...they dont go any longer then that...and i was like, my 1987 250R is still on stock crank....act like a motor wont go more then 60 hours...:D

to all the people riding the Rs, LTs, and banshees dont give into the 4 stroke revolution.and keep on doin ur thing screamin thru the trails :D :D :D

You ask why everybody doesn't ride a 2 stroke. It's simple most of the 250r's are alot of money. The other half are beat into the ground. I have had many 250r's, quadracer 250's and 500's and they are extremely fast but I wouldn't go back to a 2 stroke unless I lived in place where there is dunes where a 2stroke really shines. I don't know what you guys are riding but my 450r is far from being boring to ride. I think it is all preference and each has its place where it shines. Just my opinion!

Toadz400
08-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Honda86

What if I still have my Banshee and I ride a YFZ450?:D

250R-Dee
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
You don't need a dune to make a pinger shine!! I have constructed a fully built 250R that has consumed $6000 from my wallet. I don't know of many 450's that will run away from me at a dune, on a XC course or an MX course.

I will take 30 minute topend rebuilds over valve train adjustments, valve replacements and worn timing chains any day of the week.

08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
im with 250r_dee on that one

ShiftFMX
08-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey 250R-Dee, Post a pic of you R

250R-Dee
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
The ASR a-arms will get replaced with Walsh arms sometime next week if they do not get lost in teh mail. My sprockets finally arrived but I have yet to install them.

This pic was taken about 3 weeks ago.

330exkid
08-06-2006, 04:39 PM
dude i can say for all of us R riders. sick *** ride man
and to all the thumpers. were still here and never gona leave

08-06-2006, 07:02 PM
i love seeing people on a older quads, or bikes that are faster then the new ones... and i when i said i dont understand why the average everyday person dont buy a 2 stroke, like if a play rider was lookin at a 2,000 125 dirt bike or a 3500 250F and people are still going to the 250F's when the 4 stroke costs much more money and are hardly faster, if any at all

Mean250r
08-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
The ASR a-arms will get replaced with Walsh arms sometime next week if they do not get lost in teh mail. My sprockets finally arrived but I have yet to install them.

This pic was taken about 3 weeks ago.

why wuld u go from walsh to asr?! :confused: :confused:

ShiftFMX
08-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Mean250r
why wuld u go from walsh to asr?! :confused: :confused:

Sounds to me like he's going from ASR to walsh :p

Tri-valleyracin
08-06-2006, 09:02 PM
i cant wait to get my quadracer running. i am going from a 2003 trx300ex to an 1986 quadracer lt250r. i like the feel of a 4 stroke but the power and quickness of a 2 stroke is just un real. i cant wait to see how fast its goin to be once its out on the track with all the 450s. i built a 1977 pe250 2 stroke motor and it is the fastest thing i have riden to this date. yes its a 1977. the power will ripe your arms off. and it is just a rush to ride it. my friend has a 1981 kdx175 with a full race motor and it still wont hang with my pe250. the pe250 motor was built in 2003 and when i was 13 now im 16 and still have to ride something thats faster. if i didnt have a good quad motor i would build the pe250 motor in to my lt250r just becuse it is that fast. that pic is from 2005.