PDA

View Full Version : hybrid syspention set up

1fst400
07-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Hey, I raced my 400ex with its new 450r motor. Thing rips, I pulled 5th in the holeshot in the main. But the damn thing was imposible to hold onto.

The rear shock was bucking me up and over the handle bars all day long. I was getting pissed. Then the front end was pushing a little going into corners.

any advide? my rear shock is a stock shock rebuilt by elka. front end is +2 a-arms with pep shocks ( standard travel.)

amonomous
07-24-2006, 07:05 AM
i would assume that the elka rebuild was rebuilt for u and if it wasn't then get it done for u
other than that i would say that u should try getting an aftermarket rear like a pep or elka or whatever u feel like, than maybe switch to an lt setup in the front

400exrider707
07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Did you adjust your suspension at all? Is your ride height set correctly? Are all of the shocks valved for you and your bike? When was the last time they were serviced?

bwamos
07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Is you're ride height setup so the front part of the level frame rail is 1/4-1/2" higher than the rear. If you're nose down, it will really nosedive when braking in the corners.. if you're too high, you'll push in the corners.

You may need to mess with your compression or rebound on the rear.. hard to say wether it's actually bucking, or packing up causing it to buck.

1fst400
07-24-2006, 01:21 PM
suspention isnt my strong point. I build a hybrid in a cupple weeks no problem. Dont know the first thing about setting up shocks...

The fronts are good, I just got them used from a member on here. He said that they where servaced riecently.

The rear shock was revalved just months before I bought it.

Both front and rear where valved for a 180 lb rider, ( im 170lbs)

I set the rear shock so the frame is 7 inches off the ground and the front at 7 3/4. they are both ZPS set up shocks.

as for the front compresion adjust ment they are the 21 click I think. I have them put somewhere around the middle.

The rear shocks was set the same, rebound in the middle and compresion in the middle. But to get 7 inches ride height I had to back the preload off about 1/4 inch from where it was when I got it. This makes it all the way as far as it will go ( backed off or loose).

Im thinking it was defintly botoming out the rear shock and shooting me up over the bars. Because my exhaust can is all dented to crap. It wasent when I went to the track.

Capt_ron
07-24-2006, 08:08 PM
the shock may be ok for you on 400ex but your hybrid's weight and center of gravity would be different.

tltcracing
07-27-2006, 10:37 AM
i second the "hybred is different". i would say take some compress out of the frond and turn up the rebound. as for the back if you think you are bottoming out then deff turn up the compres but also turn down the rebound. i find that my shocks from elka never seem to have enough rebound dampening in them but it is easly added.

07-28-2006, 10:57 AM
You WONT stop the bucking without a new linkage Period! GT Thunder all the way.

K_Fulk
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
If the counter shaft isnt in the same spot as it was with the 400 ex motor it will effect the rear suspension...

400exrider707
07-28-2006, 02:46 PM
What linkage are you running? Try running 8inches in the rear and 8 1/4 up front see if that helps. I know when I had mine sitting that low, it handled AWESOME, but it just wouldn't take the jumps as smooth as I hoped. Once I raised it up just a little bit it was worlds better.