PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Problem ?

PYF
07-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Ok...First let me tell you all I normally don't ask about drag outcome online since it's ridiculous. It's just I dragged with a friend this weekend and what happened had me worried

My friend has a 2006 banshee with FMF fatty pipes and power core silencers and stock gearing.He also have a KN filter. That's all he have...

My 250r has a brand new pistons/rings bored .050 over...Also have a fmf pipe, shaved head and ported cylinder...I'm also running Open air box with a UNI filter. I also have a 33PWK carb (I know smaller than stock, don't know wtf it's doing there, I'm waiting for my 38a/s :P)...My gearing is 14/39

Ok so here what happened. We dragged on asphalt. We are about equal riders. I got it on the start due to the banshee AWFUL low end, but when I was about in 3rd, he passed me like I was a damn 300ex.... I was not sure who would wins, but i was sure it was going to be a lot closer...

My engine just seems to have no top end...I think the culprit is the carb, looks like the engine is revving but not bringing any more power as if the carb is too small...

Or is it simply because the banshee is a faster bike and that's my fate to lose to him lol...

Thanks, I'm just a little worried.

hang1p
07-24-2006, 01:09 AM
as we all know banshees can be fast, but i think your on to somthing with the size of the carb when you put the airstriker on you should notice a difference

WareRacing
07-24-2006, 04:59 AM
I think you answered your own question....

carbs to small for top end.

PYF
07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by WareRacing
I think you answered your own question....

carbs to small for top end.

Yeah that's really what I was thinking. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about it. I don't really like the idea of having the banshee passing by at light speed...

Let's just say I STFU for a while about quads after the drag lol

Tom TRX250R
07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
You'll notice a HUGE difference in the top end with the 38 A/S. I had similar mods and have beat several Banshees down at the dunes. But just to let you know it takes a big bore cylinder, etc .etc to compete with a heavily modded Banshee. But once you take them on a track thats where their weak side is.

mxduner
07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
pyf how is the throttle response and low end with the 33? i was thinking about dropping down from a 38pwk to gain low end for mx riding

PYF
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
pyf how is the throttle response and low end with the 33? i was thinking about dropping down from a 38pwk to gain low end for mx riding

Both are really good, but the top end is somehow awful

kustomfab2003
07-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Your gearing will slow you up some as well. Try running a 38 or 37 in the rear for more top speed. You wioll gain some extra rear traction off the line as well.

PYF
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by kustomfab2003
Your gearing will slow you up some as well. Try running a 38 or 37 in the rear for more top speed. You wioll gain some extra rear traction off the line as well.

Thanks...

I still feel I'm shifting gears to fast (I had a 13 Front sprocket 2 weeks ago, imagine that:eek:)

Just for fun, which gearing do you guys use (please also tell me where you ride)

Just for information, I'm still slower than a 250 MX bikes and a LOTTTTTTTTT slower than a shee on speed

250r4life
07-25-2006, 12:06 AM
i dont know why you would feel you are shifting gears too fast, especially with a larger front sprocket... i run 13/38, and i go through the gears pretty dang quick... when im at the dunes, we dont start too far in front of the whoops, and i launch in 2nd and try to be into 4th before i hit the whoops if i can...

and on the street where youre not spinning, you should be shifting fast- its a two stroke... it should rev and shift fast...

my bro has a kx 250, now i know dirtbikes are a bit different, but man, all you do on that thing is shift... it revs so frickin fast...

250r4life
07-25-2006, 12:08 AM
ps... now on pavement the question is if you can keep for front end down, but again on my launches at the dunes, whether at the hill or flats, when you launch you should have 2nd gear almost wrapped out and should be shifting to 3rd in no time... 3rd should be gone pretty dang quick, 4th a bit longer, and 5th and 6th a bit longer... but it dont take me long to get it into 6th...

86 Quad R
07-25-2006, 07:05 AM
what fmf pipe is it that you are running?
is the jetting spot on across the board?
what gear are you launching in?

PYF
07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
what fmf pipe is it that you are running?
is the jetting spot on across the board?
what gear are you launching in?

Fmf fatty with powercore II Silencer
Jetting is almost spot on
Launching in second gear

86 Quad R
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
the engine will deffinately turn on after installing the 38as.

juss curious..... what porting do you have?

PYF
07-25-2006, 11:59 AM
the engine will deffinately turn on after installing the 38as.

juss curious..... what porting do you have?

I think midrange porting. It's nothing radical

If you're interested,I posted pictures when I got the cylinder a while back

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236867

By the way, the carb just came in BY ups this morning :devil: ...

86 Quad R
07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
porting looks really good. go out en get that carb on there, plug chopped en let us know how she runs then. :devil:

PYF
07-25-2006, 04:11 PM
porting looks really good. go out en get that carb on there, plug chopped en let us know how she runs then. :devil:

Back from job, going right now :devil:

I'm gonna start with the same jet I had

I think this setup would be a good start...

155 main jet
52 pilot jet
3th position needle
2turns out airscrew

I'll adjust from there:devil:

By the way, I fitted the air boot and the intake really easily on the new carb...Just putted the boot and snorkel in hot water like somebody stated and it worked out perfect

PYF
07-25-2006, 09:46 PM
OMFG OMFG OMFG!!!

Looks like I have a new quad! It's awesome...I didn't think a carb would make that much difference...

The top end is awesome... There is still a lot of adjustements to do though...The quad won't idle and has a sluggish low-middle end...But the top-end is simply screaming

A little funny fact...I start the quad, warm it up and go try it. It's a little faster and I'M pleased...I come back and guess what, I had left the choke on...Then my heart started racing, took it back for another spin without the choke and OMFG...I found it funny when I thought I was at max speed but then found I still had a gear left to shift :devil:

The main jet is too small since the plug is white and the quad was still running on choke

So this setup wasn't right

3th position needle
50 Pilot Jet
2 turns air screw
155 Main jet

Haven't tried it again but I setuped it like this for the next run:

3th position needle
58 pilot jet
2 turns air screw
165 main jet

I'll see and let you know how it runs.

By the way, I searched but didn't find anything accurate. Just for information, what carbs adjustements do you guys runs with a setup like mine ? Could help me since it looks I'm far from being spot on...

Thanks

hang1p
07-26-2006, 01:03 AM
i don't know the elevation were your at but here at 500ft, 50pilot4th from the top on the clip and somewhere in the 178 to 185mj range is good and thats on my buddies stocker, and my 350

86 Quad R
07-26-2006, 06:29 AM
the jetting can vary depending on elev, humidity and air temp. and believe it or not the needle has an effect on the main jet size aswell. the best thing to do is patiently do an across the board plug chop and get it all dialed in. once set you'll be shocked at the torque.

btw i have a very similar setup as you and i have a DEJ needle, 42 pilot, 162 main w/airscrew 1 1/2 turns out plug gapped at 18-20

PYF
07-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks hang1p and 86 quad r !

By the way I just started the quad with the setup

3th position needle
58 pilot jet
2 turns air screw
165 main jet

And it at least seems to idle...A bit low but will be adjustable with the screw (I suppose)

Let's see how It will work on mid-top :devil:

PYF
07-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Ok damn...I'm still getting owned by that damn piped shee...The quad in running good though...

Just for information, the setup that worked for me was:

175 Main jet
50 Pilot Jet
4Th position on needle
2.25 turns on air screw

I'm not supposed to be beaten by a damn piped shee with the setup I have...Last 2 things I can check is my clutch (which seems to be good) and my compression (My head is shaved but I have the 3 OEM head gaskets installed. (Just wanted to be safe when I rebuild the engine since I didn't have a compression gauge handy))...Still, I don't think that could make a hell lot of differences...

Damn 250r's, I though they were faster than that
:(

kustomfab2003
07-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Actually, I think that you will be owned by it until you go with a larger bore. Don't feel bad, the R's are fast but the Shee is still a 2 stroke and has 100cc's on you and a twin cylinder setup. I'm willing to bet though that if you raced on a track or in the woods he wouldn't stand a chance. I'd be happy with what you have or I think you might go broke trying to beat him.

PS, BIG BORE KIT WILL HELP!!!!

07-30-2006, 06:31 AM
i have both R and a shee...both have pipes, carbs, head mod, the r is a 310 but the banshee is ported and to be honest, the R dont really stand much of a chance in a drag....the banshees just make so much more power and i go thru the gears as fast as i can grab them...the R is quick but not like the banshee

just enjoy what you have...

another thing is u might wanna look into the gearing and size of rear tires...

wilkin250r
07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
It takes some major porting to get a stock-bore 250r to beat a banshee in a straight drag race. The banshee is built for straight-line speed.

The 250r is indeed fast, but it's strength isn't in the motor, it's in the suspension. All the power in the world doesn't help you go faster through big whoops, jumps, turns, and very difficult and technical terrain.

The 250r is indeed "faster", but only on a track. Put an expert on a banshee and a 250r on a MX track, and he'll be pulling better lap times with the 250r.

But not a drag race. The banshee is top-dawg in that arena. If you want to get a 250r to win a drag race, you've got to put quite a bit of money into the motor.

PYF
07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Damn alright :( I'll think I'll be happy with what I have...

Maybe not, a guy that I know has a 310 LRD cylinder for sale :devil:

Anyways I just checked my compression and I only had 150 which is awfully low since I just rebuilt my engine. I will check with another gauge to be sure. I think I shouldn't be running 3 head gaskets, It's really too thick...

86 Quad R
07-31-2006, 06:15 AM
check and see what your squish is at as is. then measure to see what the 3 layer gasket is. idealy you want a min of .035 to .040 squish band. your loosing plenty of power/torque with that low compression.

C-LEIGH RACING
07-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by PYF
Ok damn...I'm still getting owned by that damn piped shee...The quad in running good though...

Just for information, the setup that worked for me was:

175 Main jet
50 Pilot Jet
4Th position on needle
2.25 turns on air screw

I'm not supposed to be beaten by a damn piped shee with the setup I have...Last 2 things I can check is my clutch (which seems to be good) and my compression (My head is shaved but I have the 3 OEM head gaskets installed. (Just wanted to be safe when I rebuild the engine since I didn't have a compression gauge handy))...Still, I don't think that could make a hell lot of differences...

Damn 250r's, I though they were faster than that
:(

In all the checking to get everything running right you left out one item, :D did you do a tune up on the rider.
Eric Gore has this on his site & I beleave in it as well,
Speed, is 95% rider 5% horsepower.
Neil

PYF
07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
check and see what your squish is at as is. then measure to see what the 3 layer gasket is. idealy you want a min of .035 to .040 squish band. your loosing plenty of power/torque with that low compression.

I could not really accurately play with my squish So I removed 2 layers on the head gasket. Rechecked the compression and I'm at plus/minus 170 which is still not really high considering the head is shaved. Still, gaining 20 in compression in only 30 minutes is not that bad:devil:

Checked my jetting and I'm a little bit on the rich side. I will really jet it alright tomorrow. I only putted a jet on the safe side with a quick plug check for this weekend since it's better fouling a plug than burning a jug:scary:

Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
In all the checking to get everything running right you left out one item, :D did you do a tune up on the rider.
Eric Gore has this on his site & I beleave in it as well,
Speed, is 95% rider 5% horsepower.
Neil

Lol :devil:

I always did fairly well in drag races before :(

Thanks a lot everybody for your help by the way!

I'm now really thinking about getting that 310 LRD jug :devil:....or trading it for a shee or zilla :huh

But I want to stay RED :devil:...Just want a fast one haha since the handling is out of this world :devil:

86 Quad R
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by PYF
....or trading it for a shee or zilla :huh

But I want to stay RED :devil:...Just want a fast one haha since the handling is out of this world :devil:

dont do it MAN!!! you'll have regrets for the rest of your life. :blah:

07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
regret it for life?? lol u can always get another R...get a 330 kit...

PYF
07-31-2006, 09:53 PM
dont do it MAN!!! you'll have regrets for the rest of your life. :blah:

Yeah I know...

Just to make it hard, somebody called today when I was at work(I putted the quad for trade for fun on a sale site) to trade it for a 99 shee stocker. :scary:

Now that's a dilemma, I'll see what he really wants when I talk with him

Aceman
07-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Do you do anything but drag? If you do, why would you consider the banshee? Seems to me, he has a reason to trade you for the R, it's a better all around quad.:o

PYF
07-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Do you do anything but drag? If you do, why would you consider the banshee? Seems to me, he has a reason to trade you for the R, it's a better all around quad.:o

Seriously, I mainly do sand pit and hill climbing...Small jumps and some trails. Also do high-speed gravel(?) roads...I don't race neither do huge jumps...My friend has a 2006 banshee and it handles like **** compared to my R, even if my R has a lot of worn things on it! But the fact it's that it's faster!

86 Quad R
08-01-2006, 06:16 AM
you said it yourself.............. the banshee handles like shee-it!!! and the fact of the matter is that you do a wide rang of riding is all the more reason to keep the R. now!! if your wanting some speed to go with that "all around" riding then i say save your nickles and as Captain Pickard would say "Make it so" :D
its really a no brainer lol

PYF
08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Technically, I just want to trade it because the transmission is pissing me off. Looked nice when I rebuild it but it's now acting ****ty...It's maybe just not like the ATF Type-F oil in it though lol...Another thing is that the damn shifter seal isn't stopping leaking. The case is eaten a little as is the shifter shaft so I can't find a seal that fit tightly. 400ex seals leaks and a 250r seal is too small.I just hate having an engine leaking oil:scary:

I wouldn't be trading it if it wasn't for that :devil:

PYF
08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Anybody have an idea of how I could repair my damn shifter seal so it's finally stop leaking ? :scary:

The problem is that the case and the shifter shaft is damaged so the outside and inside diameter of the seal is now innacurate...

BLACKeR
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
im going to come down a little different than most on this, but a banshee is probly a great quad for you. banshees do not handle anything like an R will. however for the majority of the ATV riding world, a banshees power and handling fit their skill level and riding style just fine. most ATVers are not hammering tracks or busting bark on tight technical trails. places where an R really shines. if you spend your riding time drag racing, just doing burn outs around in fields of ripping up and down gravel roads. a banshee is a great quad. with very little money they can be made fast enough to more than scare the average rider. and they're not that hard to maintain. banshees get a bad name because a lot of people who own them are stupid and couldnt maintain anything. if your friend already has a banshee chances are you would both have a lot of fun trying to outbuild the other one. i think you would enjoy the shee.

baker250r
08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
ATF IN UR ATV TRANNY? put synthetic 10w40 in there and get rid of the tranny fluid

PYF
08-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by baker250r
ATF IN UR ATV TRANNY? put synthetic 10w40 in there and get rid of the tranny fluid

A lot of people actually runs it in atv tranny. Mainly drags quad though...The clutch don't slip at all this way. You just need to change it often. I wonder though if it's what's causing the tranny to act strangely... Like going on neutral sometimes when I shift...

86 Quad R
08-03-2006, 07:03 AM
there are PLENTY of guys around here that use ATF(dextron) but mostly in drag applications as you mentioned. it's my understanding that type F has a graphite added to it. :confused:
i'm not sure though.

youve mentioned that your shift shaft is disfigured and wont seat. could it also be somewhat tweeked. that would cause a tranny to shift funny. :blah:

PYF
08-03-2006, 10:27 AM
there are PLENTY of guys around here that use ATF(dextron) but mostly in drag applications as you mentioned. it's my understanding that type F has a graphite added to it. :confused:
i'm not sure though.

youve mentioned that your shift shaft is disfigured and wont seat. could it also be somewhat tweeked. that would cause a tranny to shift funny. :blah:

It could maybe be that. Anyways, the shifter sure isn't accurate

BLACKeR
08-03-2006, 03:37 PM
if you run ATF type-F you need to change it after every ride. it breaks down very quickly.

PYF
08-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
if you run ATF type-F you need to change it after every ride. it breaks down very quickly.

Oops, I'm changing it often but nowhere near that often :scary: