PDA

View Full Version : Eating Oil??

Punk'd
07-23-2006, 10:38 PM
I've noticed that my oil is always low in the little glass. I fill it up and go ride and come in let it cool off, drain back down and its always low.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I dont think im leaking oil, otherwise id see oil puddles.. etc on my garage floor.

Prob not a big deal, but just checking.

DirtDevilBT
07-23-2006, 10:53 PM
If you were to ride for a complete day, how many ounces do you think you would go through. Sounds a little excessive without an aftermarket piston. I don't notice much oil drop over 15 or so hours. With my new piston it's just a hair worse, a hair.

Do any of the people that ride with you notice any puffs of smoke coming out the exhaust?

MAD450r
07-24-2006, 04:58 AM
My mechanic says its normal for the trx and crf 450's to do that once they get 50 + hours on them.

Keep an eye on it and when it starts to go through excessive amounts then its time to tear it down.

if its just a tad low before you go riding just top it off and chek it periodically when ridding and stopping for long enough for the oil to drain back down to the sight glass

Hope that helps cause I was concerned when I first noticed mine doing that.

Punk'd
07-24-2006, 01:41 PM
No puffs of smoke. She runs great.

I dont know.. When I ride it is for long periods of time without breaks.

Maybe im just paranoid:rolleyes:

DirtDevilBT
07-24-2006, 07:38 PM
No, it's a good idea to watch what your quad is doing, it's called being a good owner.

I had close to 80+ hours on my R before I tore it down in favor for some goodies. I didn't do it because there were an problems, just cause speed called me. I can go all weekend without adding oil, Glamis riding that is, 10 or so hours each day, when it was stock. With the piston I have, I need to add just a very small amount after the second day. I'm talking about 1/16 or less of a quart. I am completely happy with that.

Do you think you could manage that? If not it may be excessive but still nothing to worry about if the thing runs good.

How many hours would you guessimate?