PDA

View Full Version : Cdi

ride_red666
07-23-2006, 08:51 PM
i just bought a procom cdi and it makes a BIG difference with my mods. i used to only be able to climb this sandhill in 2nd now i can go up in 4th. i dragged a crf450 up the hill and we were tied all the way. we both have stock tires on. anyone who wants cheap power i recomend you purchase one.

GPracer2500
07-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by ride_red666
i just bought a procom cdi and it makes a BIG difference with my mods. i used to only be able to climb this sandhill in 2nd now i can go up in 4th. i dragged a crf450 up the hill and we were tied all the way. we both have stock tires on. anyone who wants cheap power i recomend you purchase one.

Hmmmm. A CDI allowed you to climb a hill in 4th that you could only climb in 2nd before? And you dragged a CRF450 and didn't get your *** handed to you? To be frank, I think the power of suggestion is allowing you to percieve gains that aren't really there. And they guy on the CRF450 must not have had any clue what he was doing...

Sorry if that's offensive--but your claim strikes me as outragous.

ride_red666
07-25-2006, 01:49 AM
i am not lying, bikes spin alot more in sand, they seem to dig them seles a hole where quads kinda float across the top.... if he had a paddle tire he would have killed me. his bike was stock. i kno im a better rider than the guy on the bike but i was racin cr250s aswell. i have a dyno at work now so the next free weekend i will throw it on there and see how much of a difference it makes and all the other mods.

bsjoe
07-25-2006, 04:29 AM
i am not lying, bikes spin alot more in sand, they seem to dig them seles a hole where quads kinda float across the top.... if he had a paddle tire he would have killed me. his bike was stock. i kno im a better rider than the guy on the bike but i was racin cr250s aswell. i have a dyno at work now so the next free weekend i will throw it on there and see how much of a difference it makes and all the other mods.

thanks im on a budget and im debating whether or not to buy one

SandShark400
07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
the wb cdi is 45.00 and i think it only helps in sand although i havent tried it there because on flat to steep hard terrain i just noticed a lot of revving and the bike starting better in the cold. but when ur at the dunes your climbing all the time and ur bike is working all the time. but on hard ground it is easier hence the higher revs.. and i might have this all wrong

81 clark racing
07-25-2006, 06:11 PM
wb sucks dont waste ur money

GPracer2500
07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 81 clark racing
wb sucks dont waste ur money

My WB box works fine. Lots of people do complain of hard-starting issues though. I live in a warm climate and keep my battery on a Tender, so maybe that's why I haven't had issues--I dunno...

troutman561
07-25-2006, 09:10 PM
AHHH WB is evil! the one i got tok power away for some reason:confused: ... it sucked

ride_red666
07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
this was not the rev box but the cdi, it advances the timing curver, ignighter and revs a s well. i paid 109 for it. this is a rev box as well you can buy with it but i dont kno if it will do anything more....

GPracer2500
07-25-2006, 10:22 PM
this was not the rev box but the cdi, it advances the timing curver, ignighter and revs a s well. i paid 109 for it. this is a rev box as well you can buy with it but i dont kno if it will do anything more....

With a 400EX, rev box = CDI.

johnsls
07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
So whats are or what is the #1 revbox/cdi to buy for a 400ex

Look in my sig. to see my mods,, what should I get?

tks

GPracer2500
07-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by johnsls
So whats are or what is the #1 revbox/cdi to buy for a 400ex

Look in my sig. to see my mods,, what should I get?

tks

In my opinion, most of them are more the same than they are different. Many of them probably ARE the same but are just distributed and lebeled by the various companies. The stand-out models tend to be the Dynatek, Votex, and MSD units. But those get real pricey and unless you've got tons of mods already I wouldn't go that route. The cost vs. benefit just isn't worth it IMO.

I've got a WB. I've not experienced the much talked about starting troubles asscociated with that unit. It raises my rev limit and that's why I run it. It also advances the ignition curve beyond the stock advance but the benefits of that are minimal. Plus, if you've got a high compression piston than the extra advance makes detonation more likely. When I can't or don't want to run race fuel I switch back to my stock CDI.

If I where you I'd just look for any one of the basic aftermarket CDI's. But be on the look-out for deto with your 11:1 piston unless you're running something better than premium pump....

That's my $0.02...

xtullyx16
07-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
In my opinion, most of them are more the same than they are different. Many of them probably ARE the same but are just distributed and lebeled by the various companies. The stand-out models tend to be the Dynatek, Votex, and MSD units. But those get real pricey and unless you've got tons of mods already I wouldn't go that route. The cost vs. benefit just isn't worth it IMO.

I've got a WB. I've not experienced the much talked about starting troubles asscociated with that unit. It raises my rev limit and that's why I run it. It also advances the ignition curve beyond the stock advance but the benefits of that are minimal. Plus, if you've got a high compression piston than the extra advance makes detonation more likely. When I can't or don't want to run race fuel I switch back to my stock CDI.

If I where you I'd just look for any one of the basic aftermarket CDI's. But be on the look-out for deto with your 11:1 piston unless you're running something better than premium pump....

That's my $0.02...

whats detonation?? like the quad blowing up??:eek:

GPracer2500
07-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
whats detonation?? like the quad blowing up??:eek:

Detonation is an abnormal combustion phenomenon. You've probably heard references to engines "knocking" or "pinging" under certain conditions. Those noises are caused by deto.

The normal burn of air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber is consumed through deflagration--a subsonic burn that propogates through thermal conductivity. Detonation is a super-sonic explosion that occurs when the fuel in the air/fuel mixture degrades into highly unstable "end-gases". These end-gases are so unstable they can spontaniously combust without an ignition source--they explode before the flame front of normal combustion reaches and consumes them. End gases form because of heat, pressure, and the timing of the combustion sequence. Advancing the ign timing starts the combustion process sooner so there is more time for end-gases to form. That's how too much ign advance can causes deto. A fuel's octane rating is a measure of the fuel's abililty to resist decomposing into end-gases. That's why lots of compression and lots of ignition advance requires high octane fuel.

Deto is bad for your engine because the super-sonic shock waves smack into the surfaces of the combustion chamber like a sledge hammer. When an engine is knocking or pinging, that's what you are hearing--the whole engine is reverberating from the shock of these waves hitting the surfaces of the combustion chamber. Deto also causes the protective boundry layer gases that insulates the metal sufaces from the hot combustion gases to be blasted away. That lets the combustion gases actually touch the metal sufaces (which doesn't acutally happen when the boundry layer is intact) and errodes the metal away.

Kind of a technical answer, but it's a complicated subject so it's hard to keep it simple. Basically, detonation is an abnormal combustion of the air/fuel mixture and is damaging to your engine. Most engines can withstand a certain amount of deto without damage occuring. But if it's severe enough and prolonged enough it will destroy the engine.

speedracer13t
07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
From what I hear the cheap REV boxes really suck in cold weather. The WB especially. They just don't want to start.

johnsls
07-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Well now I seem to be even more confused, my mods are in my sig., I run super 93 octane not racing fuel.

I guess I'm just looking to make some addt'l improvements to response time and higher rev.

I think the engine will bog down at 8,000rpms so I heard you can get a CDI that tops you out at 10,000pms

I don't want to spend a ton but I don't wanna buy crap either.

Anyone?:confused: