PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 more problems, i think

flauge
07-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Well i went riding today and i found out that i have a little oil seeping between the head and cyl. It aint a lot but its around the whole cyl. Does this happen on anybody elses bike, or do i have a blown headgasket?
Also when im easing along getting up to speed it surges, the motor dosent stumble or anything, it just feels like something is holding it back.. Any ideas on what this is?
Thanks.....

07-23-2006, 09:13 PM
from what i herd your head gasket is blow and you will lose a lot of power b/c you don't have a lot of compression

flauge
07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
It dosent feel like a constant loss of power, it'll fade out for a sec then it'll come back. This is the first time it happeened today... I hope it aint the head gasket tho..:eek:

lghickman21
07-24-2006, 07:04 AM
I am pretty sure it is your head gasket. you will get a little fading in and out if it is not completely blown yet but when it is all the way out you wont be able to pull the front tire. it is not a hard fix if you do it yourself. just watch where the bolts go.

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 07:12 AM
it might be that ur head bolts r a little loose. when an engine heats and cools it expands and contracts. over time it won't contract all the way back to normal. it's like stretching something. over time it will get so stretched out that it won't go back to normal. this type of thing is evident mostly on air cooled engines. check ur torque on the headbolts. if they're loose, then tighten them and take it for a rideto see if that helped. if the condition doesn't change or the bolts are not loose, then u have a blown headgasket.

250x_kyle
07-24-2006, 11:22 AM
its deffinately the head gasket. i had that happen to me a week after i bought mine. why hope it aint the head gasket. that is the easiest thing to get fixed. and when they do that t hey also re adjust the valves be cause they have to take the head off. and the base gasket was only like $7.35 more money in labor than the dang gasket is worth

flauge
07-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Its that easy to replace the head gasket? The only reason that im kinda skiddish of going into the motor is the cam timing possibly being thrown off when everything is being put back together..How hard is it to get the cam timing set and the timing chain tightened back???

lghickman21
07-24-2006, 06:00 PM
if you have some doubts then it may be a better idea to have someone do it that has do it before. but most definately watch them because you will pick up how to do it very quickly.

flauge
07-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Im pretty sure i could do it, with some good instructions that is. Oh well, i guess its time for a shop manual, huh?:blah:
If the heads gonna be off what else should i do while im in there? Im planning on a cam. What about a xr400 head gasket? Aint they a lil thinner? What else should i put in there???

krt400ex
07-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by flauge
Im pretty sure i could do it, with some good instructions that is. Oh well, i guess its time for a shop manual, huh?:blah:
If the heads gonna be off what else should i do while im in there? Im planning on a cam. What about a xr400 head gasket? Aint they a lil thinner? What else should i put in there???

how 'bout a hi-comp piston? that will add alot of performance

flauge
07-25-2006, 07:31 AM
yea thats what im thinkin. Around a 11:1 piston with either a magnum or hotcam stg 2..Im still wondering about the xr400 gasket tho. is it thinner .? That combo wont make it detonate with some 93 would it??

troutman561
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Yes im pretty sure the XR gasket is thinner which will add alittle more compression.

gixer_boy99
07-25-2006, 09:43 PM
I like the 440 gaskets the best. (all metal) Put a stage 2 hotcam in it and a 10.1 compression piston with a sparks advanced timing key.

flauge
07-26-2006, 06:42 AM
u can use the key with a 10.1 piston and still run 93?

krt400ex
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
yes

gixer_boy99
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I have a 11.1 piston and the timing key... Its fine to me.......

flauge
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Ive been looking at those Namura pistons and i think i might get one of those. What do yall think of em? They've got coated skirts and anodized tops, sounds like it would help reduce friction and maybe run a lil cooler.....11.1 comp also...

GPracer2500
07-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Ive been looking at those Namura pistons and i think i might get one of those. What do yall think of em? They've got coated skirts and anodized tops, sounds like it would help reduce friction and maybe run a lil cooler.....11.1 comp also...

Namura makes both cast and forged pistons. I believe many of them are cast. I would not choose a cast piston over forged so just make sure you know which one you are getting...

flauge
07-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Yea i kinda changed my mind after i found out most of them are cast:ermm: ... Whats the lightest piston thats out now?? ive heard JE was...

GPracer2500
07-31-2006, 01:26 AM
I slightly prefer JE over Wiseco but their both quaility pistons. CP pistons look to be a very good piston although I've got no direct experience with them. They're real expensive too.

JE is the only one of the three that lists piston weights in their catalog. I suppose you'd have to call the manufacture to get weights for the others. I bet they're all pretty close...

flauge
08-01-2006, 07:36 AM
I still dont know which one to get. It'll either be JE or weisco tho. Anyways, heres a lil followup on one of my problems. When i said i thought the power was fading and it wasnt stuttering,well i found out that it does sputter. When i hold it at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it'll start stuttering then,but when i mash on the gas it'll clear up and go like normal. What's that sound like?? Could it be the spark plug, it hasnt been changed in a while i bet. Its one of those things i kinda forget to do..:scary:

krt400ex
08-01-2006, 08:23 AM
I still dont know which one to get. It'll either be JE or weisco tho. Anyways, heres a lil followup on one of my problems. When i said i thought the power was fading and it wasnt stuttering,well i found out that it does sputter. When i hold it at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it'll start stuttering then,but when i mash on the gas it'll clear up and go like normal. What's that sound like?? Could it be the spark plug, it hasnt been changed in a while i bet. Its one of those things i kinda forget to do..:scary:

ya could be a fouled plug. or ur pilot jet could be rich

-copyguy-
08-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Oh well, i guess its time for a shop manual, huh?

you got a pm.

flauge
08-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by -copyguy-
you got a pm. Hey i just got it