PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Motor

07-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Anybody have suggestions on best way to ship a motor?

I was thinking about making a nice box out of wood and running threaded rod thru the box that would go thru the motor mount areas on the motor. This would take longer to make and be heavier, but I would feel my motor would get to the destination unharmed.

j28d
07-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Usually I ship motors in double ply 20x20x24 boxes rated at 120+(I get them from a local boxes unlimited store). I wrap them in plastic or a trash bag, put about 2 in. pellets on the bottom, set the motor in, and fill it up with pellets, bubble wrap, or shipping paper(last resort). I've shipped 5 motors like this through a fedex hub and it's never costed more then $70(usually less) and I've never had any problems with the packaging. Fedex ground is usually the cheapest unless whoever it's going to can pick it up at a greyhound station. Also, if it's going to a commercial address, or in a pinch make up a business name to put under the guys name it's going to, it'll be cheaper.

x.system
07-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I shipped a bottom end in a plastic tote, 6" of insulation foam undernieth and filled the rest with pellets. Zipp tied the lid on and it made it fine. I used usps, residential and was under $50

TampaBoy813
07-23-2006, 08:55 PM
I used a mail tote...wraped the motor in plastic, "a lot" if the mail/ups/fedex smells GAS/Oil...it will not make it...so make sude its clean

Aceman
07-23-2006, 08:59 PM
I've never had to ship a motor before but something I've always though would work perfect is rigid insulation. It's basically a sheet of styrofoam that comes in different thicknesses available at Home Depot, etc. A sheet 1 1/2-2" thick would probably work great, set the motor on it, it will compress and form around the bottom of the motor while making a good damage resistant base. I think it's about 14 bucks for a 4x8 sheet 1 1/2" thick, good insurance in my opinion.

07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
dump 1/2 bottle of febreze in their takes care of that problem