PDA

View Full Version : 416 kit VS 440 kit

omega27
07-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, comments, recommendations, comparisons, etc etc on the 416 and 440 kits for a Honda 400ex. I have been wanting to get a big bore kit for my 400 but i have heard that 440 kits can result in poor low end but i dont want to be left wanting more if i get a 416 and it turns up with not much more high end. Any information would be appriciated. Also i may add that i mainly go duning if that makes any difference as to which to choose.

Thanks guys.
Jesse:D

1st post

Wheelie
07-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Go with a 440 stroker. Pulls hard from near idle to the rev limiter.

Killer setup.:macho

omega27
07-23-2006, 10:04 PM
thank you for a speedy response wheelie i will look into a 440 stroker kit. is there a brand you recommend.

Thanks
Jesse:D

omega27
07-23-2006, 11:28 PM
also i would like to ask a recommended cam for it that would go good with a kit and still leave me bottom end. I am mostly looking for bottom to mid range on this quad.

Thanks a bunch.

Jesse

also i have looked on Powroll.com is this a good company?
it looked very quality

THANKS!!

GPracer2500
07-24-2006, 02:02 AM
Personally, my feeling is that there are only specific cases where anything more than a 416 (or 426) makes sense. And it mostly has to do with economics.

If a person has an EX chassis that already has considerable upgrades (shocks, A-arms, axles, et al) than it may make sense to go ahead and build the EX engine full-tilt. But otherwise, it just costs too much to make all the necessary upgrades. I would NOT do anything more than a 416 (or maybe a 426) without considerable cooling upgrades and other supporting add-ons. By the time you're done, you'd have been better off to sell the EX and buy a used TRX/YFZ 450 (or even new, depending on how much the EX is worth and how much performance you're contemplating trying to achieve). The cost of upgrading to a newer machine would be comparable and you'll have a better and more reliable bike in the 450. This is especially true in a mostly dune quad where every last bit of HP counts.

Before there where lots of 450s out there everything was different. Now, it just doesn't make sense (to me) to try and turn an EX into something it's not.

All of the above discounts the possibility that some people may want a fully built EX because they want a fully built EX. For some folks building a machine into 100% of it's potential is a worthwhile endevor in an of itself--and that's fine. But if what you really want is a quad that has the newest technology and the highest potential for performance, then a fully built EX is NOT what you want.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing built EXs (I've got a mildly built EX myself) but I feel most people will never be satisfied trying to turn an EX into something it isn't.

A 416 with a cam, intake and exhaust mods, and maybe a new carb is about all I would recommend. Maybe pony up for some headwork too (if you've got the cash and are pretty sure you're not going to want to upgrade the whole quad anytime soon). If that's not going provide enough performance than consider a newer machine as the wiser choice...

my $0.02

Wheelie
07-24-2006, 07:50 AM
GPracer2500--

You have a good point.

Omega27--

I went with Powroll, excellent company to deal with: knowledgeable and friendly. I went w/a stage 3 HotCams.

I have no problem hanging with and beating the new 450's. Can't wait to install a new carb and full exhaust.:macho

EXevan91
07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
i have a 416 with a cam and some home done clean up porting and it all came out to around $500 and thats what i would recomend a 440 strokers would be nice but if i were going that far in the cash department i would have went with a gt tunder 452 stroker or a hot rods 460 would be cheaper but i wouldnt spend that much. go with a 416 and a cam ether stg2 hot cams or a magnum stage 2 (what i have theres no problems) and you will be happy :) and if u arnt well than u can look into throwing a powroll stroker rod. but i think u will be happy with a 416 and cam for a will cuz any way u go in this build once u get used to the power u want more its life... and thats why they think they have the right to charge us so much for this $h|t.

GL WITH YOUR BABY.

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by omega27
also i would like to ask a recommended cam for it that would go good with a kit and still leave me bottom end. I am mostly looking for bottom to mid range on this quad.

Thanks a bunch.

Jesse

also i have looked on Powroll.com is this a good company?
it looked very quality

THANKS!!

it will hit hard off the bottom with the stock cam but it won't have anything on top because it won't be able to breathe well. i'm talking about the 440 kit. and who told u that the 440 doesn't have any bottom. the 440 is a torque monster.

hot rods makes a 460 kit that is very reliable and pulls hard from the bottom to the top. i think it is around $760 including bore, sleeve installation, labor, ect... it does not include the price of the cam. they use the hotcams stage 1 cam for that kit.

Wheelie
07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
The Hotcams Stage 1 won't be enough to feed a 460.

Anything 440 and over should use a Stage 3 or more, IMO.

Dune Surfer
07-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I went down this road with my 400ex, For dune riding it is not enough.
It goes something like this.....416 hot cams, pipe, filter ect...
Better than stock,but..........still to slow, needed race gas, pulled the studs out of the cylinder
426, porting, jumbo studs installed in the cylinder.....A little faster, ran hot, not worth the $$$, sold the quad, bought a Predator. You can get one used and a 440 won't catch it.

So my advice, sell and buy something faster, water cooled, better suspension, better everything. If you are determined to go the rebuild mode. Go 440, cam, porting. It will run faster and break down more often.

Spend your $$$ on suspension. If you can out run them through the whoops and dune transitions You can keep up.:)

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie

the old stage 1 won't be enough, the new one is specificly dsigned for big bore motors. u can check on the website

GPracer2500
07-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
the old stage 1 won't be enough, the new one is specificly dsigned for big bore motors. u can check on the website

New stage 1?? AFAIK, there's only been one version of the HC stg 1. HC's stroker cam is called: a stroker cam.

omega27
07-24-2006, 07:52 PM
well i am felling mixed emotions cause i dont want to get a 416 to just increase bottom end but dont want to get the 440 if it will put to much stress on the motor. what more will it take besides the kit to make the motor reliable with a 440?

Thanks a bunch guys

Jesse

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
New stage 1?? AFAIK, there's only been one version of the HC stg 1. HC's stroker cam is called: a stroker cam.

they changed the stage one. when was the last time u were on their website? i'll check, but I'm pretty sure

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
just checked. ur right. i guess i read it wrong the last time i was there

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie

there is no stage three, though

Wheelie
07-25-2006, 07:07 AM
There is a Stage 3, also called the stroker cam.

I installed one in my quad about two months ago when I built the motor.