PDA

View Full Version : Thumpstar Pro 90

tarzan271
07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I was going to get a Xtreme Typhoon 90, but according the dealer that I talked to, the MSRP went up to $2900 :( :cuss:

Typhoon 90 (http://nwmotowinner.com/xtremequad.htm)

I found a Thumpstar Pro 90 at another dealer. He has 4 of them he is selling for $1895 each, so I think I will go that route.:D I talked to a guy online that is a dealer and he claims his kid beat some Kasea's with $4500 into them at a MX race. He say's it is about 11hp stock, has great suspension, and will pull wheelies easily. The extended arms of the Apex Pro or Typhoon would be nice, but I need to keep the price under $2400. Also, I won't need to pay shipping like I might have to if I get a Xtreme and it is a 2-stoke liquid cooled quad. I wish it had a 4 speed as the CVT is a pain, but at least it is simple for the kids.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Thumpstar Pro's or even better, some pics? I can't find very much about these online.

Rey Deleon
07-24-2006, 03:12 AM
sorry to heare about the price increase. The Thumpstars have a reliable and quality engine. the suspension is real nice the power is very good as well.

The type of bike you're going after also depends on the type of rider and the riders abilities. If the rider is a novice it might not be such a good idea to start them out on a Thumpstar. I made the mistake of allowing my daughter to ride a Thumpstar TDX 125cc Expert. way too much power it set ride on her little backside. she was real nervous about even getting back on her cbr70.

Rey Deleon
07-24-2006, 03:28 AM
Im sorry about going on about the Thumpstar pit bike. after i submitted the post i realized that i replied about the wrong bike.

My daughter Elizabeth raced in the Rev-on racing series in Big River, CA and she is a good little racer for a 9 year old with no racing experience. she took first several times over some real fast little kids. it also helped that she was on the Thumpstar pro shark 90. she took the holeshot several times and was always in the top three through the start.

we had a great experience with the pro shark and we are going to sell her thumpstar 90 and put her on a Typhoon 125cc.

I do own a shop and I carry many hop up parts for the pit bikes we stock and i cant wait to see the Typhoon we purchase from ourselves ( i always pay full price I have to support myself too) with BBR, CHP, and other industry leading aftermarket parts.

I hope this was helpful.

Livin4Real
07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
I was going to get a Xtreme Typhoon 90, but according the dealer that I talked to, the MSRP went up to $2900

Shop around, they're ripping you off.

tarzan271
07-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I know they were full of it. Unfortunately, I would have to pay shipping elsewhere.

After talking to a kid that races for Apex, he said he loves the Thumpstar and he is leary about the frame on the Xtreme. At least with the Thumpstar, we know the weak points and can gusset it.

I ended up buying a new '05 Thumpstar Pro 90 for $1800 out the door. He has 4 of them and if I can sell my '05 Predator 90, I will buy another. The dealer is pretty clueless about the Thumpstars, but said he got a good deal on factory closeouts, but there's no market for them where he is. He said original dealer cost was about $2200 and another dsealer told me he pays $1900 for them. Anyway, I am stoked and I am sure my kid will love it.

His Polaris is stock, and he definately needs more power. Instead of dumping at least $1k into it, I am getting a better quad for cheaper. If anyone else wants one of the Thumpstars, PM me and after I go get mine on Friday, I will let you know if he has any more left.

It seems they are the same as the Apex/AASCO/Xtreme Pro Shark/MX with a few minor differences. The dealer claims it's 14 hp, but I think he is wrong. Probably closer to 10hp at the most. He says he got the numbers from the manufaturer, but the other dealer said the 100's are 14hp and the 90's are 11hp. We'll see!

tarzan271
07-24-2006, 01:35 PM
This is kind of long, but I figure I would post this since I can't find much info about these online. This is an email conversation I had with a 7th grader that has a Apex Pro MX and his dad is a Thumpstar dealer.

Me:
How do you like the Thumpstar? I found 1 for $1900 new (Pro90) and it
is between that and a Xtreme Typhoon 90 or 125. Any suggestions?

Cody:
The pro 90 is wicked fast! My sister beat a Kasea with $4,500 bucks into it and a big bore kit. It's a little slow off the bottom, but gets up and goes. Where are you getting one for $1,900. $1,900 is dealer cost. Did I say that we are dealers. The Apex 90 MX is better. Its got different clutching for take offs and is stretched 6 inches in the rear and 8 inches in the front.

Me:
He has 4 of them. He claims the motor has 14hp, but I figure its closer to 7 or 8. Is yours stock or have you upgraded the engine?

The Apex looked good too, but the MX 90 is a little pricey. The Typhoon has all that does, plus front/rear hydraulic disk brakes, insane suspension travel (streched A-arm & swing), shocks w/ ressies, and is a auto shifter. Check it out at www.xtremepitbike.com There is a ton of gossip on it on other forums, but no reviews yet. There is a dealer 3 hours from me that is looking into getting me one. Billy Holt at WRH helped design them. Also, WRH and Hetricks both already have mods for it.

The Typhoon 90 is only $2k and the 125cc is $2400. That price still blows my mind for what you get.

Thanks for the info Cody.

Cody:
It has 11horse the 100 has 14. Next year they are putting disks in the front
for the pro. My weight is 140 and have jumped that thing like 2-3 feet and it's as soft as a pillow never bottomed out. I havent found any bigger jumps yet. Oh yah its completly stock. And the thumpstar is water cooled and has more suspension travel in the rear same in the front. The frame looks weak on that typhoon.

Me:
Good points. I emailed the dealer about the Thumpstar and made him an offer of $1800. Hopefully he will take it. It is only 4.5 hours from me, so I could pick it up. I also like the bumper & nerfs on the Thumpstar way better. The Typhoon has an ugly heel gaurd now also. Check out the dealer pics at http://www.bigcountrymotorsports.com/typhoon.ivnu

Thanks for the advice and hopefully he will accept my offer.

My son isn't a big time MX racer, but I want a bike that will last him until he is at least 12. I also want him to keep up with me on the dunes. He is 8 now, but he is too big for his brothers (6) stock polaris 90. I was going to shell out $2600 for a TRX90, but found that I could do much better with one of these or a Typhoon. I think the frame will be fine on either one for him since he doesn't jump 4-5 ft. in the air...at least not yet. The stock pred. 90 wont jump very high, so soon we will see how daring he really is.

Cody:
Yah the typhoon beeing a four stroke is probably going to be slow even though they are manual. I was meaning I don't think the frame would hold up to the thumpstar frame. And the typhoon only has a 19mm carb.

Me:
Good point. I didn't even see that. I thought it had a 22 or 24mm. Also, the tires are smaller and look at that funky rear shock mount. Here are some more pics I found and it has a vid.

http://www.****techatv.com/XtremeATV/index.php

Isn't the Thumpstar the same as the AASCO/Apex Pro Mx minus the extended a-arms and axle? Everything else looks the same to me. Extended swing, engine, etc.

http://www.apexatv.com/new_products.html

Also, what parts fit the Thumpstar? Rims, engine, exhaust, suspension, etc.?? Do you need to change a rev limiter like a CDI or something to get the most out of it? What about the intake, reeds, and muffler? How are they?

Thanks again for the help. You are the only one I've found that knows anything about these.

Cody:
Yah on big country motors it says it has a 19mm never heard of one though. The only thing different between the aasco/apex pro mx is the extended
arms/axle, different tires, different clutching, and a different end piece on
the exhaust. If you turn the timing to 180, you get alot more. For some reason
they love timing. I know a lot about the apex because apex sent me the pro mx 90 to race.

Me:
I assume you mean 180 deg. adv., right? How do you turn the timing to 180. I think I might post our conversation on a forum since this is more info than I have found anywhere. Thnx

kasea90cc
07-24-2006, 08:33 PM
if you buy the tumpstar change the pipe , makes big differents, add aarms and axle and you got your selfs a aasco pro 90:D