PDA

View Full Version : battle scar story with pics from St Joe

<DRS>GPF
07-23-2006, 08:12 AM
we hit St Joe twice a year to climb hills etc. and the usual victim wasnt with us, so I filled in..

i'd recently replaced my WB E series with the stock muffler and it'd been feeling sluggish all day.. (noticably less low end) it was 90+ in the shade, which adds a little to it..

went up an 80ft or so hill that started at about 40degrees then rolled up to 60 to 75 at the apex, with a right turn at the top of the first part and a short easy climb of 20ft to the left to reach very top afterwards..

not terribly technical, but it still gets the juices flowing..

i hit it pinned in second and let off to roll into the right turn, planning on creeping over the top so i could make the left without overshooting and tumbling sideways down the hill..

i realized id let id down too much, as i bore to the right and poured on some more coals but it was too late..
my fronts hit the peak and i grabbed clutch, stomped down one and layed over the bars..

it lugged down and stopped with my fronts sitting on the top, then started sliding back.. my fingers were white knuckled on that front brake..
i held it for a couple of seconds and looked for a place to bail..
it slid back about 6ft and i let go and lunged for the side, but the quad came too.. (it hit the wall of the right turn which tilted it right back onto me)
i remember putting my arms up and grabbing the bar pad as it rolled up and over me, dragging me a few feet.. i gave a big push with my feet to get the quad over me and rolled a few more feet to a sitting position facing downward.. just in time to see it make its last tumble and land on all fours, facing the guys i was with..

they said it bounced twice after it looked like i threw it off..

bent the subframe at the grab bar and the right side of the handle bars were down about 2 inches.. otherwise it had some superficial scratches..

...mommy...

that was within 2hrs of getting there.. i washed up, used a loading ramp for leverage to bent the bars back up, downed some suds at outlaws that night(ladies night for those old enough).. then gassed up and took off again the next morning..

enough story, here's some pics..

<DRS>GPF
07-23-2006, 08:14 AM
i was lucky... it couldve been worse..

a week later and you could hardly tell..(except for the deep scratches..)

guess who now owns a chest and back protector..:D

quads14589
07-23-2006, 08:17 AM
dang ur back must of been hurting after that one.

<DRS>GPF
07-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by quads14589
dang ur back must of been hurting after that one.

slept on my stomach for a few days..:(

<DRS>GPF
07-23-2006, 08:29 AM
heres a pic after i licked my wounds..

87250rxrider
07-23-2006, 08:43 AM
all i can say is ouch. :eek2: looks like it hurt a little bit.

YFZ450Ridr
07-23-2006, 10:42 AM
ouch, looks like it hurt. where were the hills u guys were pulling at? the most fun hills i like to pull is way over on the right next to the lake, and then theres the one red mud and rock hill right off the flats that is always challenging.

miller821
07-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
enough story, here's some pics..

And your smiling:huh JK, that looks like it hurt quite a bit!

I'm hopin to go down there soon now that my quads almost done.

Phills450r
07-23-2006, 05:02 PM
wouldnt a chest chest protector of helped you out? i know alot of people don't use them but to race/practice with but i wear mine all the time now that I broke some bones :/

<DRS>GPF
07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Phills450r
wouldnt a chest chest protector of helped you out? i know alot of people don't use them but to race/practice with but i wear mine all the time now that I broke some bones :/

yes it wouldve.. so would not wrecking my quad..:blah:

as a result, i now own one...

AtvMxRider
07-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Ouch!!!

Punk'd
07-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I think I know where that hill is.

Pretty knarly stuff they got out there:)

DieselBoy
07-23-2006, 09:47 PM
jesus christ! that must of hurt like HELL! thankfully i've always worn my chest protector. it's proven itself many times.

yamablaster24
07-23-2006, 09:55 PM
man that sucks, im sure you would have been fine had your loyal steed been properly tuned...

here is what happened to me WITH a chest protector and all appropiate gear...
your back woulda been a lot better prolly better then mine had you had one, but hey live and learn right
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/yamablastermx/IMG_0151.jpg