PDA

View Full Version : Do-it-yourself two stroke porting

GPracer2500
07-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Anyone tried porting your own cylinder with Race Logic's (http://www.racelogic.com/whatissportport/) porting templates?

They cut out templates on a magnetic sheet using a CNC mill. You place the template in your cylinder and then scribe the outline of the new port dimentions. The scribe line then becomes your guide on where to remove material.

Anyone tried this? Seems like an interesting option for "porting on a budget". I'll be the first to say that porting and budget don't usually belong in the same sentence--but if all you're looking for is a little extra snap in a recreational engine...???

plkmonster2
07-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Hmm... Do they stick to nickel coating? If you port that, you will need it re-nickeled. The only problem I see is getting a tool in there, and not screwing it up.

GPracer2500
07-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by plkmonster2
Hmm... Do they stick to nickel coating? If you port that, you will need it re-nickeled. The only problem I see is getting a tool in there, and not screwing it up.

I don't think any of the applications they offer have Nikasil (or similarly coated) cylinders.

ETA: The magnet wouldn't stick to a non-sleeved coated cylinder anyway...

st8jacket
07-23-2006, 06:07 AM
they do work,but your only going to get say ....minimal gains.There porting is very tame....The tools you need to do it right are about the price to send your jug out to a reputable shop....