PDA

View Full Version : quick help

kyleschonert
07-22-2006, 06:12 PM
I just replaced the steering stem bearing on my 300ex, but forgot to put the little gold piece in there before the bearing. Im having more trouble getting the bottom dust seal out then the bearing itself. The other one came out easy b/c it was trash. This one is brand new and I dont wanna tear it up, what is the best way to take it out without destroying it. Thanks, kyle. p.s. please respond as quick as you can, I have a race monday and have to work all day monday, so i have to get everything put back together asap. thanks again, kyle.

brandonhtrx450r
07-22-2006, 07:21 PM
r u talking about the seal that goes under the nut?

Sjorge450R
07-22-2006, 07:58 PM
well, if the seal is not coming out easy, your not going to save it. You race MX and I think that if you dont worry about the collar, you should be fine. Just take off any steering stabilizers you have. I would order a new seal from Honda and then replace it after your next race. Just heat that sucker up and let it melt out. Also, dont tighten the stem nut all the way. Its a lock nut, so its not going to back off and there is also a coder pin so the stem wont pull out. Just leave it alone and back that nut off.

kyleschonert
07-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Thats the thing though, I just put this new bearing in, then the seals on, and just put the stem into place but didnt tighten it b/c i then noticed that I had to put in that gold piece. And now it wont come out. Do I even need it that much? I just need to get it out so I can knock the bearing back out. I never ride woods, only MX, so will it be ok?

Sjorge450R
07-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
Thats the thing though, I just put this new bearing in, then the seals on, and just put the stem into place but didnt tighten it b/c i then noticed that I had to put in that gold piece. And now it wont come out. Do I even need it that much? I just need to get it out so I can knock the bearing back out. I never ride woods, only MX, so will it be ok?

Like I said. I do not think that it will hurt any thing if you just put the nut on a little and remove your stabilizer. When I mean a little, just get the nut on there but dont squish it against the seal. Its not going to come off but just check the nut after every moto.

kyleschonert
07-23-2006, 07:40 AM
I got it out. Is the correct order what is shown on the OEM sites? Like this? and does the steering shaft collar go in before the bearing it self?

kyleschonert
07-23-2006, 07:42 AM
forgot pic. steering shaft collar is number 6 btw.

kyleschonert
07-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Ended up getting it on and the dust seal is fine. Thanks for all your help everyone. And Sjorge300EX you still interested in that brake rotor? I got pictures if you would like them. Thanks again for all the help, Kyle.