PDA

View Full Version : Back Spasms .

Quad18star
07-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Anyone ever get really bad back spasms ?? If so what do you do to help it .

For the last 4 days I've been getting really bad lower back spasms . They started off being just a slight pain , now they are nearly killing me .... to the point where I couldn't sleep a wink lastnight . I don't know how I did it ... I know I didn't lift anything heavy , but I can't remember if I maybe twisted the wrong way or something . It almost feels as though I may have slipped a disk in my lower back .

I've tried everything I could think of to get rid of the pain .... Tylenol 3s , stretching , using a TENS machine , heating pads , etc . There is a history of back problems in my family .... my dad has had surgery for his lower back , along with some of his brothers .

I'm just wondering if there's something that you guys know of that might help get rid of this pain , that I might not have tried yet . If the pain doesn't go away by Monday , I'm gunna have to go into a clinic to get this checked out .

quads14589
07-22-2006, 03:34 PM
i used to get really bad back problems from working around the house and lifting weights and bending down alot. Then i finally went to the cyropractor with my mom and that helped out alot now i dont really get anymore,

GPracer2500
07-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Get it checked out.

I can sympathize with the pain. I've broken my back twice (yes, twice) and each injury was accompanied by DEBILATATING back spasms. I'm talking wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-SCREAMING type of pain.

Good luck.

DRT
07-22-2006, 03:46 PM
I had the same thing happen.I went to a chiropractor 3 visits and it was all cleared up.

Quad18star
07-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Get it checked out.

I can sympathize with the pain. I've broken my back twice (yes, twice) and each injury was accompanied by DEBILATATING back spasms. I'm talking wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-SCREAMING type of pain.

Good luck.

That's the kind of pain I'm getting .... litterally pain that makes me want to scream . Earlier today I was walking through the mall with my girlfriend and I don't know if I just took a wrong step or twisted a little , but I had a back spasm and I nearly screamed and it almost brought to the ground . I honestly thought my legs were going to give out on me .

I think it's going to be an early trip to the clinic or emergency room Monday morning .

:grr:

quads14589
07-22-2006, 04:04 PM
ciropractor will do the trick.

GPracer2500
07-22-2006, 04:39 PM
FWIW, I wouldn't go to an Urgent Care facility. I'm not sure if they are all the same but the one I once went to would not take back X-rays (I forget the reason why). I had to go to the ER for that.

Any chiropractor worth going to will have X-ray equiptment too. Although, I'm not a big fan of chiropractors...had a bad experience once. I stick with orthopedic MDs now. Chiropractors are NOT medical doctors. I put them on the same plane as physical therapists. That's not a knock--I've had many great experiences with PTs. I'm just saying they don't go to medical school.

$0.02

motoxgirl419
07-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I work in the orthopedics dept at our clinic here in town. It sounds like you def. need to have it checked out. It could be a slipped disk or muscular like mine. Either one, sucks. But the dr.s will want to take xrays and examine ya to make sure. Specially if the pains shoots down your legs.
They can give ya muscle relaxers to help if it is not a slipped disk. My back went out on me once at work and it was the most horrible pain I've ever had. I couldnt move. It felt like someone just stabbed me with a long knife. The ambulance came and got me and took me to the E.R. Only to find out is was just a muscle strain. I now have to sleep with a pillow behind my back and have to do certain back excercises to strenthen it.
Keep us updated on how it goes, but dont put it off any longer. Go see a dr on monday.

trick250r
07-22-2006, 09:55 PM
try hanging on to a bar or something... you know, in other words putting your back in traction. if it makes it feel better, its prob a disc prob. thats just my guess.

250rAL
07-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Muscle relaxers---but you'll have to go to the Dr. to get them.

Bullitt
07-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I had that problem for two months, until I found a good chiropractor. That and if you can find some stuff called orthogel, it works good. It actually numbs the muscle(which evidently lessens the pain)

mattonln
07-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey man, I know exactly how you feel. My dad and grandpa have both had back surgeries, my grandpa having 2, so I know what its like to have constant lower back pain with paralyzing spasm everytime you stand up or even move wrong! The best thing to do is go to the chiropractor and get adjusted once a week until your pain goes away. I was actually surprised at how much the chiropractor helped my back. It gave me instant relief from alot of the pain after just the first visit. IT IS WORTH IT! Good luck - Matt

DieselBoy
07-23-2006, 09:13 PM
i get this regularly. its the most excrutiating pain. I have a prescription for Toradol, which is a drug they give you after surgery, and it's very, very, very strong. Sometimes it doesn't help, though. I just have to be careful as heck or it happens.