PDA

View Full Version : About had it with the 300, lol

rollie
07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Long story short, somehow i stripped my oil drain bolt threads the night before im leaving for a race, im 10th in points and i want top 10 this season bad, right now its not lookin to good because of the drain bolt threads, my dad is going to try and drill and tap it tommrow, only thing hes concerned about is when drilling it that the shaving are going to go into the engine and do damage, what can i do to stop this?

thanks

Scro
07-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Put it on some kind of stand when you are doing it, so that it is upright and most of the shavings will fall out with the tap. Even then, I would fill it back up with oil and drain it again; just to make sure there is none in there.

07-21-2006, 09:03 PM
If you want a qucik fix for just the weekend use a heli coil? I forgot the name.

07-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
Put it on some kind of stand when you are doing it, so that it is upright and most of the shavings will fall out with the tap. Even then, I would fill it back up with oil and drain it again; just to make sure there is none in there.

Thats what I was thinking. I would just put some old oil in it and drain it, so you dont have to waste new oil.

TheFontMaster
07-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Pour oil into the filler hole while you are drilling out the drain bolt. It would be kind of messy, but atleast with the oil flowing out of the drain hole, it would keep pieces of metal from going into the motor. I don't know if that would work, it sounds like it would, or maybe I'm just so tired that it sounds like a good idea:o

NorCalRacer
07-22-2006, 07:53 AM
You can also grease the tap so the shavings stick to it. Works pretty well actually. :D

Sjorge450R
07-22-2006, 10:20 AM
go to pep boys and get a oil drain bolt that is self tapping. Its a 14mm near the oils and chit on the end of the isles. Its a self tapper.

I hope you still have time. I did the same excact thing, except I was 3rd in points at the time.

bigbadbrad
07-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
You can also grease the tap so the shavings stick to it. Works pretty well actually. :D

yup this wuold be the best thing to do along with a heili coil

Sjorge450R
07-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
yup this wuold be the best thing to do along with a heili coil

when I was looking for a heli coli at the time, no one had a 14mm. Im sure Napa did, but I did mine it on a saturday afternoon so I was forced towards Pep Boys.