PDA

View Full Version : removing axle lock nut?

josh30917
07-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Im needing to replace the axle carrier bearings on my dale but am having trouble removing the lock nut on the left hand side of the axle. I started out by sticking a screw driver in the hole on the nut and spinning it out. It then locked up and broke my screw driver. Any help on how to get it off? Does it pop off or do I need to get something stronger to spin it off? Any help would be appreciated.

Floorit
07-21-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure about a cannondale axle. But Honda's have a large snap ring keeping the nut from coming all the way off the axle. When you remove it, the rest comes off easily.

I can have my axle out in less than 10 minutes.

CannondaleRider
07-21-2006, 09:41 PM
First off, I would remove the caliper.

Next, you loosen the 3 allen bolts under the rubber boot.

Then you should be able to thread the locknut completely off the threads, and out off the end of the axle(with the hub removed of course)

Next you need to push the threaded/splined piece, and rotor towards the axle, enough to get the 2 C-Clips out of the groove on the axle.

You can now pull the threaded piece off, along with the rotor, using the rotor to push the threaded piece off.

Now(after chain is removed of course) you can pull the axle out of the swingarm.

Now, to pull out the carrier, you have to remove the circlip holding the caliper bracket on.

Now pull the carrier out.

:D

Figured i'd tell you all the steps, to save time if you have any other questions.

witech
07-23-2006, 11:22 PM
You should remove the 3 small screws not just loosen them. And some axles have a snap ring instead of the c washers.

CannondaleRider
07-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Why should you have to remove them?

If they are out, to the point where no thread is going through the other side, what difference does removing them make?

C41Xracer
07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
i had to use a pipe wrench on mine, i kept breaking things off trying to move it.Threads were dirty is all i can figure