PDA

View Full Version : Elka shocks??

250Xtreame
08-20-2002, 11:13 AM
I talked to the quad shop about a pair of elka economy dual rate shocks the other day, and my question is for my budget are these the best out there. I have heard alot of good thing about elka but never about the economy version. also how does everyone like their rear elka rebuild? I am going to have a raptor rear rebuilt for my X if I go with the elka.
Sry bout the long post
thanks
ryan

ajr400ex
08-20-2002, 09:24 PM
I have the Elka rebuild on my 400 with SSD and Elkas on the front. I am not that impressed with the rear rebuild. The Elka shock for the rear would be a better choice for the 400. I really like the fronts. The rear rebuild drops the the CG so it corners better but the rear "bucks" more than the stock shock (several close calls going over the bars then it finally did happen). The Elka rear shock fixes the "bucking" problem.

Nausty
08-20-2002, 10:05 PM
I'm not really impressed with my rear rebuild either and wish I went with the entire shock instead. It tends to ride the roughest, bottem the easiest. I can usually deal with it until I start tripling whoops or goign through a ton of rolling whoops.

cotttonwoody
08-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Hey i just ordered a pair of triple rates economies today(Quadshop). I wont get them for a week and a half. But i will tell u how i like them when i get them.

bradley300
08-21-2002, 07:26 AM
i did exactly what your talking about. i wiegh 130lbs so marty put a 400ex spring on the raptor shock and it works awsome but you might have to soften up the compression like i did. as for the fronts, same deal, thier awsome. ive never ridden anything better but, i can tell you they are WAY better than stock and i love them. also, i think you can build them up too. like changing a dual rate to a triple or adding a res later down the road. hope i helped.

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 07:27 AM
You guys need to do somemore adjusting on your rear rebuilds. They will work much better than stock if adjusted right.

250Xtreme, send bradly300 a PM, he has the exact setup you are talking about.

08-21-2002, 08:28 AM
I beg to differ on the fact that the rear rebuild is better than stock! I had Chad Duvals mechanic do my rear rebuild and after countless hours adjusting Im nowhere near as good as the stock was...Yeah the lowered center of gravity is good, but it seems as the top SSD gives you nothing but lost suspension travel and the main spring is weighted too heavy.....Unless the Quadshop has a magic wand to fix this on theirs Id highly recommend staying away from it...

cdalejef
08-21-2002, 08:41 AM
We've had great luck with them!