PDA

View Full Version : So I am being badgered by my buddy

WVdude
07-21-2006, 01:06 PM
He has an 04 yfz with a pipe and a dial a jet or whatever it is called...the adjustable jet before the carb.
Anyway...he is more than sure that he will outrun my new 06 450er....i have ridden his bike a little bit over the past year, it feels stout..but I dont know if he can take me or not...
He is not a better rider than me....its pretty even with me being a little better on the holeshot than him..

We are supposed to line em up tomorrow afternoon. I'll post the results after the run.

What are some of you guys predictions?

am I in over my head or not???

trx400exxracer
07-21-2006, 01:30 PM
with a stock 2006 you will take him you should practice in 2nd gear have it revved up a little bit and start in second and leave him in the dust

WVdude
07-21-2006, 01:56 PM
My bike does admittedly feel a bit quicker than his...but I am just nervous...if I lose I'll never hear the end of it lol.
Ahh well...I can get it out of the hole pretty well as is....so I'l just have to see what happens.

Thanks for any more replies........more opinions are welcome..

Thanks,
Brad Preece

trx400exxracer
07-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by WVdude
My bike does admittedly feel a bit quicker than his...but I am just nervous...if I lose I'll never hear the end of it lol.
Ahh well...I can get it out of the hole pretty well as is....so I'l just have to see what happens.

Thanks,
Brad Preece

ohh yeah have you ever shifted without the clutch (powershifting) that helps a little bit

WVdude
07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
I just got it brand new last tuesday...I'm gona wait a while to absolutely thrash it...ive got the ex to thrash lol

trx400exxracer
07-21-2006, 02:18 PM
I just got it brand new last tuesday...I'm gona wait a while to absolutely thrash it...ive got the ex to thrash lol

its not exactly thrashing if you shift when it is just right

ghott
07-21-2006, 06:20 PM
I have yet to ride an 06 R...but I know that if you throw a full pipe on a YFZ it'll run rather well....better make sure he hasn't done the cam mod either...that would make a huge difference.

Also, be sure to switch quads if you want to know which quad is faster for sure.

Jonas
07-21-2006, 07:25 PM
If yours is stock and you are truley equal riders he will probably take you. Keep your eye out for mistakes, most of the time when I race a buddy he is so pumped up to beat me that he mis-shifts or pops a wheelie. Not making any mistakes is half the battle.

trx400exxracer
07-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by ghott
I have yet to ride an 06 R...but I know that if you throw a full pipe on a YFZ it'll run rather well....better make sure he hasn't done the cam mod either...that would make a huge difference.

Also, be sure to switch quads if you want to know which quad is faster for sure.

i raced a 2005 450r when my 2006 was stock

he had better traction (tires), hrc kit, aftermarket filter, his bike was lower than mine he had gt thunder rebuilds and i beat him and we were equal riders it was close but i beat him:D

ghott
07-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
i raced a 2005 450r when my 2006 was stock

he had better traction (tires), hrc kit, aftermarket filter, his bike was lower than mine he had gt thunder rebuilds and i beat him and we were equal riders it was close but i beat him:D

Wow, the different bore, stroke, and higher compression must really make a difference from the 04/05 to the 06...very nice sir.

I should really not get on one of those things...then I'll want one :(

trx400exxracer
07-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Wow, the different bore, stroke, and higher compression must really make a difference from the 04/05 to the 06...very nice sir.

I should really not get on one of those things...then I'll want one :(

i havent really rode a 2004-05 since last year i think so i dont know how they ride anymore and this guys was geared the same as a 2006 :D

GoldenGloves
07-22-2006, 03:19 AM
It usually comes down to the better rider, if the mods are nearly the same...

How much did you pick up your bike for? Was it brand new?

WVdude
07-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Well we raced numerous times.. from a dig, roll any way you can race we did.
From a dig he couldnt run me down....i got him by about 1 1/2 legnths...from a roll i would get him by about a bike or so....I was very satisfied with the 06 450 er...ran very well all weekend

I paid 6029.16 out the door for mine new.

Thanks guys....

Brad Preece

450ERRRRRR!
07-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Good for you ....now dont let him forget it. Now you need to open up the airbox and bumping up the main jet to abouta 170 and adding a slip on exhaust and you:ll be surprized a what a difference it makes. Then you"ll really smoke your buddy!

WVdude
07-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
Good for you ....now dont let him forget it. Now you need to open up the airbox and bumping up the main jet to abouta 170 and adding a slip on exhaust and you:ll be surprized a what a difference it makes. Then you"ll really smoke your buddy!

yours looks just like mine..
As a side note...there was a 700r up where we were yesterday and i was edging him by about half a bike or so..he had a gytr, and a fuel controller.

i was the better rider of the two though.....i have never had a run in with those before.....they are decently quick.

JKWGA400EX
07-24-2006, 11:31 AM
i seen a 700r raptor,06 yfz with slipon(i think,or full system),and 06 450r,all stock cept for the yfz i think it had a slipon.all stock tires good thread,and they were drag racing in the sand.start off,450r by about 2-3 quad then yfz and the raptor was in the dust.but off course when they went top speed the raptor won the yfz(the 450 didnt go that far)by about 3 quad lengths.that was at red river,im going there in about 2 weeks,first time in sand with it then,lets see how it does.

-jared

quadwunner
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by JKWGA400EX
i seen a 700r raptor,06 yfz with slipon(i think,or full system),and 06 450r,all stock cept for the yfz i think it had a slipon.all stock tires good thread,and they were drag racing in the sand.start off,450r by about 2-3 quad then yfz and the raptor was in the dust.but off course when they went top speed the raptor won the yfz(the 450 didnt go that far)by about 3 quad lengths.that was at red river,im going there in about 2 weeks,first time in sand with it then,lets see how it does.

-jared
Are you talkin about muenster?

JKWGA400EX
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
"Are you talkin about muenster?"

^^^^^what's that?^^^^^^

st8jacket
07-25-2006, 01:21 AM

Thanks,
Brad Preece
did ya take him over to Rolling Thunder drags...I ran there a few times..Beuriful country down your way...I'd move down there in a heart beat but my wife wont let me...

WVdude
07-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by st8jacket
did ya take him over to Rolling Thunder drags...I ran there a few times..Beuriful country down your way...I'd move down there in a heart beat but my wife wont let me... 0

No man, we went to a place called Virginia Energy. Its a reclaimed coal mine strip job. HUGE drag strip up there along with about 10 good hillclimbs.
There are about 300 ppl there on average every Sunday, provided the weather allows.
It is bar none the best place I have ever ridden. LOTS of sport quads, mud bogs for the utilities..you name it, its there.

If anyone on here reads this and is in my area, shoot me a pm if you are interested in coming.

y3llow400ex
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
i was suprised at how fast my 06 er was stock. i raced a friends 05 450r w/ hrc kit and a white bro slip on and i still got him by about 2 quads.

quadwunner
07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JKWGA400EX
"Are you talkin about muenster?"

^^^^^what's that?^^^^^^

"red river motorcycle trails" It is actually located in bulcher but muenster is the biggest town, so most people call it muenster. When You were talkin about drag racing on the red river it made me think that you were talkin about "muenster" Because, There is always people draaggin out there.