PDA

View Full Version : Sorry But............

tbrown86
07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
I want to first appoligize for the newbie question. I've done a search for this question but I still don't understand jetting. I'm having a problem with my 400ex not starting. I rode it for a while last night. Turned off the gas and let it run until it died. I went to load it in my truck this morning and it wouldnt start. I tried chokeing it, pumping the gas, letting it sit. I let it sit for a while and went and got my Honda manual.
The manual says to fully choke it, give it a little throttle, and cranking it over. I tried this but it still didnt work. I didnt have time to see if you plug was fouled but since I'm in town today, I'm going to go to Honda and get a couple. I hope this is what is making it not start. My real question is about my jetting. I'm not sure what jet its got in it. I bought it with a White Brothers E Series pipe and K&N filter. I assume that the previous owned jetted it accordingly. I live in Southwest Missouri,,, not sure on exact elevation,,, but what should my jetting be? Again sorry about the newbie question. Thanks, TYRELL

Choppers
07-21-2006, 09:22 AM
well first i would look at the plug to see if it is running lean or to rich. sounds to me like you are to lean but you may be to rich also. tell us what color the plug is then go from there.

swva400ex
07-21-2006, 09:23 AM
not trying to be a smart ***** but you did turn the gas back on right?

07-21-2006, 09:32 AM
does it have the a rev kit in it? if so, and you have the stock cdi, put the stock one back in. i havew posted sooooo amny times why this should be done that i don't wanna do it again.

also, the 400ex has a lean condition in the pilot jet. it comes witha 38 stock. i upped mine to a 42 and it is much easier to start. and i foul less plugs.

tbrown86
07-21-2006, 10:55 AM
yeah i turned the gas back on. i've made that mistake on other toys in the past. i just got back from honda and i got 3 new plugs. so i'm going to go home in a while and see if i get get her to hit. I'm pretty sure its got the stock CDI. What writing would be on the Stock CDI ie..... Honda,

tbrown86
07-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Whats the easiest way to get to the spark plug. I see that its kinda hard to get too. Removed the gas tank? How do you guys get to your plugs to change them ????

RiderTRX400ex
07-21-2006, 04:03 PM
you need the spark plug wrench that comes with it in the factory tool kit.. if you dont have it, buy one.. the spark plug is a pain in the arse to get out without that tool

zeppelin
07-21-2006, 06:08 PM
this thread should help you with most of your jetting questions, just pm me if you still need help though...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2382015#post2382015

tbrown86
07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Welp, I changed the Plug and the old 400 fired right up. Your right, it was a pain in the arse to get out with a regular socket. I will be investing in a 400ex tool kit. THanks for the help guys.

krt400ex
07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by swva400ex
not trying to be a smart ***** but you did turn the gas back on right?

:D