PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250 ex questions.

Honda4lyphe
07-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Today i just bought a brand new 2006 250 ex, well almost new. A guy traded it for a harly at the harly place, and last mourning i just sold my 2000 rancher 350 es. So my dad calls me and tells me about this 250ex, i was looking for a 400 ex, but i called the harly place and asked for the price. He wanted $2500 for it!! It blew my mind, it was a brand new bike, on the 1st tank of gas still. id say it got 10 minutes on it. Ive been browseing prices at my dealerships and it would cost $3600 for a brand new 250 ex. So i gave in, and bought it. I was a pretty lucky man yesterday, sold my atv and bought a new one all in 3 hours.

Alright heres where my questions start. So far i broke out the engine so its running great. So, the 1st time i started it and drove it it was so different, i had a 350 rancher for 6 years, this was just words above what i can think of. I thought a 250 ex wouldnt prove to have much power or speed, it goes atleast 55mph, i dont doubt it. Though, that still isnt fast enough for me ;). So my 1st question is, what should i do to make it faster besides a jet kit (dont really want to make it a gas guzzler, i go on long rides) remember, its 100% stock. I rode it in solider creek in Benton kentucky up to clarks river. It did really well, it just blasted through the creek. Heres where my 2nd question comes in. When im in the water and say i have to shift down, it just dies, same if i shift up. So what do i do? Hold the clutch and rev it while i shift? 3rd question. I do alot of creek and trail rideing, but i also go to race tracks for ramps. Is there anything i should do to it to make it ok for the creek and ramps? 4th question. My hand are bruised really bad from the grips, should i try to get new ones or try to get used to these (why i ask this is because some grips can affect how you ride, clutch wise belive it or not).

Thanks!

EDIT: (for the people who are helping on speed) how fast would you estimate it at stock? how fast would you estimate it after i put the parts you consider on it? (my friend is gettin one too, i want to be sure im faster.)

300exOH
07-21-2006, 08:22 AM
A good aftermarket pipe and proper jetting should help with the power a bit. You may want to try and put some dielectric grease on all electrical connections to help with creak crossings. I'm not really sure why it would stall when you shift though. The best thing you can do to make it jump/handle better is to get a good set of aftermarket shocks. Especially for the rear. The stock rear shock is a pogo stick. I had the same problem with sore hands using the stock grips. Some thicker ones like Oury's should help. Stock I would say the 250 will go between 50-55mph. You probably won't gain more than a couple mph's on the top end with mods but it will get to it's top speed much quicker.

BlasterEaten250
07-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I used to have a trail tech speedometer on mine and couldnt get it past 50 mph. If you want to improve topspeed, get a big gun revlimiter, it raises the revs 1500 rpm's i believe. People like the HMF exhuast system, but be warned, it is loud if you don't have a quiet core. I would also reccemend a new air filter. K&N will give a tad bit more power of the two, but you can't be lazy in cleaning it, while a uni airfilter is a little better than stock in power, it's not as much as a K&N (not a big difference though), the nice thing about the uni is you dont have to clean it as offend. I personally have the K&N and as long as you clean it a lot, it's great and I never find any dust inside my airboot or carb. If you would like to spend a lot of money, www.powroll.com makes a big bore kit (really brings it to a true 250cc, it adds 20cc to stock) and I hear that is very good on power. Webcam also makes an aftermarket cam, but the cam in the 250 is at the bottom of the motor, so it is very hard to get to and could get very expensive in labor.

I don't blame you for wanting suspension already:o If you would like to go the cheaper way, Works makes shocks for the front and I think they make a shock for the back now. Elka also makes shocks for the front and back, but is more expensive. Aftermarket shocks will increase your suspension travel, along with increasing ride control. They are also rebuildable. If you want maximum performence from the suspension, you can get hermann or american star racing a-arms. You can wider than stock a-arms from those companies, which makes it more stable, I would only get aftermarket a-arms with new shocks though.

Another thing you might want to look at in the near future is tires. Yours are probably fine right now, but when they are worn new ones are great. If you are worried about top speed, then stay with stock 22 inch size. I love my Maxxis Razr's, they are wearing a little fast, but I have put a lot of miles on them. My friend has 22 inch Kenda Klaws on his 250ex, and he loves them too, the only thing about the Klaws is that they rub against the tire a lot more than the Maxxis Razr's do.

Good luck!:)

450ERRRRRR!
07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
We got an 05 and here's what I did to our's. I took the airbox lid off and added 6 uni-vent and replaced the stock filter with a uni-filter. I tryed several main jets and a 112 seems right and a 42 pilot. Last I added a whitebrother slip on exhaust and it sure sounds alot better! I love this 250ex. Here's one of my daughter and her dog on her 250ex.

Ryanwolfe911
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Stupid question, but why would you sell a nice 350 rancher and buy a 250ex? If I new you wanted to do that, I would have traded you 2, 250ex's for your rancher, provided it was 4WD

Honda4lyphe
07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Ryanwolfe911
Stupid question, but why would you sell a nice 350 rancher and buy a 250ex? If I new you wanted to do that, I would have traded you 2, 250ex's for your rancher, provided it was 4WD

It was a year 2000, i only got $2300 off of it. And remember, what i really wanted to do is buy a 400 ex, but this 250 ex was brand new..couldnt resist ;)

EDIT: It was 2 wheel drive, and runned great. Not too many people looking for them around here though.

Also, think i should buy some nerfs?

And thanks for the infromation :)

Rider-trx_250ex
07-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Here's what's gonna be done to mine in the next couple of days. I already have the megamax.
-Outerwears Airbox Cover
-Jetted
-Uni or Twin Air Air Filter

It may eat up a lil more gas but there will be a noticable power difference.

Honda4lyphe
07-21-2006, 11:58 AM
How many miles to the gallon would it be if i did get a jet kit? Ive done more research on the 400 ex lol..

Rider-trx_250ex
07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
How many miles to the gallon would it be if i did get a jet kit? Ive done more research on the 400 ex lol..

A jet kit is not something that you do to the engine. You jet the engine. A jet kit is a kit that comes with different size jets. And if you wanted to know how many mpg you got that would depend on the size of the jets you used. Don't waste your money on one. Just go to the local dealer that sells mikuni jets and buy them seperate.

firefighterjosh
07-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I would try to sell the 250ex for 3k then go buy a nice 400 for around 3,000 - 3500. Just my .02

Honda4lyphe
07-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Im on the verge of selling it, just isnt fast enough. I'll have to think about it though.

Honda4lyphe
07-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I accidently skipped your post earlier blaster, very good infomation. I'll look into it, thanks.