PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my life???

enduro400rider
07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
well im about to be a junior in high school, and the last few years i basically just slacked off and didnt do to much work, i got through with Ds,Cs,Bs. now that im about to be a junior i kinda decided i should straighten up and work hard these last 2 years since they are the most important (from what im told). Now i guess im not stupid (also from what im told) i score high on State tests like above average in the academic area. people say i just dont aply myself, which i really dont, im lazy and i know it but i want to change. I was originally planing on going to a Technical School my last 2 years of high school, but i changed my mind. i was going to go for Auto Mechanics. im really interested in motors and cars ect. i know my way around the garage pretty well, i have rebuilt a few motors and have done quite a bit of work but im not sure if thats really what i want to do for the rest of my life. i have talked to people and they tell me two differant things, some say machanics make good money, some say they dont. does anyone have any careers to suggest? something ware i can be creative but not have alot of stress. I just need some ideas to look into since i only have 2 years to decide what kind of feild i want to go into.

300exOH
07-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Mechanics make okay money at best and it's hard work. It can be stressful too and once you are a mechanic there isn't much room for advancement except maybe chief mechanic. I would suggest trying mechanical design/engineering. Then you can be creative and still work with engines if you want to specialize.

Pappy
07-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Maybe give the military a thought.....

Lots of call for a good mechanical background and the technology is growing every day. My brother was in, worked on Cobra's, got out after 12 years and now works for lockheed martin making big bucks.

enduro400rider
07-20-2006, 10:45 PM
i have thought about some type of engineering but that takes alot of math, which really isnt my strong side but i guess i still have 2 yrs of HS left to study and get better, thats what i had planned on shooting for but i wasnt sure if there was something else out there to look into.

enduro400rider
07-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Maybe give the military a thought.....

Lots of call for a good mechanical background and the technology is growing every day. My brother was in, worked on Cobra's, got out after 12 years and now works for lockheed martin making big bucks.

ehhh. im not gonna lie im a baby so the army is out, i dont have anything against it but i dont think i could do it. all the training ect. i would die before i accually made it in, plus i dont think they would take me anyway cuz i had problems with my lungs as a baby.

300exOH
07-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
i have thought about some type of engineering but that takes alot of math, which really isnt my strong side but i guess i still have 2 yrs of HS left to study and get better, thats what i had planned on shooting for but i wasnt sure if there was something else out there to look into.

True it does take a bunch of math but it's really not that bad. A friend of mine wasn't very good at math in high school but he ended up taking construction technology(lots of math) in college and he did fine. He's now earning a nice fat paycheck and living in a HUGE house so it can be done if you're willing to work for it.

Mx_523
07-20-2006, 11:10 PM
well im about to be a junior in high school, and the last few years i basically just slacked off and didnt do to much work, i got through with Ds,Cs,Bs. now that im about to be a junior i kinda decided i should straighten up and work hard these last 2 years since they are the most important (from what im told). Now i guess im not stupid (also from what im told) i score high on State tests like above average in the academic area. people say i just dont aply myself, which i really dont, im lazy and i know it but i want to change. I was originally planing on going to a Technical School my last 2 years of high school, but i changed my mind. i was going to go for Auto Mechanics. im really interested in motors and cars ect. i know my way around the garage pretty well, i have rebuilt a few motors and have done quite a bit of work but im not sure if thats really what i want to do for the rest of my life. i have talked to people and they tell me two differant things, some say machanics make good money, some say they dont. does anyone have any careers to suggest? something ware i can be creative but not have alot of stress. I just need some ideas to look into since i only have 2 years to decide what kind of feild i want to go into.

You just stated the my freshman and sophmore years. I'm doing the same exact thing. Small world after all I guess.
I was thinking about joining the army and being a mechanic in there or some type of job around engines and such. Then take off from there.

IOWAracer
07-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Me too i did the same damn thing and i wish i hadent im an easy top 5 student if i aply myself i did the last quarter of this year and i ended up with all A's and moved form like 31st to 13th i think in class rank after just aplying my self for the last quarter...I have all of my possible credits that you can have goin into your junior year. I am now goin to a tech school for half a day taking a machining class i have a English class and a History class one a day for first block then i hop ont he bus and go into the city for my tech class....one of my best friends took the same tech class and he is now making 21.50 an hour working as a cnc machienst great pay and easy easy work think about that...every big manufacturing company needs a machinest!! I cant wait to get out of school and get a job ive got my future planned and im sticking to it!

broc

red2004 TRX450R
07-21-2006, 11:12 AM
high school and college all totally different. I slacked off so much in high school doing stupid things. I was ranked 94 out of 99. (on the bad end) One shrinks test told me i was a retard and the other one told me i was a genius.

I now have 2 collage degrees.
just get into something you are interested in and that will give you the drive to succeed.

I was going to go to whyotech but i did not want to get stuck working on peoples junk cars all my life. My friend went there and now he works on custom rods. you can do any thing, you have to work hard and go out and find it. its not just going to happen by chance.

friend driving rod he help build
http://www.alteredgas.com/pics/albums/upload/fd-06242006/fd062406_IMG_1765.jpg

enduro400rider
07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
i thought about going to wyotech, but its pretty expensive. i heard its like $24,000 a year. i just dont want to spend that and then end up being some Sears mechanic making no money working on junk cars all day. i want to be a machanic but i have thought about the possiblilities and the chance are pretty slim that i would find a job working for someone like boyd cottington or chip foose. so i have basically given up on the machinc job. i will just do it as a hobby in my spare time. i think im just going to look into engineering for now and see what kind of engineering feild i want to be in.

quadsquadron221
07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
You should consider becoming a professional student. Its pretty fun. No but really dont worry about it too much. Just go to college you will probably change your major at least a couple times. Most people do. This is my sixth year of undergrad and my 3rd degree. At college you will make connections and meet people and jobs and oppertunities will open up all over the place.

Cody_300ex
07-21-2006, 02:41 PM
i thought about going to wyotech, but its pretty expensive. i heard its like $24,000 a year. i just dont want to spend that and then end up being some Sears mechanic making no money working on junk cars all day. i want to be a machanic but i have thought about the possiblilities and the chance are pretty slim that i would find a job working for someone like boyd cottington or chip foose. so i have basically given up on the machinc job. i will just do it as a hobby in my spare time. i think im just going to look into engineering for now and see what kind of engineering feild i want to be in.

I have two friends that went to wyotech, cost 28,000 not including housing, food, ect. One went for Chassis Fab and High Performance Motors, and the other went for Auto body. The first one is workin at a local mechanics shop makin 7.50 an hour, and the other is workin doing carpentry. I would suggest Lincoln tech in Indy or MMI.

bwamos
07-22-2006, 11:36 AM
ehhh. im not gonna lie im a baby so the army is out, i dont have anything against it but i dont think i could do it. all the training ect. i would die before i accually made it in, plus i dont think they would take me anyway cuz i had problems with my lungs as a baby.

Work your *** off this year and next. Get to a 3.0+ average.

Take the ASVAB and then join the Air Force.

Air Force is one of the only branches of the military that doesn't require to you train for combat if you're not specializing in a combat role.

If you're going in purely as a mechanic, office work, dentist, band, etc.. you don't usually have to combat train as much as one would in the Marines, Army, Navy, etc..

Besides Air Force gives you the best opportunity to make good money when your service is up. (Navy too, but bad lungs + ship = not good. ;))

Also, you're much much less likley to ever see any close range combat. ;) But, you are still providing your country an invaluable service.

Also, the Airforce is also probably the best at getting you that college degree that they all "promise". :D