PDA

View Full Version : 300EX rebuild questions and suggestions. Need Help!!

Stock98EX
08-20-2002, 08:32 AM
Ok, about 2 months ago I did my first rebuild on a 300EX. I have to say I was proud of myself. It went smooth, it started and ran great. Now it has about 25 hours on it and it started smoking bad. I mean real bad. I tore it back down and seen that the rings look worn on one side. It looks to me like maybe the cylinder is out round. I didn't check the bore roundness. I guess that was one rookie mistake. Now, I just put the piston in it. The rings are shot. If I get the cylinder bored to get it back into round. Can I use the stock bore piston as long as I dont get it bored to big? Wiseco only sells .20 and .40 overbore pistons. If I get it bored will I have to use one of those sizes? Or can I use a stock bore if I only go .10 over to true it up. I know its a lot of questions but I need help on this.

not2hi
08-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Wiseco makes .02, .04, .06 & .08 over pistons.
Pro-X makes .01, .02, .03, .04 & .08 over pistons
Honda makes .01, .02, .03 & .04 over pistons

Rumor has it you can bore a stock 300EX sleeve out to .12 over before you'll need to resleeve.

I just ordered a Pro-x .02 over piston from Dennis Kirk. Buy a new piston and send the piston and cylinder to a machine shop and have them bore and hone it to match the new piston. Local shop here charges $45 on a clean head (no gaskets or pins).

You'll be golden...