PDA

View Full Version : looking into getting an r

250x_kyle
07-20-2006, 03:07 PM
i currently have an 02 400ex with some minor moddifications. im thinken about getting a modded 250r because there is nothing like an r from what ive heard and seen. so is there anything that i should look out for when purchasing an r. and what year is the best year to buy

iamjasyn
07-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
i currently have an 02 400ex with some minor moddifications. im thinken about getting a modded 250r because there is nothing like an r from what ive heard and seen. so is there anything that i should look out for when purchasing an r. and what year is the best year to buy

that 400 and a 250r are completely different animals. To make matters worse, the R being a 2stroke is so modifiable, that the difference between a modded 2stroke and a stock one can be hugely different too.

First, I personally think the best years are the 88-89. They have a shorter swingarm for easier MX style handling which I like. I like the looks of them a little better too - stock form that is. Some people like the 86 though because of it's beefier, albeit heavier frame and short rod motor.

Second, beyond what year is best, you probably need to decide how modified you want your R to be. To know this you need to know what type of riding you like and are capable of. I have 2R's one is a ported 270 with some go fast bolt ons and suspension. It is VERY different from my completely stock 89. The 89 is super smooth and easy to ride. No hit in the motor. You could put your girlfriend on it provided she didn't wick the throttle too hard. The 88 of mine has scared some experienced riders. It's just a violent engine with a twist throttle and the 0 preload suspension takes some getting used to. It's also way more capable of a ride though.

Lastly, look for cracks in the frame. Ask if it's been welded, raced, crashed. How many owners have had it before you. Ask what he did for maintenance, what the porting, if any is like. See how intelligent of answers the guy gives you. If he's the 20th owner and doesn't know his *** from the R itself, you may want to pass. If he's the 1st or 3rd and knows the exact condition of hte quad, you're probably going to waste less money fixing serious issues.

If you're riding a 400ex, and yoru budget isn't too tight, I'd say get a stockish 88 or 89 from an adult owner and mod it how you like it as you go along.

250x_kyle
07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
lol it will be a mean r when im done with it

trick250r
07-21-2006, 12:16 PM
my old '86 had a 310 kit in it. make sure you can hold on tight... it was scary fast :cool:

ThorR88
07-24-2006, 01:55 PM
i had a 400ex that was fully mx ready and i traded it for a full mx 310R and it was the best damn trade i have ever made!Trick250r is right you better hold on!!:devil:

TampaBoy813
07-24-2006, 05:41 PM
mine in the sig in 4sale....