PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Scam?

Jonesy
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Confirm Your Account!

Dear jonesy_atv@fuse.net ,

Our taxes for sending and receiving money were recalculated.PayPal must repay 4823 members including you the amount of 186.89$ .You will receive this amount of money when you will first send or receive money through PayPal. Please confirm your account,this way,the process will be considered valid.Click the link below and enter your information on the following page to confirm your account.

You can also confirm your account by logging into your PayPal account at http://paypal.info-a-time.us Click on the "Confirm account" link in the Activate Account box and then enter this confirmation number: ##########

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

I just recieved this email today from paypal and I am kinda leary of it. I click on the link provided and it takes me to paypals website where I am prompted to log in then to fill out my basic information and my credit card information to verify my identity. The thing that spooks me is that once I log in the url bar shows this address 168.243.215.140/us/webscr.php?cmd=Validate and not seeing paypal.com in there has me worried. Scam or not?

Thanks
Jonesy

quadsquadron221
07-20-2006, 03:05 PM
scam

PismoLocal
07-20-2006, 03:32 PM
For sure a scam look at the address bar its not even the paypal website.

Ralph
07-20-2006, 03:42 PM
change your paypal pass right now!!!

if you gave any sort of credit card info on that page freeze the card. Also you wanna report the site to paypal. Whenever you get an email from paypal tell you to do something ignore any links in the email and type paypal.com in your browser and if it is real they will notify you of whatever the email said after you log in.

Jonesy
07-20-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks, I changed my password and fowarded the email to paypals security center.

Guy400
07-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I got a similar BS email stating my account has been violated. They want me to click on a link and enter my information.

Information Regarding Your account:
Dear PayPal Member!

Attention! Your PayPal account has been violated!

Someone with ip address 70.184.251.42 tried to access your personal account!

Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away. You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click here to activate your account

You can also confirm your email address by logging into your PayPal account at
http://www.paypal.com/ Click on the "Confirm email" link in the Activate Account box and then enter this confirmation number: 1099-81971-4441-9833-3990

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

660Grizz04
07-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I got something like that before, i forwarded it to paypal, the real one ... and they said it was pretty normal, i asked them what they could do and they said nothing ...

midnight
07-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Its a scam.I just went through and lost about $900.I got an e-mail kind of like that but it wanted me to update my accout.Well....when I did that someone got my bank account and debit card number.The bank said what happens is these people make the page to look like its from paypal but its not and like me and many other people I didnt think anything of it and just updated it.So yeah,I would definitly say its a scam.

Pappy
07-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by midnight
Its a scam.I just went through and lost about $900.I got an e-mail kind of like that but it wanted me to update my accout.Well....when I did that someone got my bank account and debit card number.The bank said what happens is these people make the page to look like its from paypal but its not and like me and many other people I didnt think anything of it and just updated it.So yeah,I would definitly say its a scam.

I recieved an email that sounds like yours, I forwarded it to paypal, changed my password and emptied my account.

b440ex
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Scam Scam Scam Bank just confirmed it. Don't click the link. Never give out your pin.

Aceman
07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't understand why people keep falling for these scams.:confused: NEVER NEVER NEVER change account information unless you actually typed in www.paypal.com and did it that way. I sure as hell ain't going to update my account through an email link somebody sent me. I'm almost positive if you went to the Paypal home page, logged in to your account, it would stop you and say "please update account" if it really needed updating. If you get suspicious email send it to Paypal and let them figure out if it's real or not.:ermm:

250R-Dee
07-21-2006, 02:35 AM
Paypal is a verisign certified secure sight. Make sure S is a part of the http. The actual paypal address is https://www.paypal.com . There should be a yellow security lock at the bottom of the page when you acces the site.

Hornbreaker
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't even have a pay=pal account. I get the same e-mail twice a month. I just send them to spoof@paypal.com with a very naste letter each time. They do nothing for you at all. Where is the security they say they have? I think It's someone inside ebay or paypal that is selling address to the THIEFS!.

crday98
07-22-2006, 08:13 PM
paypal will never send hyperlinks in emails asking you to log into or update your account period!

Ralph
07-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Hornbreaker
I don't even have a pay=pal account. I get the same e-mail twice a month. I just send them to spoof@paypal.com with a very naste letter each time. They do nothing for you at all. Where is the security they say they have? I think It's someone inside ebay or paypal that is selling address to the THIEFS!.

lol, that makes no sense, u just said u dont have paypal, so that means no one bought ur email since u dont have an account which also means no one is selling the address'. They have robots and other methods to sift through the internet collecting info. Finding an email address and then more info. Thats why u get spam emails with even your name in it. Paypal can do nothing about someone sending and email to you. I personaly believe anyone who falls for that is just dumb.

Paypal reminds us non stop not to click on links to go to their site. If you every get an email that has anything to do with paypal just delete it and then type https://www.paypal.com, log in through there and look for any messages.