PDA

View Full Version : over oiling foam filter??

RRP
07-20-2006, 02:05 PM
I put a uni filter on my yfz450.The filter directions said to saturate it with filter oil inside and out,I did.It said to work it in and squeeze out the excess,I did that,The blot with paper towels.I did all the above but that little clear tube on the bottom of my air box filled up with oil after it sat overnight.I took the filter back out and blotted off some more,but I am still getting oil in that tube.Whats the proper way to oil a foam filter.I assume I put too much on it,if its running off.

GPracer2500
07-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Your doing it right. You saturate the filter and then squeeze out as much as you can. I don't care for UNI filter oil--love the filters, just not the oil. I've found that it does drip out of the filter especially in really hot temperatures.

Try Bel-Ray's filter oil. It doesn't drip out and is noticably more tacky. I like it the best out of the various filter oils I've tried.

RRP
07-20-2006, 06:18 PM
thanks I am using Klotz.I"ll give bel-ray a try.Its been quite hot here lately,just didn't think that would be doing it.

250r4life
07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
yah you want the foam filters good and oiled- thats what'll let them breathe and work properly...

and just take out that tube and drain in periodically, but what gp said, you might want to get some tackier oil...

firefighterjosh
07-21-2006, 12:27 PM
I love klotz, but that Bel ray is the stickiest crap i have ever used and it is very hard to get out when cleaning.

GPracer2500
07-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I love klotz, but that Bel ray is the stickiest crap i have ever used and it is very hard to get out when cleaning.

It's also a biatch to get off your hands! I still like it though....:cool:

Choppers
07-21-2006, 07:21 PM
I use the PJ1 stuff. It's like 6.99. Seems to be good here with our florida temps as high as they are and yes its hard to get it off your hands.

d3ktrix
08-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Choppers
I use the PJ1 stuff. It's like 6.99. Seems to be good here with our florida temps as high as they are and yes its hard to get it off your hands.

Ditto, spray can is handy. Stuff is super tacky too, I have never seen it run off.

Though I don't spray the inside of my filter. I put the filter onto the metal housing, spray an even coat on the outside of the filter then rub/squeeze it in with my hand.