PDA

View Full Version : Is getting your bike professionally jetted worth it?

awsomeaussies
07-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Just wondering.... my cousin sent his 2006 YZF dirtbike to JD Jetting, which is locally and he said that they did a great job! But is it worth taking it to a "pro" or doing it yourself. I've never missed with the jetting before, so I'm kinda afraid I'll mess something up. I would think they would have all kinds of dygnostic testing and what not to get it dead on, but not sure if it's worth it.

250r4life
07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
i guess it depends on how mechanically inclined you are, what all you are going to alter to need the jetting changed, and how bad you want your bike "spot on"

GPracer2500
07-19-2006, 10:58 PM
If your local tuner has a dyno, then go for it--especially if the dynamometer is equiped with air/fuel measuring. That's pretty much the best tool there is for dialing in your carb. As far as just doing it yourself, I like that route too! If you ride bikes and quads long enough you certainly want to learn know how to jet. You don't want to just hand your bike to a tuner and then be lost when you need to make a change because of weather, riding location, or mods. They way I see it, it's not really an either or deal. Have your bike tuned on a dyno AND learn how to jet yourself. That's my take.

DON'T just take your quad to the stealership for that kind of work though. Go to a tuning shop. You either need a dyno or need to ride the bike to dial in jetting. In my experience, most mechanics in most service departments don't have a place to do that so they just make their best guess or maybe use a lambda sensor with the bike stationary. You've got to put the engine under load to be sure it's right....

awsomeaussies
07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the help! It's not a dealership, they just do jetting;) My cousin is actually a motorcycle machanic, but he still took his bike there:confused: But that's the thing, I don't want to have to pay for something, and then when I add some more mods to it later have to take it back again.

GPracer2500
07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
BTW, James Dean does have a very good reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to have his place jet my bike. I figure anyone who manufactures their own jet needles must know what they're doing....:)

bwamos
07-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Try jetting it yourself.
If you jsut cant quite get it right, take it to them.

Then you can learn, what you were doing vs. whay you actually need.

Kind of like seeing the answers after taking the test. ;)

250r4life
07-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
BTW, James Dean does have a very good reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to have his place jet my bike. I figure anyone who manufactures their own jet needles must know what they're doing....:)

what do you know GP- you live in Arizona!!! :D