PDA

View Full Version : First time racer, any tips?

Honda2000
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I am going to be racing for the first time on friday night at our county fair. It is going to be pretty much an Mx track. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or any helpful tips to help me race better. THanks

Pappy
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Ride your own race, just finishing is good for your first one:p

Good luck!

chaz#32
07-20-2006, 12:26 AM
hit all the jumps and don't be scared just go for it cause its when u get scared and back off that you'll wreck...hope this helps.

firefighterjosh
07-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Can you practice the track first? If you can't practice it try walking the track and scoping everything out. On my first race I just wanted to finish. Now My goal is not to finish last...lol.

red4r
07-20-2006, 12:55 AM
like pappy said ride your own race...dont try to push it to hard... my first race i pushed to hard and crashed out...so just ride smooth

chaz#32
07-20-2006, 01:00 AM
no i'd say wear protective gear and go for it. you ain't gana win if you take it easy thats for practice:)

firefighterjosh
07-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by chaz#32
no i'd say wear protective gear and go for it. you ain't gana win if you take it easy thats for practice:)

Winning is great but it takes some time.

I rode my race my first race and got 5th. I was passing all the guys that just go out there balls out, when they crashed. On like my 3rd race I decided to go as fast as I could cuz I wanted to win. I was sitting in 5th place ready to pass 4th and 3rd. Well I wasn't patent enough and ending up breaking my shoulder.

Just go have fun, be patient and you will win a race in the near future.

Honda2000
07-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all of the tips, i don't know if we will be able to practice or not i guess i will have to see. Thanks again

Honda2000
07-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Well i finished last in my heat of four. The idiots must of never ran atv races because they only had 2 classes, intermediate and novice. Of course i was in the novice. the track was barely wide enough for two atvs. i didn't even have a slight chance in my race. there was a 250r punched out to i beleive around 270cc, a raptor 700, and a banshee. I have a 400ex with a hotcam stage two. It was a lot of fun but i wish i could of been in a heat with other 400's.

adrenalinefreak
07-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Keep wishing for the racing with only other 400's. I also ride a 400ex, you just have to be the better rider. Rider ability is a huge part of the race.

I actually like lining up to a bunch of 450s in my class and it's a good thing because that is all there is! Nothing better than a 400 beating a 450.... ;)

But if you come across a race for strickly 400s let me know!

adrenalinefreak
07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
forgot to mention it was your first race which is cool and you finished which is something to be proud of!

Congrats...are you hooked yet?

firefighterjosh
07-24-2006, 09:08 PM
I am hooked and I always finish in the last half the field. I am just trying to be patienent. I have made a track at my grandmas woods and hopefully with some hard work this summer I can kick but next year:D

Phills450r
07-25-2006, 12:09 AM
DO NOT OVER RIDE YOURSELF...

I did this because I was riding with 2 "national" riders and I was in second place and was so tired I didn't tap the throttle at the tip of a double and nose dived and didn't get to finish :/ instead I was hauled off in an ambulance

Rossco307
07-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Use what you learn to grow. Don’t push your limits, for one cause you don’t really know what your limits are. Learn to relax and time your self. Not time your laps or others but create a rhythm or grove, and get comfortable. If you can find more advanced riders and play the classic game of keep-up and a safe speed for your abilities then take that opportunity. Over time you will get faster, promise. Practice, Practice, Practice. Every racer I have raced against had to start somewhere. Some have that natural nac, others earned it with trial and error. Don’t hesitate, hesitation cause's fear and fear hurts. The classic saying of no guts no glory is somewhat true, but learn who you are and most of all what your capable of. You can build the baddest machine ever made but what’s the use if you cant ride it. Find your weaknesses and eliminate them one at a time, no factory or pro rider was made over night, infact in a year. Most of all...Have fun, race your own race.. and be safe. Be a sponge use others knowledge to enforce your own, racing isn’t a sport its a dance, a rhythm you must learn to comprehend and apply. Know your surroundings, be able to react yet anticipate.

03400EX_Nacs
07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by chaz#32
hit all the jumps and don't be scared just go for it cause its when u get scared and back off that you'll wreck...hope this helps.
lmao i think you were headed the right direction. but i wouldnt recommend hitting everything....