PDA

View Full Version : Good Laptop? Looking for Performance.

Ralph
07-19-2006, 06:31 PM
How does this sound for a laptop and is it a great price: >$650

Acer’s Aspire With AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology.

Specifications:

Operating Systems: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

Platform Learn More: Notebook PC

Expansion Ports: 1 - Type I/II PC Card Slot

Processor Brand: AMD

Processor Class: Turion 64 ML-32

Processor Speed: 1.8Ghz

Memory Type: DDR333

Memory Size : 512MB (256MB x 2)

Memory Speed: DDR333 (PC2700)

Memory Slots (Total): 2

Memory Slots (Available): 0

Capacity: 60GB

Optical Drive Type : CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Graphics Description: Integrated Graphics

GPU/VPU: SiSM760GX chipset with integrated Mirage™2 graphics

Communications Description : Integrated Modem
Integrated LAN
Integrated Wireless LAN

Interface Type : Acer InviLink 802.11b/g wireless LAN
RJ-11 Phone Connector
RJ-45 Ethernet Connector

Width : 14.3"

Height : 1.5”

Depth : 11.0"

Weight 6.2 lbs

Display Type: WXGA TFT LCD with Crystal Bright Technology

Viewable Screen Size: 15.4"

It would also be really cheap to put more memory in it also. and all this goes for less than 650

FasstMidnightZ
07-19-2006, 09:05 PM
What uses are you using for it? Sounds pretty good to me. My opion would be to build a desktop if you don't need a Laptop for moving it and what not. Some things I would change would be the processor to a AMD 64 3200+ with a Venice core. Or, DDr 400 (3200). And, Of coure the memory which is a given. Looks good besides that. ;)

Ralph
07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by bomb_squad
What uses are you using for it? Sounds pretty good to me. My opion would be to build a desktop if you don't need a Laptop for moving it and what not. Some things I would change would be the processor to a AMD 64 3200+ with a Venice core. Or, DDr 400 (3200). And, Of coure the memory which is a given. Looks good besides that. ;)

I cant order it any diff. Ill just be using it for minor photoshoping, (making thumbnails and resizing images) and macromedia dreamweaver. Its just gonna be so i can be a little more mobile. I already have a really nice desktop.

FasstMidnightZ
07-20-2006, 03:20 PM
That sounds good then ;) Just a litte more memory. Nice choice

Ralph
07-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by bomb_squad
That sounds good then ;) Just a litte more memory. Nice choice

I orderd a gig extra so il have 1 gig in one slot and 256 in the other. I also got a nice wireless router that was $5 after the 95 dollar rebate.

XCAdam89
07-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure about Acer's quality, I've always thought they were cheap school computers.. :confused:

I'd look into a dell. We just got one for my sister for college, and it seems very versatile. The Mid-Quality Inspiron notebooks seem to be a student favorite. Plus, they have a great warranty.

Ralph
07-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
I'm not sure about Acer's quality, I've always thought they were cheap school computers.. :confused:

I'd look into a dell. We just got one for my sister for college, and it seems very versatile. The Mid-Quality Inspiron notebooks seem to be a student favorite. Plus, they have a great warranty.

ive read great things about acer and the price was unbeatable

XCAdam89
07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, They worked great at school. I just hadn't read up on their quality, and first impressions told me if school could afford them, they must suck

250RXCrider
07-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Acer makes a very inexpensive low end laptop. The quality of the product will more then likely be OK, but make sure that you buy it from a company that can provide you service and support. I would also check to see what the warranty length is, most laptops are coming with three year warranties. Good Luck.

FasstMidnightZ
07-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
ive read great things about acer and the price was unbeatable You are correct Ralph. As for the person who said to get a Dell. I've had experience with a Dell before. And, well it basically sucked from the get go. Dell seems to only give low prices for cheap crap computers. As for Acer they give a respectably low price for good quality. And, also make high end equipment. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115226 Acer is just not another "school laptop" brand.

jvd182
07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
u cant put 1 gig in one slot and 256 in another it wont work togther, im pretty sure

FasstMidnightZ
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
:rolleyes: Yes it will, you can even have to different brands. But, Having 2 sticks of one brand is better beacuse for every brand it makes sorta like a space for it..kinda hard to explain..but, yes, yes you can...Now it is also better to have one big stick instead of more smaller sticks. It doesn't have to store info in different sticks and find each thing..were only talking seconds though. :D But, if you want it to be fast as possible like me..then is great. Clear things up?

Ralph
07-20-2006, 11:51 PM
even with just one gig stick of ram it will be fine.