PDA

View Full Version : Chain>>>>>how Much Hp

buck naked-r
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
is it true that a non-o-ring chain gaves more power?

i notice that almost all high performance dirtbikes come with non-o-ring chain.

WheelieMan4
07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
ive never heard that really, but when I think about it, everyone that gets a new chain usually gets an X-ring chain..:ermm:

GPracer2500
07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
A like new condition non-O-ring chain has less friction with which to burden the engine vs. an O or X-ring chain. If you flip a non-O-ring chain like a whip it's going to move more freely than an O-ring chain. This can show up on a dyno as a measurable change in HP. But we're talking a tiny little change. And if you use a very high quality O or X ring chain with very low friction (such as a DID ERV3 or 2) than you might cut that difference down to an amount that cannot be easily measured on a dyno.

Once a non-O-ring chain starts to wear out than all bets are off...

zeppelin
07-19-2006, 06:10 PM
im pretty sure you loose hp, the factory guys mx use regulaer cahins because it is less rotating mass for the motor to have to turn...

the only advantage of o-ring chains is that they last longer

buck naked-r
07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
heres 2 o-ring and 1 non-o-ring.....can you tell which is which

250r4life
07-19-2006, 10:47 PM
not with that crappy pic

Wildbrain
07-20-2006, 01:46 AM
I can't even tell what kind of magazine they are on.

firefighterjosh
07-20-2006, 02:03 AM
I never buy O - Ring chains. If you keep them clean and lube them they will last just as long. Atleast with the terrain I ride in. Mainly dusty, fields, and some woods with a little mud. I ussually never go through huge mud pits unless I am racing.

86 Quad R
07-20-2006, 06:32 AM
non o-ring chain here. keep them clean and lubed and they last just as long as a o-ring. :cool:

underpowered
07-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
non o-ring chain here. keep them clean and lubed and they last just as long as a o-ring. :cool:

alright, how long does a chain usually last you?

an O-ring or X-ring chain has many advantages over a non-o ring chain. it WILL last longer than a standard chain, requires less maintenance, and one Huge factor is strength. the tensile strength on an o-ring chian is usually much higher than that of a non o-ring chain. there is really not much reason not to run an O-ring chain.

as far as power, yes a standard chain will give you a slight power increase over an o-ring chain due to the lower drag adn less rotating mass. but this is only a very minute difference and you probably would not be able to tell by riding it, it would would only really be noticable on a dyno.

86 Quad R
07-20-2006, 07:34 AM
i ran a o-ring and/or x-ring chain for years with sunstar sprockets and would get at least 12-16 months out of them(still having life in them i donate the chain to the kids blaster). mind you, i ride the creeks ALOT.

last spring i switched to non o-ring chain and started using renthal sprockets(only a few more dollars than sunstar and last much much longer) which balances out due to the money i save on non o-ring versus o-ring chain and have done some HARD riding and i feel that i may not need to change it until next spring. this averages out somewhere near 8 months added life due to the better quality of sprocket. idividual results may vary
:blah:

i previously mentioned that i frequent the creeks. lotsa sand, rocks and occasional mud. just an obsevation but, that seemed to eat away at the o-rings and ultimately loosing a few. when this happens the chain gets a helluva lotta UNeccessery slack ='s wear to the chain, widely open areas to let grit in, causing premature wear. resulting in worn sprockets and eventually leads to jumped or BROKEN chains. when your 10 miles in the middle of nowhere you dont need this. "i dont care who ya are", that aint FUNNY.

oh yea en i can actually notice a difference in "seat of the pants" torque. :cool:

here is a better pic for ya buck naked
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p34d6b9654a1a937c319a5b49a311de0f/edeb7086.jpg

buck naked-r
07-20-2006, 11:58 AM
i took some better pic today..........

buck naked-r
07-20-2006, 11:59 AM
making shapes is easy with the o-ring one

buck naked-r
07-20-2006, 12:01 PM
i guess i can see how you may get alittle more power out of the non-o-ring

buck naked-r
07-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Wildbrain
I can't even tell what kind of magazine they are on.
i was holding that mag up behind the chains.....to try and get a better shot.....the room was dark

buck naked-r
07-20-2006, 07:22 PM
[*******.net] has it

firefighterjosh
07-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Why would a Oring have more strength?

buck naked-r
07-21-2006, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Why would a Oring have more strength? [/
QUOTE]

it looks stronger,i don't know if it is stronger

1fst400
07-21-2006, 10:17 PM
as for me I run an x-ring chain. Lube it up and call it good for the week. One less thing to wory about. when I see it start to bind, spray on some more lube. when lube doesent work any more. buy new chain. works for me.

Chino886
07-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
as for me I run an x-ring chain. Lube it up and call it good for the week. One less thing to wory about. when I see it start to bind, spray on some more lube. when lube doesent work any more. buy new chain. works for me.

What he said......

Two things I do every ride....

1. Clean filter

2. Lube chain

:macho

buck naked-r
07-22-2006, 07:59 AM
What is a X-RING chain?

GPracer2500
07-22-2006, 10:31 AM
An X-ring is an o-ring that has a cross-section shaped like an X instead of a circle. X-rings seal better and produce lower friction as the chain articulates.

http://precision.thomasnet.com/ImgMedium/X-Ring.jpg

x-ring
http://wardsweb.org/busa/gear/didxringsect.jpg

o-ring
http://wardsweb.org/busa/gear/diasecty.gif

underpowered
07-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Why would a Oring have more strength?

just look at the tensile stregth of differnt chains in a book. an o-ring or X-ring chian has a much higher break strength than a standard chain does. any wayyou look at it an o-ring or x-ring is better unless you are looking to get an extra 1/10 of a HP out of you engine by running a cheaper less durable chain.

86 quad r-- ok let me get this straight, you say a standard chain will alst just as long as an o-ring chain because you say the dirt, grime eats the o-rings and wears out the chain? well just think a no o-ring chain has no o-rings to eat, so the same stuff eating you o-rings just wears the chain right away instead or having to wear teh o-rings first and then the actuall chain. an well maintaied o-ring chain will outlast a well maintained standard chain ateast 3 to 1, usually much more than that. i am lucky to get two rides out of a standard chain and have had my x-ring on my bike for close to two years now and have only adjusted it once, it still has only minimal play in it after two a lot of hard rides.

CannondaleRider
07-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Clean non o-ring vs. clean o-ring yields about 1HP more...

1HP isn't worth throwing a chain, demolishing a case, and DNFing a race.

A non o-ring chain WILL wear faster

I run an X-ring to be exact.

86 Quad R
07-24-2006, 09:53 AM
what im saying underpowered is that when ya start loosing the o-rings in a chain. the gap is increased 4 X's that of what it is between the links of a non o-ring.

look at it this way.......... if an o-ring is lost on one side of the chain that creates a gap for slack, causing the link to slide over and causing the o-ring on the other side to be farther exposed to the elements and ultimately loosing that one aswell. when this happens you now have approximately 3/16" of side to side slack. not to mention the wide open area it creates letting larger amounts of grit in.

when this happens to several links the result is a chain that has several places of tremendous side to side slack, getting all sorts of trash in between the rollers and pins.(causing the chain to jump regularly) a regular chain wont have THIS sort of slack and if it is lubed regularly will in fact repell small grit from getting between the links themselves.

as mentioned i ride the creeks ALOT and the chain is almost always submerged/churning sand and water and with the RPM's that i turn i cant afford the chain(o-rings) to start coming apart.

therefore with the type riding i do. the non o-ring is best suited.

1fst400
07-24-2006, 01:47 PM
im no geinus. but im prety shure when the o-rings or x-rings are lost or chewed out, there isnt slop in the chain side to side becaue it is build so that they wont.

PismoLocal
07-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I run non o-ring chains, I really dont see the point in spending a lot of money on X or O-ring chains because I replace mine every year anyways. To me it doesn't matter how long it lasts as long as it lasts a year I'm happy.

I agree with chino about lubing, I lube my chain before and after every ride, I use WD-40 as lube when I ride the dunes/beach and I use chain wax when ever I ride track.

I have never bought an o-ring or x ring chain I always thought that it was kind of a gimmick. I'm sure they are great but I cant see spending $60-$90 on a chain being worth it.

I ride mostly dunes which is nothing but salt water and sand and I have had good experiences with standard chains so far. I think if you keep up on your chain maintenance and your chain is properly adjusted and lubed you shouldn't have a problem with any type of chain you buy.

Edit: I also only buy 8000lb+ chains for peice of mind.

PismoLocal
07-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I just got an idea one of you guys with a good job should take one for the team and buy 3 chians an O-ring, a X-ring and a standard chain and see which one lasts the longest. They would all have to be the same tensile strength though. That way we can settle this once and for all. :cool:

buck naked-r
07-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I just got an idea one of you guys with a good job should take one for the team and buy 3 chians an O-ring, a X-ring and a standard chain and see which one lasts the longest. They would all have to be the same tensile strength though. That way we can settle this once and for all. :cool:

well i was looking for more power out of the chain...:ermm:

firefighterjosh
07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Lets just say I have never had any problems with my Non O - ring chain. But I have had some problems with a o-ring chain breaking. It was my fault thought. Its was my first quad and I didn't know anything about it. I run non o-ring because there cheap and if you take care of them you will have no problems.