PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to install a piston?

mattonln
07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey, i've been contemplating buying a JE piston and I wanna know how hard it actually is to put it in. It can't be that hard, right? its just a few bolts and pins and gaskets. I want the low-down because I really don't feal like paying a shop $600 to put in a new piston and rings... I'm looking for a good walkthrough of a piston/rings, and re-assembly installation. Thanks guys, I know you can help me out!

exrider23
07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Really if you have a little bit of mechanic skills it not that hard...but when u put it back together u have to know how to re-time it......My suggestion is to buy a clymers manual.....it will guide u step-by-step....it really is a bg help...it breaks down the whole quad and explains everything...hope i helped

White7
07-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Its easy just take your time and double check everything,Its worth the effort

You can download the Manual HERE (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=13804)

DirtDevilBT
07-20-2006, 01:25 AM
You will need to gap the rings with a fine file. Other than getting the rings into the cylinder without nicking one and putting the other C clip on, it's pretty clear cut if you follow the manual.

The gapping the rings is just work needed to be done but getting that damn wristpin clip on is a bitc.h!

07-20-2006, 10:07 AM
that's exactly right.
it sucks.

DirtDevilBT
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by force
that's exactly right.
it sucks.
woo, don't scare him away from trying. It is deffinately not worth 600 dollars in labor. I wish more people lived near los angeles with these types of problems, I don't mind helping once in a while. Try to find someone that can do it near you.

cals400ex
07-20-2006, 04:37 PM
get a manual. read it, understand it, and make sure you have all the proper tools. its not that bad. getting the rings into the cylinder is much easier than that last clip. the first one isn't hard....put it in before you put the piston in the cylinder

mattonln
07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
hey, thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll probably just buy a piston and try it and, worse case scenario, i just have to pull my motor out and take it to the shop and say, "FIX THIS BIATCH!". Thanks again guys, It sounds like a project I can tackle!

DirtDevilBT
07-21-2006, 12:57 AM
strong needle nose pliars and small screwdriver will work for the clip. Put the "drivers" side clip in first when it's on the table, make sure the big valve pockets are facing the back. Put it all together on the "passenger" side. Makes it a little easier to work on the last clip without all the cables in the way.

PUT A RAG over the cases, you really really don't want to drop anything down there.:eek2: