PDA

View Full Version : Primary Drive-Chains/sprockets Review

PismoLocal
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I just thought I would post up a review of their drive components because I have been pleasantly surprised with there durability.

I am currently on my second set of Primary drive sprockets and chains and will be on my third set shortly. I change my sprockets and chain about once every 12-18 months. I just ordered a new chain and sprockets yesterday even though my current set isn't worn to the point where it needs replacement (I like to buy new ones for peice of mind any ways). I have never broken a tooth off of a primary drive sprocket and I have never brocken a primary drive chain. I tend to be meticulous with my maintenance schedule and maybe thats why I haven't had problems with my sprockets or chains, but for the price of primary drive parts I think that they are the best value sprockets and chains I have come across. I ride dunes and mx alternating between the two every weekend and their chains and sprockets have never let me down yet.
I'm not saying all there stuff is good but as far as there drive components go they are great value. I was reluctant to buy from them because usually you get what you pay for so when you buy cheap parts you get cheap parts, but I have never had a problem with them and they have proven there value and durability in my book.

bwamos
07-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I agree.

Wildbrain
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
YEP !!!
What he said.

PismoLocal
07-19-2006, 05:29 PM
ya a bunch of guys I ride with say that Primary drive stuff is crap but I couldn't imagine paying $60 for a chain and $70 for sprockets when your going to change them out in a year anyways.

250r4life
07-19-2006, 10:50 PM
thats what we put on all the raptors and what not in our groups... whenever anybody in our goup buys a raptor, we order a 12 tooth front from primary drive, and they have been just fine for use, especially for half of the price of like a renthal or other brand

rooster300ex
07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I run primary drive 14/38 with my 20in tires and have never had a problem. With my 18in rears i run a 36T JT sprocket from magicracing.com

QuadJunkies
07-20-2006, 10:37 AM
We use the same ones and I cant agree more!!!

Good stuff!

xc400ex
07-21-2006, 04:34 PM
I race xc on my 450r and it has left me stranded 2 times from primary drive chains.I also had one on my 400ex, which also left me stranded. I believe they were both the strongest x ring chain rocky mountain sold. This has happened over the past 2 years I suppose. Two of them broke the pin through the rollers and the other one snapped a link away from the master link. I highly recommend everyone staying away from them. The chains wear excellent and you think they're gonna last, until they snap!

QuadJunkies
07-22-2006, 12:08 AM
I guess we have been fortunate..

We also have had good luck with the DID.

PismoLocal
07-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by xc400ex
I race xc on my 450r and it has left me stranded 2 times from primary drive chains.I also had one on my 400ex, which also left me stranded. I believe they were both the strongest x ring chain rocky mountain sold. This has happened over the past 2 years I suppose. Two of them broke the pin through the rollers and the other one snapped a link away from the master link. I highly recommend everyone staying away from them. The chains wear excellent and you think they're gonna last, until they snap!
I've never had a problem with them but even the strongest chains will break if they aren't adjusted properly.

xc400ex
07-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Think what you want, I could care less, I've been riding quads with chains for 14 years and racing them for 4 years. Nobody but me works on my quads whether its chain replacement or crank replacement so I think I know how to keep my chain adjusted buddy. Matter of fact theres nothing I'd like to see more than all my competitors using primary drive chains, but I'll never run another one. Any chain will last puttin around, but thats not how my quads are run.

07-23-2006, 04:34 PM
ya i have never had a problem with mine i have been using them for 3yrs now and you can't say i don't ride mine hard. but it seems like your the only 1 that has a problem with pd:ermm:

QuadJunkies
07-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I've never had a problem with them but even the strongest chains will break if they aren't adjusted properly. ;)

xc400ex
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Do you even ride in the woods? Its by far the hardest on a chain. I remember when you came on this site and remember you gettin into racing, so like I said I got 14 years at this stuff I run A class in the midsouth series and I don't screw with junk products like primary drive so don't ;) at the chain being adjusted wrong. Also I have been on this site since before 2003, just with a different user name.

Wildbrain
07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Do you even ride in the woods? Its by far the hardest on a chain. I remember when you came on this site and remember you gettin into racing, so like I said I got 14 years at this stuff I run A class in the midsouth series and I don't screw with junk products like primary drive so don't ;) at the chain being adjusted wrong. Also I have been on this site since before 2003, just with a different user name. :muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :cuss: :cuss: :muscle: :muscle: :muscle::muscle:

BEFORE....... 2003

PismoLocal
07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Do you even ride in the woods? Its by far the hardest on a chain. I remember when you came on this site and remember you gettin into racing, so like I said I got 14 years at this stuff I run A class in the midsouth series and I don't screw with junk products like primary drive so don't ;) at the chain being adjusted wrong. Also I have been on this site since before 2003, just with a different user name.
No I don't ride in the woods at all I ride mostly at the pismo dunes/beach in California I race motorcross locally and I would have to argue that salt water and sand are equally corrosive on chains as woods riding.

I'm sorry you have had bad luck with the PD stuff, my experience on the other hand has been a good one and thats why I wrote the product review. I was just stating that the primary drive chains and sprockets in my experience have done exactly what they were intended to do. Both chains and all 4 sprockets I had on my 400 worked great, and from the looks of it everyone else has been satisfied too.

QuadJunkies
07-24-2006, 11:33 PM

Who was you referring to?

PismoLocal
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Who was you referring to?
Now that I read over it I think he was referring to me at the top of the page and then you the post after that.

QuadJunkies
07-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Pismo~~ As long as YOUR happy with your results, thats what counts. There is TONS of product out there that people swear buy that others think are junk(I am one of them :p ) There will ALWAYS be someone who doesnt like the same thing so its all good.

There is alot of good products out there, and ALOT of NOT so good products....

Thanks for the review. ;)

xc400ex
07-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Wildbrain
:muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :cuss: :cuss: :muscle: :muscle: :muscle::muscle:

BEFORE....... 2003

Whats so funny about that?:huh

2001400exrida
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
this thread cracked me up. Any of you guys still running the PD setups? I'm currently on my first chain and sprocket set, and it's not stretching and seems to be good quality.

deathman53
01-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I had their stuff, I stiill will use the sprockets. I refuse to use their chain. I had it on my dirtbike for about a year, it hardly stretched. I took the bike to a mx track(blue diamond atv track-and we all know how lame it is) and the chain snapped. Glad it didn't happen in the woods. I did have DID x-ring chains start coming apart(the rollers on the pins breaking), but never snapped one.