PDA

View Full Version : Getting more top end out of my 400ex

billawright
07-18-2006, 11:50 PM
I purchase a 2005 400ex right before the 4th of july. I love the quad and im glad I got it. But I was wondering what are some things I could do to make it faster? Now of course I know putting a full exhaust system and jetting it will wake it up alot but will it increase the top speed on it? I figure doing a sprocket change on it will do it but I have no idea on going about doing something like that. Anyways im open to all ideas and opinions :)

400eXr1d3rZ
07-19-2006, 01:15 AM
For more top end I think loose a tooth on the front sprocket. A full system exhaust isnt going to "wake" your quad up, youll receive a little power, not alot. But drop a tooth on the front sprocket and that should do it.

firefighterjosh
07-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Smaller Sprocket in the front adds Accerlation and decreases top end
Larger sprocket in the front adds top end and decreases acceleration.

billawright
07-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. im wondering if I should go with a larger sprocket in the front after I do a full sports or iroman HMF system and jet. I figure with the little power I gain it will make up for it when I loose some of the acceleration.

krt400ex
07-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Smaller Sprocket in the front adds Accerlation and decreases top end
Larger sprocket in the front adds top end and decreases acceleration.

he's right. the other guy was thinkin' of the rear sprocket

krt400ex
07-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by billawright
Thanks for the replies. im wondering if I should go with a larger sprocket in the front after I do a full sports or iroman HMF system and jet. I figure with the little power I gain it will make up for it when I loose some of the acceleration.

that's the way to go