PDA

View Full Version : 97 Scrambler smokes too much

Mountain Home
07-18-2006, 09:25 PM
1997 400 scrambler 4x4

my quad smokes alot more than it should. i took it to the local polairs dealer and he said it was ok, the more it smokes the better. but i have acouple buddies with the same bikes and theirs don't smoke half as much as mine. when riden for 15-20 minutes it don't smoke as bad, but still smokes.

wanting to put in a big bore kit, but people have told me i don't need to get the 440 because i could get a smaller one and still have the same amount of HP or maybe more. how much will it cost when it is all said and done?

any ideas?

firefighterjosh
07-18-2006, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't say the more it smokes the better but It dosen't sounds bad. When did it start smoking more? Did you do something to it? Or did it just happen? Scramblers are oil injected correct?

Try Changing your Plug!

bwamos
07-25-2006, 08:40 AM
The 97 Scrambler 400 is a 2-stroke, correct?

You're probably just putting in more pre-mix than the guys you ride with.

Mountain Home
07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
The 97 Scrambler 400 is a 2-stroke, correct?

You're probably just putting in more pre-mix than the guys you ride with.

it is oil injected.. don't have to mix it
i don't know what the problem could be

ybid4u
08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
I have a 96 400 scrambler that had the same problem . Smoked like a campfire and smelled to high heaven. Here is what will happen, on a two stroke , too much oil will ruin the piston and head. Sounds weird but thats the way it is. My motor eventually blew up, from too much oil , and I had to get it overhauledand bored out. Heres what I do : I buy small cans of premix oil at my local atv dealer called "Golden Spectro" Mix it with 5 galons of gas and you are set. Dont use the injector on the 400 as they are unreliable. With The Golden Spectro you will NOT have smoke or odor!

Good Luck!

redexrider
08-25-2006, 09:07 PM
I do not have a scrambler but YBID4U is very correct, I had the oil injection system on my jet ski and it blew the motor do to too much oil. I had the sytem removed/capped off and pre mixed it myself. this assure a proper mix and smooth ride... get rid of the injection system.